Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Well do feel free to read the post I quoted, the whole thing, not just the top part, It couldn't have been more specifically aimed at women, and their manner of speech.

Here it is again

I've found I've picked up all kinds of new ways of speaking, often from the younger people that I associate with.

I'm sure some of those phrasings would massively irritate a few of the folks on here.

But in my experience, new words, and ways of expressing ideas - so long as they are intelligible - can more easily introduce new concepts - and fresh new ways of thinking.

Intelligibility is the key though :wacko:

Some new phrases stick, some don't, but without new words and phrases we'd still all be speaking Middle English .
I do struggle to understand why 'some' Men want to sound like a macho, streetwise gangster tough-guy and, 'some' Women want to sound dippy and like a little girl lost.

What's that all about then? Be yourselves, not fake.. You will be respected more for it :okay:

Last edited:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
You just know whoever came up with that got paid handsomely and felt ridiculously proud of themselves, and that both of these rewards are entirely unearned.
But on the over hand it's become ingrained into peoples' memories, which is what was intended.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I do struggle to understand why 'some' Men want to sound like a macho, streetwise gangster tough-guy and, 'some' Women want to sound dippy and like a little girl lost.

What's that all about then? Be yourselves, not fake.. You will be respected more for it :okay:

No idea why some guys do that.
Old school posturing in front of their mates perhaps??

Women.?? Because they're trying to appease, avoid being attacked, they may lack confidence, have had experience of being shouted down, or ignored.

They've often received injunctions from day one, to 'be nice' 'be compliant' 'don't make a fuss' 'don't offend the alpha (edit - or insecure) males, with your knowledge and opinions'

That won't get you anywhere..

It's all about trying to stay small, and inoffensive.

There's a long list of words that can be chucked at women if they don't do that.
' Uppity' being just one of many.

Ignoring all that, and carrying on regardless, is quite an effort in itself :rolleyes:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You just know whoever came up with that got paid handsomely and felt ridiculously proud of themselves, and that both of these rewards are entirely unearned.
Probably not, in fact. More likely a mediocre mind on a (richly merited) modest salary, with just enough imagination to 'know his limitations', as Clint might say.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'd find that carriage number thing handy.

My regular train back from London splits at Salisbury.

Us country bumpkins have to make sure we're in the front three carriages, so as not to be left behind.

But we hang out in the more spacious carriages at the back for as long as possible.

There's always a slight uncertainty as to whether we've gone far enough forward come the moment..

... Some of us really can make a big ol drama, out of not very much :blush:
My train doesn't split, making the announcements redundant.

Anyway, in your example of needing to be in the front 3 carriages, are you certain theat 1-3 are at the front? Do carriages renumber on the reverse journey? And do the recorded messages update accordingly?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My train doesn't split, making the announcements redundant.

Anyway, in your example of needing to be in the front 3 carriages, are you certain theat 1-3 are at the front? Do carriages renumber on the reverse journey? And do the recorded messages update accordingly?

It seems to be generally accepted protocol on the Waterloo Line, that the carriages at the end of the train that is travelling forwards, are known as 'the front carriages'

It may be different on other lines.

I will make a point of checking next time I'm on another route.

I can't wait to see the guards face..

"Excuse me.. Which is the front end of the train"

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have lost all faith in my pub quiz 'spot that lyric' abilities.

In fact I have Faith no More :rolleyes:

In my defence the RaTM wurds are similar.

Maybe its a sample.
Let's go and have a look @winjim

:rolleyes:

From the previous page :okay:

Do try to keep up dear :becool:

JPBoothy

Veteran
No idea why some guys do that.
Old school posturing in front of their mates perhaps??

Women.?? Because they're trying to appease, avoid being attacked, they may lack confidence, have had experience of being shouted down, or ignored.

They've often received injunctions from day one, to 'be nice' 'be compliant' 'don't make a fuss' 'don't offend the alpha males, with your knowledge and opinions'

That won't get you anywhere..

It's all about trying to stay small, and inoffensive.

There's a long list of words that can be chucked at women if they don't do that.
' Uppity' being just one of many.

Ignoring all that, and carrying on regardless, is quite an effort in itself :rolleyes:
I can understand that in Women from a certain generation 'and it annoys me that anybody should be made to feel that way' but, the current generation of Women/Girls were born in the times of the great equality/sexism battle, and a lot would not think twice about telling those Alpha types to #### off, so I don't think it is for that same reason these days.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I can understand that in Women from a certain generation 'and it annoys me that anybody should be made to feel that way' but, the current generation of Women/Girls were born in the times of the great equality/sexism battle, and a lot would not think twice about telling those Alpha types to #### off, so I don't think it is for that same reason these days.

Hmmn, it varies, but old habits, conditioning, and feelings, die hard.

There's still a lot of pushback against the idea of true equality.. Peruse some of these pages, for evidence... :rolleyes:

I train quite a few young women, it's still the case that they will all too easily capitulate to a louder, and more 'authoratitive' guy. So as not to seem. 'pushy'

Even if they have absolutely no real reason to feel inferior. :blink:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hmmn, it varies, but old habits, conditioning, and feelings, die hard.

There's still a lot of pushback against the idea of true equality.. Peruse some of these pages, for evidence... :rolleyes:

I train quite a few young women, it's still the case that they will all too easily capitulate to a louder, and more 'authoratitive' guy. So as not to seem. 'pushy'

Even if they have absolutely no real reason to feel inferior. :blink:
Don't have it girls, fight back:boxing:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don't have it girls, fight back:boxing:

i know you jest , but instead of all this fightiness ...

Couldn't we all just be a little bit less combative for a moment, and pause ,

think even, take a breath and go

" Ok you know what i'm going to do ? "

"I'm going to listen - and listen - real hard "

Cos right now there's an awful lot of shouting, and heat, and light, and noise, about some pretty dumb stuff.

But no ones paying enough attention to the important things.

If the 'girls' have to shout to get heard then that's just more shouting , energy wasted, still no ones listening.

same old same old.

Could we try doing it a different, more cooperative way perhaps ?? :hello:

JPBoothy

Veteran
i know you jest , but instead of all this fightiness ...

Couldn't we all just be a little bit less combative for a moment, and pause ,

think even, take a breath and go

" Ok you know what i'm going to do ? "

"I'm going to listen - and listen - real hard "

Cos right now there's an awful lot of shouting, and heat, and light, and noise, about some pretty dumb stuff.

But no ones paying enough attention to the important things.

If the 'girls' have to shout to get heard then that's just more shouting , energy wasted, still no ones listening.

same old same old.

Could we try doing it a different, more cooperative way perhaps ?? :hello:
I didn't mean physically fighting back 😂 .. I have worked in a large factory for the past 30yrs and it had always been rife with the 'old school' chauvinistic, racist, dinosaur types but, I have seen a change for the better over the past 10yrs so attitudes are heading in the right direction and, like the dinosaurs, the remaining minority will hopefully soon die out too. Anyway, I won't bore everybody any longer with my lengthy twaddle as I can waffle on forever given the chance so that is my last word on the subject (honest!) :cuppa:

Top Bottom