Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Has anybody heard of the Bulls### Bingo game?

As a variation of the game, there was a jury trial involving the assault of several police officers in a chip shop.

Knowing about the case, I suggested to the prosecutor (now a judge) that one of the police officers was 'battered'.

Opening the case to the jury, he said: "In the ensuing fracas, one of the officers was knocked to the floor of the chip shop, leaving him bruised and battered."

He then moved seamlessly on to the next part of his opening.

If any of the jury noticed the joke, they gave no indication.

It was a rather weak joke, but humour can be in short supply in the criminal court, so you take what you can get.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Rage Against the Machine :rolleyes:
Oh dear, lose all your points.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Train announcements are especially annoying. My train to Croydon used to announce the number of my carriage every couple of minutes. Never quite worked out the purpose of it.

For the last few years there's an annoying security awareness slogan which also repeats frequently:
See it. Say it. Sorted.

Shut up!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Train announcements are especially annoying. My train to Croydon used to announce the number of my carriage every couple of minutes. Never quite worked out the purpose of it.

For the last few years there's an annoying security awareness slogan which also repeats frequently:
See it. Say it. Sorted.

Shut up!

I'd find that carriage number thing handy.

My regular train back from London splits at Salisbury.

Us country bumpkins have to make sure we're in the front three carriages, so as not to be left behind.

But we hang out in the more spacious carriages at the back for as long as possible.

There's always a slight uncertainty as to whether we've gone far enough forward come the moment..

... Some of us really can make a big ol drama, out of not very much :blush:

Gunk

Guru
Its one of those like, unnecessary words like that like people put in their sentences for like no reason?

My daughters seem to have started doing this. I counter it by taking them at their word.

Good to see I’m not the only grumpy Dad out there, my teenagers have the same habit, and I also respond appropriately 🙄

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Epic fail, in fact.

I have lost all faith in my pub quiz 'spot that lyric' abilities.

In fact I have Faith no More :rolleyes:

In my defence the RaTM wurds are similar.

Maybe its a sample.
Let's go and have a look @winjim

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I'm not sure what a 'discourse marker' is, but if it's the thing that makes cold-callers call me 'yourself' rather than 'you', then I agree.
I gave a longer explanation here:
Discourse markers. They have many uses, fillers while the speaker thinks what to say next, to emphasise what is being said, or soften the effect, to question if the listener understands and need the speaker say more, (at this point in informal speech I could well say "know what I mean?"). They are a fascinating subject and say a lot about the speaker and how they see their place in society. For instance when I was interviewing certain people for a social history project, the interviewee would use completely different markers after he found out that I was a graduate, indicating, perhaps, that although intelligent he saw himself as not as educated as he might have been, which would give me a clue to ask questions about how the troubles had affected his school life.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Good to see I’m not the only grumpy Dad out there, my teenagers have the same habit, and I also respond appropriately 🙄
I have a teenage boy and girl. One tends to shout everything and the other mumbles everything and then tells me it is my old ears at fault not her voice. They also speak so quickly (fast mumbling) that only by recording it and playing it back at half speed would I have any idea what was being said :wacko:

Top Bottom