Physiotherapy on the NHS - what a joke!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mik

Well its run by the East Lancs Hospitals (NHS Trust) so I cant imagine there would be a problem ( Blackburn is after all in East Lancs). It's based in the Accrington Pals medical centre in Accrington. Perhaps you could give them a ring before attending just to clear things. If you can get in I can recommend it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well its run by the East Lancs Hospitals (NHS Trust) so I cant imagine there would be a problem ( Blackburn is after all in East Lancs). It's based in the Accrington Pals medical centre in Accrington. Perhaps you could give them a ring before attending just to clear things. If you can get in I can recommend it.

Just rung them and passed on your compliments but unfortunately the "instant attention" bit only applies to back pain sufferers like you. Knee pain has to join the queue and that "could be mid November"!

Anyway I have just arranged to see someone locally tomorrow morning on BUPA. Damn it, I pay £78.20 a month for family membership so why not....?

mik

Just rung them and passed on your compliments but unfortunately the "instant attention" bit only applies to back pain sufferers like you. Knee pain has to join the queue and that "could be mid November"!

Anyway I have just arranged to see someone locally tomorrow morning on BUPA. Damn it, I pay £78.20 a month for family membership so why not....?

Didn't realise that I thought it was for any complaint that might require physiotherapy. So apologies. I hope you get your knee sorted sooner rather than later.

...if this weather holds I'm hoping to be pedaling gently around the quiet flat lanes around the Fylde coast this weekend and a few weeks ago I wouldnt have put money on ever walking normally again never mind cycling....

And thanks for passing on my compliments...

mangaman

This was I was trying to say globalti - sorry if my post was a bit waffly.

A generic physio - be they NHS or private may not know a lot about sports injuries. I'd be a bit careful and try to ask around - word of mouth is a good guide and if the physio comes with a decent reputation and a sports background, they'll be fine.

A physio who's not from a sports background could do more harm than good potentially.

Bill Gates

You might have to wait but it could be well worth it. I also had to wait 6 weeks to see the NHS physio for a shoulder neck problem. The Physio that I saw expertly identified the problem and showed me some strengthening exercises and stretches to do. On subsequent visits she added to the list of exercises and the problem went away. I still do them every now and again. I've also been to see chiropractors and osteopaths in the past and paid out shed loads.

IMO a good physio is well worth the wait.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Having played rugby as a younger man and picked up many injuries I've had more than my share of NHS physio therapy over the years. There has always been a wait for non-serious non-debilitating not-stopping-you working conditions. Round here the wait is no longer than it always has been, about 6 weeks. If you feel you can't wait find a good private physio, I'd suggest one who works with a local pro or semi pro sports club is a good indicator, and hand over your pictures of the Queen.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my gripe, when i broke a collar-bone ligament, was not the quality of the physio (no real wait for it either), but the fact that the consultant kept telling me not to ride my bike.

eventually i made the point that the accident was as a result of riding close to the rider in front on a training ride, with a lapse of concentration causing me to go down heavily. i told him that my general health would probably suffer through not riding, and that i could ride perfectly upright and safely without falling off. i did have to promise to stay off other people's back wheel for a while…

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went to the Bury Physio & Sports Injury Clinic on BUPA (cost was £36) and she checked my knees, told me they were fine and gave me some stretching exercises to do after riding. Did them after the next ride and.... I have to admit that the knees do feel better.

RedBike

I had to wait just over 2 months.

The NHS physios arn't a patch on the private ones, but I can't afford to keep paying out £40 a week to go private.

Not quite physio, but had plenty of it over the years, some useless, some dangerous and damagaing, some excellent.

I had an accident 17 years ago (no health insurance) which left me with my wrist constantly dislocating (20 - 30 times a day) and in chronic pain; it also left me slightly paralysed down the that side of my body. I have been from one consultant to another until I was finally referred me to someone who actually knew what the problem was and he has only performed the operation less than 10 times in his very long career - recovered really well over several years, took 6 years to get cycling again and was treated really well once I finally found someone who knew what the issue was (at one point my then GP referred me to a psychiatrist who put my GP straight - the pain was real and not in my head and my wrist was dislocating).

I have had years of physio, occupational therapy, accupuncture, pain management and all sorts including 11 operations on it.

Now I have a problem again with my left hand - it has gone partially numb again, (but this time much worse) and very weak (new sympton), but becuase it is 18 months since I last saw my consultant, I have got to go through the NHS triage team to see someone who can decide if I can go back on the waiting list to see my consultant. It has taken nearly 2 months just to get to the traige team. The appt is on Monday next week. If I can get to my consultant, then I know I will get the treatment I need, if the damage is not now permanent. If I can't convince the traige team to refer me without messing around and wasting their and my time, then I am going to have to accept that my left hand is now seriously impaired (I can't hold a fork down to cut food up/use my front brakes/use the indicators when driving my automatic which already has a steering ball on the steering wheel - the list goes on). I would cross my fingers for Monday's appt, but that is something else I can no longer do!

That said, there have been times when the NHS has been amazing - I'm a severe asthmatic and have been resusitated twice following severe attacks and been bitten by an adder (needing 3 days hospitalisation after a bad reaction to the venom) and have reached the conclusion that if the NHS thinks you are dying (there and then) they are amazing, but if you are not dying, then it is seriously hit and miss.

I work for the NHS and did my ankle in at work - had to beg the Occupational Health dept to refer me to our own physio dept. They agreed and great work was done.

I have a few pals ive met since the injury who are physios and I think (though i'll have to check on this) there are various levels of professional registration - all of whom can practice privately and call themselves a 'physiotherapist' The question is if you are being treated by those with the best professional rating - and thereby hopefully the best professional knowledge.

ps - if anyone needs a recommendation for a world class (private) physio in the Stockport area, give me a shout.

RedBike

[QUOTE 1172696"]
I'm always intrigued by this one. Where do you think private physios train and learn?

MrsUser76 also works privately, and does the same job for her patients. I think it has some basis in the fact that if you pay for a treatment you then do the 'homework', if you get the treatment free you are less inclined to do the 'homework'.
[/quote]

I've been seeing the NHS physios regularly and a private physio every month. Up to now they have (thankfully!) been doing / telling me exactly the same things. However, they way they've been done does vary! With the NHS physio they've got my medical records and they know what the problem is before I arrive. As such I'm out of there within 10mins. With the private physio they do all sorts of test and i'm in there for a good hour.

When I go private its the fact that they spend longer with you that imo make the difference.

For example. The NHS physio handed me a list of exercises and told me I needed to stretch / go swimming.
The private physio spent the time walking me through step by step how to stretch properly and gave me a routine to do. I now spend nearly 3hrs a day stretching, whereas I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have spent more than 10mins a day if I'd been left to just follow the NHS's sheet.

The NHS physio only treated my ankle (the injured part). Whereas the private physios spotted the fact I wasn't walking or sitting correctly due to a bad knee / back which was apparently being caused by the ankle.

My comment about the private phsyios being better than the NHS physio wasn't supposed to be a negative comment about the physiotherapists themselves. I'm sure that if the NHS had an hour+ to assess each patient they would do just as good a job.

E11a

The treatment I've had so far has been excellent and all on the NHS.

I saw my GP two weeks ago today about a knee injury and had an assessment with an NHS physio on the Friday where I was told about the treatment options and given exercises . I had another appointment with a physio today (still NHS), and have another one next week. The exercises really seem to be helping (and should help my cycling too :whistle:).

Unfortunately my GP hasn't had the x-rays that were taken over a week ago.

RedBike

[QUOTE 1172701"]
So, to paraphrase this. The free NHS physio treats your presenting problem, and you feel better. The private, who charges you £30ish a session, (£50 for the hour assessment?) manages to find lots of other things wrong with you which (which aren't an issue) you go back to them for and pay for them to treat?

The free physio says "Here are your exercises, are you ok with them?" The private one says "Sit down and let me bill you for an extra session which you could do as well by sitting down at home at reading this piece of paper"

As for the strecthing thing, well....... lets just say the jury is out (think bike helmets)
[/quote]

No, not at all. Its £30/£35 for the hour and IMO its been money well spent.

I am absolutely convinsed that the additional treatment from the private physio has knocked months off my recovery time.

Top Bottom