Pick one of these bike for me pls...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Postmanhat

I'd go for the Lombard based on having a Marin Sausalito till it got nicked recently. Excellent frame which endured a lot of abuse and weight. Mine had a triple chainset as well, which was a bit excessive, especially with an 11-32 cassette, but did come in handy on unexpected hills while touring.

That fuji is very good value though, so I'd probably go for that if I needed to spend more on extras. Possibly even a wheel/tyre upgrade?

OP
OP
D

dac

Which Fuji are you referring to? Bike 6 or 7?
Being a novice all I am looking to do is add some mud-guards and a pannier rack. I do not wish to change anything on the actual bike.

I HAVE ADDED 2 NEW BIKES TO THE ORIGINAL POST FOR ALL TO VIEW AS POSSIBLE PICKS.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans have a good test ride policy (just need photo ID and a bank card to swipe), given the length of your list and the fact you arent sure on what you want, I would suggest testing the Evans bikes and buying the one that best suits

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I see you like the Marin bikes. Why did you go for the Argenta over other bikes in the current sales?

I'm glad I've added this thread as I thought the Specialized Synapse, Giant Defy 4, GT GTS Expert would've been the picks due to the brands they are (but then again I am a novice).

Still seeking further picks/suggestions. Thanks all.
@dac i like Marins mainly because i have had a Bear Valley mtb since 1992 and its been a fantastic bike , why the Argenta because i have always wanted a Marin road bike and it came to me at a very favourable price as a barely used 2nd hand machine

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the OPs budget is around a max of £400 from the list and previous posts. The London road is £600 or more I think and a Specialized Diverge is bound to be!

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for the heads-up about stock tyres and wheels not being strong enough for a 16st rider or poor roads. I instinctively fought all new tyres/wheels would be handle my weight and a poorish road.
Okay, so are we saying due to my weight (16st) with the roads not being smooth or flat that ALL the pure roads bikes in my list (those being the GT Expert, Defy, Fuji, Saracen, Cannondales) should be forgotten? And instead I should just consider CX, Adventure and Touring bikes? Do you all agree on this?

Then I should only consider the Marin Lombard, Verenti Substance, Dawes Galaxy kinds of bikes? The Dawes touring bike has mud-guards and a rack as standard and it looks a sturdy bike but aren't the touring bikes slow and heavy? I still would like it to be lightish otherwise I would stick with my MTB. A aluminum frame should still be strong enough. Aren't the CX/Adventure bikes between a pure road bike and a touring bike for weight and speed?

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks for the heads-up about stock tyres and wheels not being strong enough for a 16st rider or poor roads. I instinctively fought all new tyres/wheels would be handle my weight and a poorish road.
Okay, so are we saying due to my weight (16st) with the roads not being smooth or flat that ALL the pure roads bikes in my list (those being the GT Expert, Defy, Fuji, Saracen, Cannondales) should be forgotten? And instead I should just consider CX, Adventure and Touring bikes? Do you all agree on this?

Then I should only consider the Marin Lombard, Verenti Substance, Dawes Galaxy kinds of bikes? The Dawes touring bike has mud-guards and a rack as standard and it looks a sturdy bike but aren't the touring bikes slow and heavy? I still would like it to be lightish otherwise I would stick with my MTB. A aluminum frame should still be strong enough. Aren't the CX/Adventure bikes between a pure road bike and a touring bike for weight and speed?

Speed doesn't appear on your original list, and at 101kg I wouldnt worry overly about whether the bike is 9 or 11kg.

At the same time, I was 90kg over the summer, I didn't feel like I needed to buy special wheels to handle the burgeoning weight - don't worry the bikes won't snap in half!

For your needs I'd say touring or hybrid best fits.

But if you're going to have fun at the weekend... :smile:

OP
OP
D

dac

Well that's it, I need the pannier for carrying my work clothes to and from work, but at the weekend I may want to go out and cycle 20 miles at some speed without carrying anything extra (i.e. no pannier bags attached).

OP
OP
D

dac

A rack doesn't way much, tortec ultralight for example
At the weekends when I would do 20 of quick speed I wouldn't remove the guards or rack. I would only remove the bags (and clothes).
I'm sort of swinging towards a sleek CX/Adventure bike. Not one built for remove CX events but simply a road bike built a little bigger and stronger for more stability with 28mm or 30mm tyres..
I shall be popping over to Evans in the next few days (do not know what they have in stock though).

vickster

Legendary Member
At the weekends when I would do 20 of quick speed I wouldn't remove the guards or rack. I would only remove the bags (and clothes).
I'm sort of swinging towards a sleek CX/Adventure bike. Not one built for remove CX events but simply a road bike built a little bigger and stronger for more stability with 28mm or 30mm tyres..
I shall be popping over to Evans in the next few days (do not know what they have in stock though).
Have a look at the Whyte bikes or the aforementioned London Road, will need to up budget with those extra savings accrued while procrastinating ;)

There might be something in Evans Pinnacle range which meets the spec

adamhearn

Veteran

Of course they will be; with your weight they'll be more than adequate. Maybe you will not achieve the same mileage as a rider with less weight but it actually depends more on riding style, luck with the road surface and your maintenance cycle. Put some wider rubber on the wheels 25/28, inflate to 90 ish PSI and you'll have a great ride.

Having 12 models in a short list would suggest you have not really made up your mind up on what it is you're after. As ever, the response should always be ride as many as you can [ideally on the same route] and choose the one which is most comfortable. It's probable you'll find several options that you like riding in which case look at warranties as well as component specs, LBS support, etc.

P.S. I have a Synapse with 28mm tyres on Shimano RS-10 wheels (16/20 front/rear spokes), weigh more than you and have done several thousand miles.

OP
OP
D

dac

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to three bikes. The bikes chosen are due to the deals I can get on them as well as the type of bike they are. The bikes are:

1) Norco Search S3 for £370
My pros: || My cons:
Disc brake || No dual brake levers
Evans customer care ||

2) Claud Butler Alto CX13 for £420
Disc brake || Horrid colour
Dual brake levers || Buying online
Felt good and study to sit on || Most expensive
Biggest saving from RRP ||

3) Specialized Tricross X3 2014 for £370
Dual brake levers || No disc brake
Good reputation || Lower spec'ed components
High resell value || Buying online

I know they aren't the most expensive bikes but I'm comfortable that for the price they are good bikes (bang for buck).

So which one is it?

BTW the Marin Lombard would've been about £450 but it wouldn't have dual brake levers and I do think those are needed as three miles of my journey will be in busy traffics junctions. Adding them would make it £500.

Last edited:
Top Bottom