Pick one of these bike for me pls...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to three bikes. The bikes chosen are due to the deals I can get on them as well as the type of bike they are. The bikes are:

1) Norco Search S3 for £370
My pros: || My cons:
Disc brake || No dual brake levers
Evans customer care ||

2) Claud Butler Alto CX13 for £420
Disc brake || Horrid colour
Dual brake levers || Buying online
Felt good and study to sit on || Most expensive
Biggest saving from RRP ||

3) Specialized Tricross X3 2014 for £370
Dual brake levers || No disc brake
Good reputation || Lower spec'ed components
High resell value || Buying online

I know they aren't the most expensive bikes but I'm comfortable that for the price they are good bikes (bang for buck).

So which one is it?

BTW the Marin Lombard would've been about £450 but it wouldn't have dual brake levers and I do think those are needed as three miles of my journey will be in busy traffics junctions. Adding them would make it £500.

would still suggest you actually go and try a few bikes before making a decision

vickster

Legendary Member
would still suggest you actually go and try a few bikes before making a decision
This ^^^ did you get a ride of the Diverge?

OP
OP
D

dac

You're close to eating your words but not quite :tongue: - didn't ride a Diverge but did ride on a Cannondale Synapse 2016 model with 105 gearing in a size 61cm. Felt great. Light and quick. I then tried the Norco Search S3 with Sora gearing in a size 58cm. I now know that I am a 61cm for sure.
I loved how light and quick the Synapse was but the let down is that I cannot fit a pannier or mud-guards (well not secure mud-guards) on the bike. The Norco Search S3 certainly was heavier but solid. The Sora gearing wasn't as smooth as the 105 that's for sure. They did not have anything bigger than a 58cm. I was surprised that I felt comfortable on the hoods, not sure I need dual brake levers but they would be nice.

So back to scanning the sites tonight for bikes in the size 61cm. No doubt I will post more and ask for your advice.

Why do some manufacturers make sizes no larger than 58.5cm? I'm thinking of the Giant Defys in particular. Do Giant not want the business of chaps of the taller kind as the Defys largest size is a 58.5cm

OP
OP
D

dac

Just spotted it - thanks to you. I'm defo liking it. There is also a deal on the Synapse and the normal CAAD. I do like the Synapse I rode today but it must be able to take a rack. The CADDX doesn't have a disc break - not sure if it matters.
Now going to work out the difference between the CAAD, CAADX and the Synapse.
At the moment, the Claud Butler CX13, Marin Lombard, and the CAAD and the CAADX have the lead, plus a Giant Defy 4. Now working out which can take racks and guard and a 28mm tyre.

And thanks for the link on geometry sizing. It answers a lot of questions.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't need disc brakes on a 10 mile commute. About 5 years ago (if that) there were almost no roadbikes with discs (if any)

The Caad is a more aggressive roadbike than the Synapse and presumably also no rack points and even less clearance for mudguards. I seem to think you want a more upright bike

You now have a good shortlist, go test ride the bloody things ;)

adamhearn

Veteran
Vickster's post is spot on though I'd say a disc brake equipped model wouldn't be excluded if it was in/near budget. A test ride sorts pure model and the heart sorts out the specification :smile: Try to avoid the "it's only another xxx for yyy" :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Vickster's post is spot on though I'd say a disc brake equipped model wouldn't be excluded if it was in/near budget. A test ride sorts pure model and the heart Sorta out the specification :smile: and from a model that fitted; I wouldn't pay any significant amount for discs.
Especially as the ones on bikes in budget will be cheap mechanicals and not decent hydraulics

OP
OP
D

dac

I can't get to ride all the bikes before purchase, plus I don't want to eliminate these bikes I can't test as they are good deals.
I really have whittled it down to:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s23p5169/CANNONDALE-CAADX-SORA-2013
Doesn't have a disc brake but is 61cm which I know (from riding the 61cm Synapse) will fit fine. It also should take proper/sturdy mud-guards and rack fine. Should be sturdy for my weight.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Lombard-2015-Hybrid-Classic-Bike_75059.htm
Has a disc brake (albeit mechanical) and is able to fit proper/sturdy mud-guards and rack. The only worry is it is a 60cm size and I haven't ridden that geometry. Should be sturdy for my weight. Nice slick tyres as standard on this bike too.
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5233/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-ALLOY-SORA-2013
I test rode a Synapse Shimano 105 and it felt very nice - hence why the cheaper Synapse is on my final list. The problem is I would like to fit mud-guards and a) only the crappy road-racers style can be attached b) with mud-guards the max tyre width will be 25mm (not great for winter)

I have reluctantly ruled out the Claud Butler CX13 (below) as it does look awful but I have read less than impressive feedback on the brand recently. The crazy thing is the bike does have dual brake levers, and what looks like a good set of components (although I struggle to learn of them). It's largest size is 58cm so I do not know if this will be too short in the reach. With these faults I am ruling it out. I could've got it new for £430 so I could easily be persuaded to purchase it if suggested to.
http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p76646/Cl...aign=Adwords&gclid=CKreqrbHg8oCFSoEwwodYxsHyg

I have also ruled out the Giant Deft 4 - reason being the Synapse Sora 2013 will be the same quality and cheaper.

Now only down to three. So come on guys shut me up and tell me the best bang for buck. I will be purchasing on a cycle to work scheme so the price brand new means worthwhile over second hand. Which is it to be?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Disc brakes ;) :whistle:

Get hung up on the correct spelling, not having them on the bike :biggrin:

I'd have the CAADX based on your endless musings...

What are you like when buying a car or heaven forbid a house? :ohmy:

OP
OP
D

dac

The horizontal top bar is 1.01cm less on the CAADX to the Synapse. That should be fine.

Top Bottom