Pics of my Btwin Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Monkspeed.
Very nice cycle and I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyable use from it.
Enjoyed looking at the photo's,sure they will enable some else to make a similar selection.
In my experience Decathlon make very good value bikes.
(Too be honest I have just started visiting their shop,very impressed)
I have enough road bikes but recently bought a Decathlon mountain bike for winter riding etc,delighted with it.

Yours
Doug.
I also bought their own brand cycle computer,splendid and even for me not too difficult to set up.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to write to me.

I'm glad you like the pictures, I've uploaded some more since I started this thread but can't edit the initial post to add them. If anyone wishes to see them then I have put it all into my user gallery on this website.

According to my Bikeputer(tm) (which incidentally is a B'Twin Count 8) I've done approx ~740km since purchasing the bike. Its OK for the money, I'm under no illusion that its the best thing since sliced bread, but as a cheap introduction to road cycling, I think it would be difficult to beat.

I've had to change a few things to get the bike comfortable, I'm not sure if thats because the bike is a) "race geometry", b) I picked the wrong size, c) I'm just not use to riding a bike; but I had to change the stem to a 30 degree rise and shorter 90mm length and a zero setback seatpost.

Why don't you upload some pics of your bike too?

Cheers.

:smile:

kishan

gorgeous bike mate

Doug.

Veteran
Hi Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to write to me.

I'm glad you like the pictures, I've uploaded some more since I started this thread but can't edit the initial post to add them. If anyone wishes to see them then I have put it all into my user gallery on this website.

According to my Bikeputer(tm) (which incidentally is a B'Twin Count 8) I've done approx ~740km since purchasing the bike. Its OK for the money, I'm under no illusion that its the best thing since sliced bread, but as a cheap introduction to road cycling, I think it would be difficult to beat.

I've had to change a few things to get the bike comfortable, I'm not sure if thats because the bike is a) "race geometry", b) I picked the wrong size, c) I'm just not use to riding a bike; but I had to change the stem to a 30 degree rise and shorter 90mm length and a zero setback seatpost.

Why don't you upload some pics of your bike too?

Cheers.

Doug.

Veteran
Monkspeed.
Hello, I would like to post some photo's of my cycles but I do not know how too.
I'm afraid I have very little knowledge of computers and the incredible things one can do with them.
You mention frame size in a previous post,I am 6 ft. 2 ins. tall and my Decathlon mountain bike has the X.L. frame.
My two " self constructed" carbon road bikes have 58 c.m and 60 c.m. frames,the 2 c.m difference seems to make no difference.
Maybe I have adjusted other components accordingly (handle bars and seat) ?
I have the same bikeputer (as yours) on my mountain bike and it seems as good as any other make of similar spec,and a lot cheaper.
Very pleased you're "putting in the K's" and enjoying the cycle.
Yours
Doug.

Fubar

Guru
I bought and fit a Topeak Super Tourist DX on it. Fitted like a dream. It also acts as a mudguard so you would only need to find a front one. Halfords are selling the DX for £20, just reserve online and collect in store.

Hi Monkspeed, I am LOVING my Triban 3 at the mo!! I'm not too keen on fitting a pannier rack but could do with a rear mudguard, so any idea which ones would fit? I had a look at the Zefal Croozer's that someone else suggested but not too sure about them - they look a bit "make do and mend". Any suggestions gratefully received for something light and easy to fit!

Regards, Mark

Ruudy

Hello.

First of all: Brilliant pics of your Triban 3. I ordered mine last week and received it today and took it for a quick spin.
Secondly: Advanced apologies for slightly hijacking your topic.
The bike seems fine, but what struck me is that it seems quite small.
I'm quite new to the concept of owning a road bike, but I've done my research and am quite sure I've got the right size (frame size: 57, me:length: 5'10" or 178cm, inside leg 31".
When I measured the frame size from center of crank/bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube it was only 52cm!
I rang the shop and they said check the stickers etc. which I admit all say size 57.
Am I being stupid, measuring wrong or assuming wrong things. Or is there something else going on here.
Btw, I rang the shop and they told me that the measurement is right for this frame, but couldn't really tell me why it was 52 where it should be 57 according to me.

Help?!

DHL

Hello.

First of all: Brilliant pics of your Triban 3. I ordered mine last week and received it today and took it for a quick spin.
Secondly: Advanced apologies for slightly hijacking your topic.
The bike seems fine, but what struck me is that it seems quite small.
I'm quite new to the concept of owning a road bike, but I've done my research and am quite sure I've got the right size (frame size: 57, me:length: 5'10" or 178cm, inside leg 31".
When I measured the frame size from center of crank/bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube it was only 52cm!
I rang the shop and they said check the stickers etc. which I admit all say size 57.
Am I being stupid, measuring wrong or assuming wrong things. Or is there something else going on here.
Btw, I rang the shop and they told me that the measurement is right for this frame, but couldn't really tell me why it was 52 where it should be 57 according to me.

Help?!
Ruudy, I know its too late for you, but the following bikeradar link discusses the same issue that you identified.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12825419

D4ve

defy-one

I'm 5ft 10' and a bit. Initially went for the 57 frame,but felt a little cramped. Now i have the 60cm.
Great for legs and saddle,but found slightly stretched on the hoods. Easiest thing was to put a shorter stem on. Found an adjustable at my lbs and just experimenting with the stem angle now

Ruudy

Ruudy, I know its too late for you, but the following bikeradar link discusses the same issue that you identified.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12825419

D4ve

Hello Dave,
I figured out wat the issue was, my lack of knowledge on bikes :P
I'm riding the BTWIN into work every day and it's brilliant, when I have some time I take it out on the odd spin for some exercise as well. Absolutely loving it.
Position is nice as well. I stuck with the 57" and got the handlebars down quite low. I have no issues with the position what so ever. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Been reading this thread with interest since I recently bought a Triban 3 in 54 size for my son aged 13.

The first thing I did was change the tyres for some Specialized Pros I had in the shed, which have a deeper profile and are of a better quality all round so give a nicer ride. However this means there isn't enough clearance between the tyres and the frame bridges for even a set of Crud Roadracer guards so on the recent school C2C trip I taped the frame to protect the paint then ziptied a Crudcatcher to the downtube and a rear guard to the seat post.

All this was going well until his bottle jumped out of the bTwin bottle cage distracting him and causing him to crash. More about that elsewhere on CC but the damage to the bike was confined to twisted bars and one brake, soon rectified, as well as a bent front wheel. While trying - unsuccessfully - to straighten the rim I was shocked at the roughness of the bearings so I rang Decathlon, who I have always found to be very helpful and on the ball. Their Stockport branch supplies spare wheels at a cost of £24.99 for the front! My original idea was to persuade Decathlon to give me a replacement wheel on the strength of the poor condition of the bearings after only 50 miles or so but when I heard the price I decided to treat the bike to some better wheels, so have some on order for £95 at a LBS.

What I'm getting round to saying is that the wheels are the bike's weakest point in my opinion; they're cheap with poor quality bearings and soft rims, the rims weren't really true when we got the bike but that didn't bother me too much. Buyers of Triban 3s would do well to fit some better wheels, which should transform it into a really first class entry-level bike. You could always Ebay the original wheels.

.....oh and don't buy the bTwin bottle cage, it's rubbish.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Been reading this thread with interest since I recently bought a Triban 3 in 54 size for my son aged 13.

The first thing I did was change the tyres for some Specialized Pros I had in the shed, which have a deeper profile and are of a better quality all round so give a nicer ride. However this means there isn't enough clearance between the tyres and the frame bridges for even a set of Crud Roadracer guards so on the recent school C2C trip I taped the frame to protect the paint then ziptied a Crudcatcher to the downtube and a rear guard to the seat post.

All this was going well until his bottle jumped out of the bTwin bottle cage distracting him and causing him to crash. More about that elsewhere on CC but the damage to the bike was confined to twisted bars and one brake, soon rectified, as well as a bent front wheel. While trying - unsuccessfully - to straighten the rim I was shocked at the roughness of the bearings so I rang Decathlon, who I have always found to be very helpful and on the ball. Their Stockport branch supplies spare wheels at a cost of £24.99 for the front! My original idea was to persuade Decathlon to give me a replacement wheel on the strength of the poor condition of the bearings after only 50 miles or so but when I heard the price I decided to treat the bike to some better wheels, so have some on order for £95 at a LBS.

What I'm getting round to saying is that the wheels are the bike's weakest point in my opinion; they're cheap with poor quality bearings and soft rims, the rims weren't really true when we got the bike but that didn't bother me too much. Buyers of Triban 3s would do well to fit some better wheels, which should transform it into a really first class entry-level bike. You could always Ebay the original wheels.

.....oh and don't buy the bTwin bottle cage, it's rubbish.

Agree, the wheels are definitely the low point. They are heavy (may be the tyre adding a lot of weight but deffo heavy, my girlfriend has one and hers is a size 48 so the wheels are 650c). It also has an extra spoke nipple floating around in the box section (all spokes are fine, it is an extra), which I can not extract without taking out a spoke, something i haven't done before, so going to have Decathlon do it when they service it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
tharts my experience.

can be summed up as surrey quays not great at being helpful but have great cafe , Lakeside great staff no Cafe.
I'm sorry you've not been pleased by Surrey Quays - they've always been very helpful to me. And, as you say, the cafe is good. Choccy croissant and nice coffee for two quid!

If there was a 'Bike of the Year' award, my vote would go for the Triban 3 - although it still doesn't quite match the standout value of the (sadly discontinued) Decathlon Vitamin

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm sorry you've not been pleased by Surrey Quays - they've always been very helpful to me. And, as you say, the cafe is good. Choccy croissant and nice coffee for two quid!

If there was a 'Bike of the Year' award, my vote would go for the Triban 3 - although it still doesn't quite match the standout value of the (sadly discontinued) Decathlon Vitamin

that was then, a few weeks ago when i bought the riverside 7 they were great. a good bike fitting and i was in there an hour while they did the full check and adjustment , setting the saddle and bars. top service

defy-one

I have the bottle and cage - no issues with either and I've clocked up a fair few miles thus far. Worried about the tyres and wheels now!!!!!
I'll change both at the first sign of trouble.

Top Bottom