Pilot Bikes, Dutch Ti frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
How long do you need to ride for? My Varia lasts at least 12 hours on daytime flash, it may go longer, I have never checked.

I'm prepping for 'Chase The Sun' in June so could easily be 14+ hrs:wacko: My concern is if I don't manage to get to the other side by nightfall I'll need to use it as a light so the final few hours are the most important, I don't want to be worrying about battery life :laugh: The GPS will be connected to the powerbank too.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been working on a few more tweaks to the GPS mount today. I wasn't happy with the lower light mount part so started from scratch with a similar design but slightly more sleak. I've hollowed it all out and put internal reinforcement ribs too this time so it'll be much lighter than before.

It should finish printing later this evening. I've got a 60 mile ride planned for the morning so hopefully it'll be cleaned, cured and fitted in time to use straight away :smile:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've had another set of carbon rims turn up for this bike 😄 They're from LightBicycle again but this time they're 650b rather than 700c as I want to try and squeeze a wider gravel tyre in - there seems to be room but it could be tight. The spokes didn't arrive today so hopefully they'll be delivered on Saturday, otherwise they won't be getting built this weekend :laugh:

Here's a teaser...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
A quick break from DIY this morning to build a wheel - the spokes arrived first thing, or at least half of them did... There was a big hole in the parcel and all of the spokes for the rear wheel had escaped :sad: Fortunately all of the spokes for the front wheel were present and correct so I got busy with the spoke wrench...

Tyre clearance is going to be tight, I reckon I'll have 1mm either side between the rear tyre and the chainstays. I may have to find a narrower pair :whistle:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The rotors for these wheels finally arrived today so I've just finished them off. I'd built the rear wheel a few weeks ago but without the rotors of course I couldn't do much with them :laugh:

I decided 1mm of tyre clearance wasn't a sensible amount so sourced some 35mm Continental TerraSpeed's to replace the 42mm WTB Resolutes. This will likely drop the BB height slightly further but I'll find out the damage when I pop them on the bike tomorrow :laugh: Anyway, here they are all ready to go on finished off with black Hope rotors and purple Hope lock rings :okay:

20220513_222704.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
If they were road tyres I wouldn't be overly concerned about 1mm clearance but I'm worried about clogging, the mud is pretty sticky in these parts - its not called Claydon for nothing :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spotted a while back that Hope had released a new variant of the flatmount rear RX-4 caliper without the +20mm offset that had caused me issues in the original build, and required switching the rear caliper for a post mount with a homemade adapter bracket. I ordered one ages ago but have only just gotten round to fitting it. The zero offset caliper mated to the +20mm frame mount means I can now run the rear 180mm rotor with no bodgery :laugh:

20220819_173756.jpg

Of course I swapped my purple piston caps in to the new caliper before I filled it with mineral oil 😊 These new RX4+ calipers are supposed to be easier to bleed, but this one still showed some resistance :laugh:

I took the opportunity to give her a good clean too, with the cassette and chain spending 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner for good luck :laugh:

20220819_205928.jpg

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I spotted a while back that Hope had released a new variant of the flatmount rear RX-4 caliper without the +20mm offset that had caused me issues in the original build, and required switching the rear caliper for a post mount with a homemade adapter bracket. I ordered one ages ago but have only just gotten round to fitting it. The zero offset caliper mated to the +20mm frame mount means I can now run the rear 180mm rotor with no bodgery :laugh:

View attachment 658007

Of course I swapped my purple piston caps in to the new caliper before I filled it with mineral oil 😊 These new RX4+ calipers are supposed to be easier to bleed, but this one still showed some resistance :laugh:

I took the opportunity to give her a good clean too, with the cassette and chain spending 20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner for good luck :laugh:

View attachment 658006

That grass looks awful………oh and theres a bike too, which is stunning.

AndyRM

XOXO

View attachment 658007

View attachment 658006

Very, very lovely.

Harry Jacques

Hey @JhnBssll , long time ago that i visited this site…and very happy to see you did lots of work on building your Pilot even more “tailor made”. Compliments and nice to see all the purple stuff. Is it an idea you place an overview of all the things you made yourself and place it in the Pilot. FB group….ennuh, if you have the luck to be in Holland with that bike, i will come toe you to admire it😍😀.

Top Bottom