Pinch Punctures eekk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Ok so I am suffering from Pinch punctures it seems. I get puctures on th einside of the tube. There is double rim tape and no sign of anu spoke protrusions. So I have to resign myself to th efact that it is all down to my own incompetence...erm...so edookate me....what is best practice when changing a tube to avoid pinches?

This is a 700x23 Michellin pro3 tyre.

Ta.:ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I went through a period where I seemed to be getting pinch punctures every other ride... really annoying... I blamed the tyres/my accidental riding over potholes etc etc. In the end, someone suggested I just pump the tyres a wee bit harder... no punctures at all since then :tongue:

Tharg2007

Veteran
true, pump up as hard as poss, thing is though i think the race pro 3s are 116psi max, if you are a big chap (i consider myself a little large 14St then 116psi is just a little too low, 120 is better, i have my race pro 3's up to about 118 and no probs.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Yup. I went through a phase of getting loads on the front of my Furai. After about 2000 miles of trouble free riding, one day I get a pinch puncture up front.

1. Replace tube,
  2. re-inflate at roadside,
  3. ride home,
  4. fix tube and drop it in bag as spare.
Next day, same damn thing happens. After a week where I must have got 4 or more, I added the following step:

3b. trackpump the bugg3r to 140psi.

Not one issue since. Touch wood. Also, my rims are far healthier. At the point where the tube gives up, the edge of the rim is less than 1mm of highly compressed rubber away from a pointy edge of tarmac.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Keep the pressure up, which is why I carry a CO2 inflator as well as a mini pump, just remember to top up with a track pump at home...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
rogerzilla said:
I had a pinch puncture at 145psi last year. It was a BIG pothole.

I've never pinch punctured dropping into a hole, but climbing back out can be fatal. Anything over about an inch and a half with a sharp edge will do it.

Or a cattle grid.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
arallsopp said:
Or a cattle grid.
Glad you brought those up... I often get off and push over them; a friend rides full speed over them and wondered why I get off. So next time out I tried his method. Got an immediate flat. :headshake:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have not had a problem with cattle grids (so far) even with carrying panniers, I just take them at speed...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Any recommendations for reasonably priced pumps to get up to 115 psi?

My Lidl mini-pump won't make it much beyond 65 psi - and the Tesco track pump is good for 100 psi and no further. I've had a couple of pinch flats recently too.

Shanks

Hi I've just bought one of these and it's great. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4949 Never used one before but also never realised how low my tyres were using the 'pump up until I can't push the wall in with my thumb method'

I'm on the generous side of 18 stone on 700x32's :biggrin:. The tyre rating says max 110, do you think I should be puting more in that this? Comments so far on this thread would seem to say I should go to at least 120!

Cheers

Top Bottom