Pinch punctures.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Since having a new wheel fitted a fair few months ago, I don't seem to be able to see a month out without getting one of these pesky things. :blush: IN total, it's been about 15.

Cue me all set for this mornings commute and finding the tyre flat as Celine Dion's chest.

It's always in the rear wheel!!! I keep the pressure tidy and avoid potholes where possible. I don't do kerbs either, so what could be the problem? Is it always the rear wheel due to weight distribution?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I don't know why you are getting them, but i would try replacing the rim tape first and then the tyre to try to eliminate the problem.
15 is way too many, and its probably a part issue, not just pinches

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks SA.

I put new rim tape on and the conti gators I'm running are only about 5 months old. Was having the problems before this - ever since the new wheel but I can't see anything on the rim that should be causing it. :wacko:

It's that annoying that I feel like getting a new bike :blush: :laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pinch punctures are usually due to under-inflation. They manifest as two parallel slits close together. For narrow road tyres you need at least 70 - 80psi.
If it's a single hole then the cause is probably elsewhere. When you remove the tube mark where on the wheel/tyre the puncture occurs and carefully examine that area. Is it always the same place?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ian H said:
Pinch punctures are usually due to under-inflation. They manifest as two parallel slits close together. For narrow road tyres you need at least 70 - 80psi.
If it's a single hole then the cause is probably elsewhere. When you remove the tube mark where on the wheel/tyre the puncture occurs and carefully examine that area. Is it always the same place?
Exactly what I would have written, but you beat me to it.

Pinch punctures (or 'snakebites', so-called because of the characteristic parallel slits in the tube) should be a very rare thing and you should always know when you have caused one. I.e. you have just hit a pothole (or something else that you didn't manage to avoid) really hard.

The road surfaces round here are pretty bad, I'm pretty heavy (anything up to 16 stone) and I don't run my tyres at particularly high pressures (normally 80-95 psi) but it is very rare for me to get that kind of puncture; maybe once every 2 or 3 years. That is because I am careful what I ride over; if I can't go round a pothole or piece of debris, I bunnyhop over it. At the very least, I bend my elbows and lift myself out of the saddle to give the bike a chance to move underneath me if I'm about to hit something.

Whenever I do get a puncture (typically about 1 per 2,000 miles) I always perform a 'post-mortem' to find its cause, as described by Ian. Typically I'll discover a thorn or a shard of glass embedded in the tyre. If you leave those in, you'll just get repeat punctures in the future.

The other possibility is one that I suffered from early in my adult cycling career. I got snakebite punctures front and rear when I ran over a piece of 4" x 2" timber which had just fallen off a skip wagon in front of me. After that I got multiple punctures for weeks afterwards. They were driving me potty. In the end, I asked a more experienced cyclist for advice. He asked me how I was refitting the tyres after fixing the punctures. It turns out that I was damaging the tubes when I refitted them, causing weaknesses which led to further punctures.

I am now very careful when fitting tyres. I try to put them back on without using tyre levers. If I have to use levers, I am very careful not to damage the tubes with them. I am also careful not to trap the tubes between the rims and the tyres.

The extra care pays off. It is now very rare for me to get punctures, and when I do, I rarely repuncture afterwards.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks for that advice Colin.

The punctures always seem to be near the valve and facing inwards towards the rim. Last time it happened (haven't had chance today as stropped off in the car) I checked the wheel as thoroughly as possible and couldn't find anything.

Is it worth me dropping it off to a LBS and get them to have a good look? It's driving me bloody mad.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
snapper_37 said:
Thanks for that advice Colin.

The punctures always seem to be near the valve and facing inwards towards the rim. Last time it happened (haven't had chance today as stropped off in the car) I checked the wheel as thoroughly as possible and couldn't find anything.

Is it worth me dropping it off to a LBS and get them to have a good look? It's driving me bloody mad.
If it is right at the hole that the valve goes through, it could be that there is a sharp edge to the hole that needs filing off. either that or the rim tape isn't completely protecting the tube. The tape might be displaced slightly or have a split in it.

If you can't spot the problem yourself, I'm sure that a good LBS will.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Another possibility occurs to me: do you push the valve up into the tyre after re-fitting, because otherwise the tube can get pinched under the beads of the tyre at that point.

Top Bottom