*ping Bonj (and other serious cyclists and other mudguard lovers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Nice, totally ineffective and a real blast from the 80's
I had mudguards like that on the "racer" my parents bought me in the late 70s...:biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I think they are, i cant see them doing much else really, if any water does get thrown from the back wheel, its further back on the wheel.
So i think those mudguards were there to keep to water and mud off the brakes so they didnt stick.

bonj2

montage said:
You are a bit of a shitter.

You were given permission to insult the mudguards, not the downtube shifters. I don't care much about the downtube shifters - if I can afford to upgrade I may well do that, or just convert this bike into fixed altogether. You want to buy my mudguards bonj??

Actually maybe these mudguards are designed to be bumpers - and need to be lowered?

no i've already got one more pair of mudguards than i need, and i've got somebody who wants to buy them, probably purely on the basis that they've been used by me, obviously - and as such are rare as hens teeth, but they're a bit big to post and I haven't got a suitable box.

downtube shitters are fine until you need to change gear. then you need to move your arm, which is fairly heavy, from its position on the handlebars to the centre of the bike. This upsets the centre of gravity, and is a bit dangerous when you need to do it on a fast descent!
I'm afraid that bike's therefore a death trap and you'll have to convert it to a fixed immediately. If it has got horizontal dropouts you have got no excuse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
bonj said:
downtube shitters are fine until you need to change gear. then you need to move your arm, which is fairly heavy, from its position on the handlebars to the centre of the bike.

Balls.........:biggrin:

I can shift front and rear mechs simultaneously with one quick flick of one hand.....:biggrin:...I'll out run any STI/ERGO :biggrin:

I remember those guards...my old Coventry Eagle Stratos came with them in the 80's...I removed them and fitted a smaller block....looked like a 'real' TDF racer then.....(or so I thought as a 14 year old) I'll have you know.....:biggrin:

bonj said:
downtube shitters are fine until you need to change gear. then you need to move your arm, which is fairly heavy, from its position on the handlebars to the centre of the bike. This upsets the centre of gravity, and is a bit dangerous when you need to do it on a fast descent!
I'm afraid that bike's therefore a death trap and you'll have to convert it to a fixed immediately. If it has got horizontal dropouts you have got no excuse.

never had a problem myself and i'm used to mountain bikes, not drop bars and down tube shifters.

i have also learnt to change it with my knee just for the fun of it and also to put the chain back on - by hand while still riding.

not bad for someone, who according to various therapists should struggle to ride a bike due to learning difficulties :smile:

the mudguards feature a lot on bikes from the 60's to the 80's and i believe are there to protect the underside of the headset and seat stay from being blasted by muck and water and thus promoting rust.

they also will help keep the brakes clean of crud

Top Bottom