*Ping* Mental health experts please *ping*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs Mickles 21 yr old son S seems to be having some sort of psycotic episode. A few days ago he was his normal bright outgoing intelligent self, then he started acting strangely, big mood swings, not sleeping, washing or eating for days. It was clear that there was something wrong, our questions met with uncharacteristic aggression and he started behaving very erratically.
We thought initially that the pressure of uni exams and the sleep deprivation combined with a few too many joints had made him a bit manic but it soon became clear that it's more than that.
His condition changes throughout the day, he can be quite lucid occasionally but at other times he cannot comprehend simple statements like for example 'please move your car'. He imagines that 'they' are tracking his movements through his wristwatch and are watching him through his TV. He babbles incoherent gibberish.
Mrs M invited his idiot father over on Monday evening and the four of us sat around the table (at this point we though it was some kind of exam stress triggered nervous breakdown). It transpired that on the previous Friday S had consumed '20 or 30' balloons of Nitrous Oxide, laughing gas. He and his idiot father sell it at night clubs for £1.50 a pop. Idiot stood there and watched him do it without intervening.

A quick google; Apparently the rush is caused by simple lack of oxygen to the brain. I suspect brain damage.
A visit to the GP yesterday was a waste of time. The Gov. drugs advice site Ask Frank doesn't even mention NoX.

Any advice gratefully received.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As a first guess, call NHS Direct? I really hope it's not as bad as you fear.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
F*ck me Mickle, you need better advice than us, and pronto. Get him into serious medical help asap. Go to Casualty or kick ass at the doctors or go private.

surfgurl

Try your best to keep him calm and keep an eye on him, as I'm sure you're doing. Likewise keep yourselves calm.
Keep a diary of behaviours he exhibits, this could be useful when dealing with Doctors and such like.
Try and contact your local Mental Health team, there should be contact details on your local NHS website. See if you can get to talk to a Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN) for advice.
Hopefully it is just some kind of come down and there will be no lasting damage.
Hope it all goes ok.

Odyssey

I'm not expert and there's no way I can rule it out, but I would've thought brain damage would be unlikely. laughing gas, as far as I've seen, is used in no small amounts throughout hospitals in the UK and I've never heard of any problems from it (I'm assuming this is the same stuff!). I've seen people go through entire bottles of it, that stand 4 feet tall from the floor.

The more minor symptoms can be that of depression or bi-polar disorder (manic depression), even the confusion can come down to this, but the paranoia sounds more like some form of psychosis. I think generally the type of people who suffer from these things tend to have a genetic susceptibility to it and it's often triggered by excessive stress, or paranoia inducing drugs (marijuana, ecstasy, alcohol, lsd, etc). And it can be temporary.

Again, I'm no expert, I don't work in the field, I have a small interest in how people work psychologically. Maybe something in what I say gives you some clues, but my advice, like the others, without a doubt would be to go and seek another medical opinion. And if you're not happy with that, seek another...

jonesy

Guru
I suppose one concern would be that N2O taken from balloons in night clubs can't be assumed to be of medical grade...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
+ 1 with Surfgurl.

I'd imagine that York will have a Mental Health walk in center if the lad is compliant.

Try and find out exactly what, if any, other drugs he may have also been taking and in what quantities.
I had episodes like this in build up to a full blown breakdown and I've also know those who have burned out with stress at Uni. Although this sounds a little more serious.

Good luck Mickle, my sympathies and get S to someone who can have a good fettle with his thought processes.

Smeggers

Patrick Stevens said:
Good point. I suspect that there's a big difference between medical grade gases and ordinary welding grade.

Its not as big as you would think. Something like 96% for industrial and 98% for medical IIRC.

As far as I know NOX has no contra-indications, take that with a pinch of salt though please.

Top Bottom