Pinging noises from front wheel - spokes or hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
For the last week I've been getting metallic pinging noises from my front wheel, which started quietly but have got worse. I get them only at speed, above about 15mph, especially on downhills, and this has made it impossible to spot a particular point on the rotation that's causing it.

I've checked all the spokes and done some minor truing. Although not all the spokes ping at quite the same note, there is not much difference and no obviously bad one, and the wheel runs true. I can't replicate the sound when off the bike, but I haven't managed to get rid of it. I've tried greasing the spoke crossover points but to no avail there either.

Could I be barking up the wrong tree? The hub is quite old and I know it is pitted inside and running a bit roughly, and due for replacement anyway. So could the noises be caused by the hub rather than the spoke adjustment?

Or anything else I may have missed?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I get mysterious spokey pinging as well, and have never been able to figure out why. It must be a Welsh thing!

Sharky

Guru
Do you have a spare wheel or one from another bike. Sometimes worth swapping to confirm that the noise is coming from the wheel and not another part of the bike. Often you can miss hear the source.

Good luck
Keith

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Do you have a spare wheel or one from another bike. Sometimes worth swapping to confirm that the noise is coming from the wheel and not another part of the bike. Often you can miss hear the source.

Good luck
Keith
No unfortunately not. I've done everything short of that. I know it's not the speed sensor as I've taken that off and still get the noise.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No unfortunately not. I've done everything short of that. I know it's not the speed sensor as I've taken that off and still get the noise.
Trolls aside for the moment, is it a regular, once-per-revolution kind of ping, or more like a thousand twangling instruments that hum about thine ears?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Trolls aside for the moment, is it a regular, once-per-revolution kind of ping, or more like a thousand twangling instruments that hum about thine ears?
like a very disorganised orchestra pinging away in different keys to their own indecipherable rhythms. It doesn't sound like once per revolution but since it won't do it when I go slowly I can't give a nice clear answer on that.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
like a very disorganised orchestra pinging away in different keys to their own indecipherable rhythms. It doesn't sound like once per revolution but since it won't do it when I go slowly I can't give a nice clear answer on that.
Well whatever it is, it definitely sounds like the same thing I've got. HTH!

Top Bottom