Pinhead Oatmeal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
More recipe advice needed please.

I picked some of this up the other week and can't seem to make decent porridge with it or find a recipe for it.

I'm getting better results with the EasyPriceKwikSaverValueEveryday rolled oats :laugh:.

Willow

I like the jordans organic oats best right consistency of flakes and chewiness, pinhead is too small and gloopy for me.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I prefer mozzers quid-a-kilo proog to the pinhead stuff-goes in better deffo!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same 'ere Dan..... still tastes like cardboard, but it is supposed to be good for ya.....

Noodley

In the evening take:
40g oatmeal
120 ml each water and milk
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
...and some oil (not highly flavoured, something like mild olive oil)

mix it all together in a pan, bring to the boil and bubble for a few minutes.

Leave to sit overnight, then re-heat gently the next morning. And I stir in dried fruit.

Noodley

Twenty Inch said:
It's why the Scots have a chip on their shoulder.

No it's not. We have a chip on our shoulder cos we nick one off of every Englishman we meet, plenty to go round as they have one on both shoulders :laugh:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ta Noodley, I'll get a pan on tonight.

It had better be good or I'm going back to what they sweep off the floors.

Noodley

longers said:
Ta Noodley, I'll get a pan on tonight.

It had better be good or I'm going back to what they sweep off the floors.

If it's not good blame the chef! :laugh:
It'll be quite thick so you might want to add more milk. I like my porridge thick.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's my typical breakfast routine:

I put my kettle on.

While kettle is boiling, I use a 225 mL scoop to add 1 scoop of oats and 1 scoop of soya milk to a pyrex bowl.

Kettle boils.

Fill thermos mug with boiling water to pre-heat it. Put lid on mug to keep the heat in.

Add dried fruit to bowl (raisins, sultanas, pieces of dried apple, apricot etc.).

Add a teaspoon of Orange Blossom honey to bowl, and a tiny pinch of salt (the smallest amount that I can still taste).

Reboil kettle. Pour off-boil water from mug into scoop to wash out dregs of soya milk and tip that over the spoon to wash the honey into the bowl.

Discard rest of water from mug, put teabag in and fill with boiling water from kettle. Put lid on mug.

While tea is brewing, stir contents of porridge bowl and cover with a pyrex lid (to contain any minor porridge eruptions that may occur in the microwave).

Microwave on full power (1 kW) for 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Stir contents of bowl. Microwave for another 1 minute and 10 seconds. These timings were arrived at by experimentation and suit my microwave, and the quantities and method that I employ. You will have to work out your own timings. If you overheat the porridge in a microwave, you'll end up with a gloopy mess to clean up!

During the finally cooking phase, I take the teabag out of the mug and add milk. Replace lid on mug. That's one perfectly brewed mug of tea, and it will stay hot long enough for me to eat my porridge.

When the porridge is done, I chop a ripe banana into it.

I can happily last 8 hours and a 40 mile bike ride on that breakfast.

PS My porridge consistency is such that a tablespoon inserted vertically into it takes about 5 or 6 seconds to fall over i.e. thick, but not solid.

Top Bottom