Pinnacle Neon range?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bottlegreen

I'm thinking about buying a bike in the Pinnacle Neon range but a bit unsure if one will be quite right for my needs, and which: https://www.evanscycles.com/kmlp/pinnacle-neon

I'll mainly be using it to get to and from work, and also getting around the city as my job involves alot of this. I'll be covering 6 mile distances in one trip at most, and around 12miles a day on average, with the hope of covering more distances as I get fitter. It rains a lot here and my routes tend to have a lot of potholes, and I want a bike with flat bars.

I've been commuting by bike for around 3 years now and with a better bike, I'd love to start having more fun with it. I'd love to do some long distance stuff and I imagine terrain could be varied, and I'd like to go for scenic rides on canal towpaths and light tracks - definitely no aggressive or even moderate mountain bike stuff though!

The Neon range is very lightweight and quick so great for my job, but I'm concerned I won't beable to use it off tarmac much, without risking the bike. I was thinking having a second set of tyres would solve this though? I'm thinking the Neon 2 would meet my needs but am tempted by the 3, but not sure if I'd just be paying for stuff I don't need.

Advice much appreciated

Last edited:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Also consider the Lithium range, also by Pinnacle. Very similar bikes but with slightly wider tyres for the tow paths and slightly lower gearing which may suit the desire to do longer distances?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How flat is the commute? I had a Neon 1 for a bit, before it got given to a friend, which I found surprisingly good up to about 20mph. Beyond that it just ran out of gears. It did only cost me £25 though.

OP
OP
B

bottlegreen

I'd be thinking of the Lithium 3 in that range because of the better parts (not so fussed about disc brakes), but it's 11.6kg and I'd prefer lighter. https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275573

I've been offered a second hand, barely used Neon 3 at £480 and this is tempting. I guess I'm wondering whether it wishful thinking that the Neon with a change of tyres or other modifications could comfortable long distances/tours, and slightly rugged terrain? https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-neon-3-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275612

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Get the neon and a 2nd set of wheels ready set-up with wider tyres.........a quick wheel change takes 5mins max and your off

vickster

Legendary Member
If going for the Neon, I'd get the (used) 3 with carbon fork and hydraulic discs for all weather commuting. Presumably Evans can fit full mudguards and a pannier rack?

It's got 32mm tyres so I'm not sure why you think it's unsuitable for canal paths and slightly rougher surfaces. Plenty of people ride 23-25mm tyres, you may just need to slow down a bit which is usually the case on shared paths anyhow. If you find you need different, tyres a second pair of wheels + cassette an option as said

Last edited:
Top Bottom