Pipe Smokers - an increasingly rare sight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Walking the dog the other day, an elderly couple walked past me, the gentleman puffing away on his pipe.

It struck me that I had not seen a pipe smoker for what seems a very long time, and we live in the area with the most elderly demographic in England.

Any pipe smokers on here?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My Father in Law smokes a pipe still, he uses Clan tobacco which I still think has a lovely smell despite me now being tobacco free for over a decade. Back when I smoked (maybe 15 years ago now) I took up pipe smoking for a bit under his guidance. I mainly used it if I was out on a hike near his gaff in Scotland, I'd sit on a hill or a beach halfway through a walk and sit and puff on the pipe for ten minutes, it was lovely. I found that the trouble with pipes though was that after you'd smoked, you still had to carry it, and it stinks out your pocket.
At least with a cigarette you left the stinking remnants behind in a bin, no such luxury with a pipe.

But there are fewer more pleasantly evocative smells when the baccy is fresh and just lit.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I saw two recently, one driving and one walking a dog. I have a long stemmed pipe on display as it is a lovely thing to look at.

tyred

Legendary Member
I must admit that when I was a regular cigarette smoker I often used to fancy giving pipe smoking a proper try. I always loved the smell of it.

Now that I haven't smoked in about eight years I have little desire to ever use any tobacco products ever again and barely a day goes by without me thanking my lucky stars that I no longer have to start my day by coughing through my morning fag and paying a fortune for the privilege.

I actually have a posh Havana cigar in a metal tube that a friend brought back from Cuba a few years ago. Smells lovely if you open it and sniff the tobacco. Would smell disgusting if you actually lit the thing xx(

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use to smoke a pipe, Holland House was my favourite

Drago

Legendary Member
It is actually a good time for thought and contemplation. Einstein said of pipe smoking, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs."

It is surely only a matter of time before I am voted Pipe Smoker of the Year.

Top Bottom