Pipe Smokers - an increasingly rare sight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
They sure don't make em like this anymore...

928aa60d29c5e5a6cf80f142b009976f.jpg

bagpuss

Guru
There used to be a chap called Jack who took part in a lot of audax events and he was well known for using a pipe whilst riding . He rarely lingered at controls . You would soon know if he had passed through whilst you stuffed your face by the aroma lingering in the air on the next part of the route .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember a rather good caving trip from my youth where we decided to do a trip after the pub as you do. Good fun but perhaps not the very best safety guidance. The highlight was my two companions trying to keep their pipes alight whilst doing the 400 foot crawl to the exit.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Surprisingly, no.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I contemplated getting a pipe so that I could win arguments.

Nothing helps you win an argument and appear knowledgeable, more than taking a slow puff of the pipe, and then, with a knowing smile and a twinkle in the eye, stating your point while pointing the pipe mouth at your opponent. FACT.

Harold Wilson was quite famous for using his pipe as a prop, particularly as it tended to need fettling if he was asked a tricky question. And Was it Mark Twain who said that a pipe gives a wise man something to contemplate and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

Top Bottom