Pirelli Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
If I had to decided on a tyre, I'd just pick a best value in class for the type of riding I do most often, and stick with it. Personally, I had one too many offs with a pair of slick 25mm tyres, so opted for the best grip tyres I could find for my budget.

Tyres are consumables, so if you make a bad decision, it's only a few thousand miles before you get to replace them anyway, most of us are not trying to win races, just don't sweat it and enjoy the ride with what you have, providing you are confident on they won't slip out from under you on a tight corner.
I have a real penchant for descending, the faster the better. When last I don’t take massive risks, I do need to feel confident when up to speeds on 50mph at times.

I agree with what your saying though, I won’t get any for the sake of it, but don’t like to waste money either.

I am tempted to grab another set of Corsa G+’s, when the S-Works Turbo’s wear out though. Just wonder how gumwalls will look after a Winter. Lol

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Forgot to check back there, after looking back in July. Cheers for reminding me.

Tests look very similar to my old favourite the GP4000S. Not setting the world alight, in comparison, but they are very hard to beat. Real world reviews might shed further light then.
My only endorsement so far is they do not appear to cut up like GP4000's first 500 yards of most of my rides is on road chipping I have done GP sidewalls in less than 20miles twice so stopped buying them, thus far not a mark on these. But only 50 miles.. They seemed incredibly supple off the bike and went on with barely any effort. I am coming from tubeless 28mm on my winter bike to 23mm tubed on my Cannondale so they feel bloody harsh! The look nice though!

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/reviews/gear/pirelli-s-pzero-velo-tyres-after-1000kms-of-riding

Bike could do with a Chain but just finished complete overhaul

upload_2017-9-29_21-55-38.png

Just purchased a pair of p-zero 25 as the price temporarily dropped to £30 @ winstanley - not used them yet but a point in there favour they go on the rim pretty easy...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think anybody would disagree that grooves on bike tyres are only there to make you think they're better, like fancy extracts at miniscule doses in shampoo. The real difference comes from the softness of the compound plus the tyre texture - soft compliant cotton-wall tyres like Veloflex open Corsas or their Vittoria-branded equivalent have a file pattern tread, which combined with a sticky compound makes them fantastic on wet roads or even packed snow. The trade-off is fragility and short life.

NickWi

Guru
I actually have a pair of 28mm Pirelli PZero Velo 4S tyres fitted to my bike, an Orbea Gain. So what can I say?

Well the just do the job. They're a thousand percent better than the Marathon Plus I had on before, but then they are an entirely different type of tyre. They feel fine, grip well, feel comfortable and so far no punctures in the 500 or so miles I’ve done on them so far. All sounds good but I don't really have anything to give a direct comparison to. My tourer is fitted with Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tyres which are heavier duty, my road bike with some 23mm super lightweight things from Panaracer, and as for what’s on the Tandem, forget it.

I’ve just run the Pirelli P zero Velo tyres I’ve had on the bike since the Bike show in Brum last year, in to the ground ( so to speak ) They worked very well, gripped very well, and gave good P* protection, but were a bit draggy, in comparison to a GP4000sII ( a tyre they are supposed to be equivalent to ). They did cut up really badly though, without having to do anything too extreme to warrant the amount of damage. When they reached the end of their useful life ( after a far too short distance / time for my liking) they pretty much completely fell apart, which wasn’t good. In summary, unless you ride on billiard table surfaces, and don’t cover significant distances, I’d avoid them like the plague. The Durano + are still the best choice by a country mile in my opinion / experience ( and I ride up to 20000 miles a year, in all sorts of conditions ) unless you’re doing more normal yearly mileage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
When they reached the end of their useful life ( after a far too short distance / time for my liking) they pretty much completely fell apart, which wasn’t good.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Doesn't seem many have taken the Pirelli plunge.
It'd be good to hear, quantatively, what mileage you actually did get out of them.
bicyclerollingresistance.com - compare
Michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2 (I have one waiting to go on to replace a 4000SII hence choice)
Pirelli-p-zero-velo
Schwalbe-durano-plus-2017
If you thought the Pirellis were a 'bit draggy' your preferred tyre: Durano Plus must seem positively treacle like: at 80psi 8w per tyre more rolling resistance and 400g weight v 210g for the Pirelli.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Went for the P Zero tyres after my Vittorias fell apart.

Totally happy so far, 500miles on them and each mile I had a smile.

They used to do a great calendar.
:smile:

yes a versatile company.

Years ago I did PR for Pirelli's data cable division.

On telling my mum I was working with Pirelli, she said "oh, the slippers".

Slipper business went decades ago - trust they haven't resurfaced to do the tyres - soles weren't up to much.

NickWi

Guru
I actually have a pair of 28mm Pirelli PZero Velo 4S tyres fitted to my bike, an Orbea Gain. So what can I say?

Well the just do the job. They're a thousand percent better than the Marathon Plus I had on before, but then they are an entirely different type
of tyre. They feel fine, grip well, feel comfortable and so far no punctures in the 500 or so miles I’ve done on them so far. All sounds good but I don't really have anything to give a direct comparison to. My tourer is fitted with Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tyres which are heavier duty, my road bike with some 23mm super lightweight things from Panaracer, and as for what’s on the Tandem, forget it.

UPDATE:- I did a very wet Sportive last weekend and after I got back, whilst washing down the bike I gave the tyres a quick once over and pulled out two thorns! Admittedly they weren't big thorns, but thorns they were, and punctured I hadn't been.

Now I know my Pirelli's are the heavier 4S version, but definately a thumbs up for thier puncture-resistant belt and the grip in the wet.

Top Bottom