Planet detected in another galaxy - wow !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To say I'm impressed doesn't begin to do justice to this feat of measurement. Finding the first exoplanet (ie orbiting a star other than the sun) was quite a big deal and wasn't that long ago. They have now spotted on in the whirpool
galaxy M51 some 31 million light years away. The whole galaxy combine isn't normally considered a naked eye object, yet they've detected a bloomin' planet

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/first-exoplanet-discovery-outside-milky-way-galaxy-astronomy

Dolorous Edd

Great. But I think many of us have known of exoplanets for a long time. Otherwise, where would the fckn lizards have come from?

This suspected planet is 28 million light-years from Earth.
The search method is to look for xray emitting stars then look for regular variations in x ray intensity caused by orbiting bodies that obstruct tge xrays.
The x rays are 28million years old. If we want to signal back it will take another 28million years.

Anyone living on a planet bathed in this much xrays would have a clearly visible skeleton. Because they are dead.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The time scales and distances are so vast that it makes the chances of finding other life very small.
Our planet has been emitting man made radio waves for just over 100 years, that’s a tiny window when you are working with such vast areas of time and space.
Does anyone seriously believe humans will be alive in 28million years?

Lookrider

How do they actually work out it is still there??
If its that many light years away then it could have blew up millions pf years ago but we are still seeing the light travel here ?
On a smaller scale light from our sun takes approx 10minutes to reach us
Therefore when we see the sun set
It actually disappeared 10 minutes earlier...( I think)

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
How do they actually work out it is still there??
If its that many light years away then it could have blew up millions pf years ago but we are still seeing the light travel here ?
On a smaller scale light from our sun takes approx 10minutes to reach us
Therefore when we see the sun set
It actually disappeared 10 minutes earlier...( I think)
8 minutes. ;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The time scales and distances are so vast that it makes the chances of finding other life very small.
Our planet has been emitting man made radio waves for just over 100 years, that’s a tiny window when you are working with such vast areas of time and space.
Does anyone seriously believe humans will be alive in 28million years?
well we've got around 5billion years before the sun burns out so.... :whistle:

Top Bottom