Planet X Buy and build your own bike day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ey Up and Now then.

Sorry for this being my first post , I thought I would comment on a few things .

The general idea of the PIBIRI promo is to have a bit of fun for both customers and our staff . There is a good bit of mis-information about us floating round the web and it occurred to me that a lot of customers have never actually been to see us . Hopefully these days will be fun for customers and staff , customers receive 10% discount off their bike plus there is no charge for the day and no charge for the food that we are buying from the finest food places in Rotherham and supporting our friends in the area , most notably the amazing Xiia in her Thai portocabin . A delivery charge is being added when customers order but that is a system issue and will be refunded on the day of build so there is no charge ..

To comment on grammar , I guess guilty as charged , I personally wrote that post pretty late in the evening . I have a dog , two kids , 60 staff , sales , purchasing , health safety and I normally write stuff very quickly then Brant corrects all my punctuation and grammar at which I am not the greatest for sure . If it causes offence to the grammatically gifted then I can only apologise for both my , my staff and our offence .

I believe we are now doing some great stuff at Planet X , yes for sure we are rough round the edges and our marketing is pretty much still run by myself and Brant , we have four guys in content / purchasing all doing their best

I know our bigger online competitors are super slick and smooth and corporate but that is not us for sure .

Anyway , please take the PIBIRI idea in good spirit it is intended .

Thanks for that , my email id dave@planet-x-bikes.com if anyone wants to email me directly

This is the closest I have got to buying a new bike since 2009 (when I did). Good food, a chance to learn how to build a bike from professionals, and a chance for my son to play with his friend who moved up to Rotherham a few months ago. Still can't think of a good excuse not to.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I think the good folk of Pateley Bridge might put up a fight to defend the pork pies (Growlers as I think they're called?) from the butchers in the town!

Rob
Would get ostracised from my family in general, and brother-in-law in particular if I didn't stand up for a Dickinson and Morris one from Melton Mowbray.

robgul

Legendary Member
Would get ostracised from my family in general, and brother-in-law in particular if I didn't stand up for a Dickinson and Morris one from Melton Mowbray.

I think that they would classed as "mass produced in a factory" by the artisan pie-makers of Yorkshire (and there's a pretty good one I can think of in Gloucestershire.

Rob

robgul

Legendary Member
Update on the communication with PlanetX - as promised, I got a fully detailed quote today for the spec that I want (it's a derivative of one of the build-it offer machines). I daren't say what I have done in case my wife finds out . . . :angel:

Rob

robgul

Legendary Member
PlanetX's daily email today has the bike below - I'm the bloke . . . does that make me famous? Watch this space for more details on an XL framed machine in RED.

SHOCK SELLER OF LAST WEEK
The special edition Pro Carbon Evo with Spyre brakes was a model that was suggested by a bloke on Cyclechat forum. We didn't expect it to sell that well, but for whatever reason, it's flying out!
e8033c2b-9fc9-4d27-897e-df3c4cc0fc83.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
Well - I ordered a bike and went to PlanetX at Rotherham on Wednesday 14 August to build my bike (the one specced in the immediately preceding post - Pro Carbon EVO with Ultegra groupset and mechanical - my choice - disc brakes).

I was surprised at the size of the premises, huge, and the volume of stock in the warehouse with people scurrying around picking for the orders.

The bike build customers totalled 7, with a mix of carbon and titanium machines ordered. After a briefing and bacon roll we moved over to the row of workstands where the frames and all the components for the bikes were laid out for each person (the original idea of going around the warehouse and picking the items was found to be too time consuming so everything was pre-picked . . . this made sense as the experience wouldn't have been a lot different from going round a supermarket)

PlanetX's man Spencer got everyone started on their builds - there were varying skill levels amongst the group but most were comfortable with the basics and Spencer, with a colleague for part of the day, stepped in with guidance and instruction as required. Mid-morning break and carried on building until a lunch break (some Thai food was brought in - not for me, I skipped lunch!) - and then we continued the building.

The varying abilities meant that we were all at different statges as the day progressed - not blowing my own trumpet, I was first to finish (I do manage an LBS and build/repair bikes so had a head start!). The final stage was for Spencer to check each bike with a PDI form and sign them off - with a certificate for each owner.

Verdict : a great idea from PlanetX - and the personal satisfaction of having built up my own bike, with the 10% discount as a bonus. Spencer's management of the day couldn't be faulted. All in all an excellent experience, highly recommended.

Rob

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well - I ordered a bike and went to PlanetX at Rotherham on Wednesday 14 August to build my bike (the one specced in the immediately preceding post - Pro Carbon EVO with Ultegra groupset and mechanical - my choice - disc brakes).

I was surprised at the size of the premises, huge, and the volume of stock in the warehouse with people scurrying around picking for the orders.

The bike build customers totalled 7, with a mix of carbon and titanium machines ordered. After a briefing and bacon roll we moved over to the row of workstands where the frames and all the components for the bikes were laid out for each person (the original idea of going around the warehouse and picking the items was found to be too time consuming so everything was pre-picked . . . this made sense as the experience wouldn't have been a lot different from going round a supermarket)

PlanetX's man Spencer got everyone started on their builds - there were varying skill levels amongst the group but most were comfortable with the basics and Spencer, with a colleague for part of the day, stepped in with guidance and instruction as required. Mid-morning break and carried on building until a lunch break (some Thai food was brought in - not for me, I skipped lunch!) - and then we continued the building.

The varying abilities meant that we were all at different statges as the day progressed - not blowing my own trumpet, I was first to finish (I do manage an LBS and build/repair bikes so had a head start!). The final stage was for Spencer to check each bike with a PDI form and sign them off - with a certificate for each owner.

Verdict : a great idea from PlanetX - and the personal satisfaction of having built up my own bike, with the 10% discount as a bonus. Spencer's management of the day couldn't be faulted. All in all an excellent experience, highly recommended.

Rob
Brilliant!

When PlanetX begin to write books instead of assemble bicycles, then it will be time
to judge their grammar, that’s just my view though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom