Planet X Kaffenback query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 11000 miles my Dawes Horizon is now a bit worse for wear, so I've been looking at buying a Kaffenback frame & fork and then transfering what I can from the Horizon to the Kaffenback, hopefully resulting in a fairly cheap upgrade:smile:

I have a couple of queries first though to any Kaffenback owners out there. I've searched and searched but for the life of me couldn't find what the rear OLN is. My Horizon is 135mm.

Secondly I've read mixed reports on the ease of fitting 32c tyres with mudguards on the rear. Anyone else have any difficulties?

Thanks

just jim

Well, my Kaffenback is fitted with a Tiagra rear hub which is 130 OLN, and is a perfect fit.
I have 700x23c tyres so I can't say how the guards would fit in 32c.

Everything else should swap over alright though.

The bike itself is comfy if a little on the heavy side and soaks up the road well, except when encountering potholes. Maybe it's just me, or just potholes, but it doesn't exactly leap out of them with enthusiasm, fired up for more. I have the standard forks fitted mind.

You could try emailing Planet X for advice about mudguard clearance. I think they would be fine up to 28c.

If your after a replacement frameset then maybe one of these might suit if you want it for loaded touring. Twice the price of the kaff though....

OP
OP
elduderino

elduderino

Thanks for that. The Kaff wouldn't be used for touring, it would mainly be used for commuting and weekend rides, town runs etc.

My Horizon has been relegated from tourer, the threads on the eyelets have all been stripped, fork is a bit mis-aligned, aluminium frame is a little harsh to ride unloaded. So all that considered I thought I'd treat myself, I've had more than my moneys worth over the last 2 and half years from it.

I think you're right though, I'll either email them or give them a ring tomorrow.

jpembroke

The newer Kaff frames take bigger tyres than my original blue dragon model but I still think you'll be pushing it with 32c tyres and 'guards. Rear OLN is 130mm.

Great value frame though, tough as old boots.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Have you thought about a Surly? Long Haul Trucker & Cross Check could both fit the bill...

OLN is 135 (on the LHT) Cross check is 132.5 (fits 130 or 135 oln). Will take tyres up to 45mm with 'guards (I'm running 42c on my LHT now).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
threebikesmcginty said:
Blimey JtM, you could take that over a ploughed field!!

:tongue:

It does the rougher bits of the Cheshire Cycleway with no complaint, which is what I wanted from it, really. Tyres are Conti City Contact - don't seem to have made much difference to speed (vs the 32c Vredestein Perfect I started with) & makes for a nicer, plush ride.

GrahamG

Guru
LHT is a bit much of a tank for general use - I've been using mine for about a month now (it's intended for touring duties), and definitely wouldn't want to use it as a run around or for leisure rides unless it was a low pace pootle. Definitely consider the cross check but if you're looking for nice steel frame goodness off the peg then it's definitely worth looking at Salsa bikes; lovely looking, practical and less 'agricultural' than the likes of the Kaff (I used to have pompino which was pretty much identical) so much more fun for faster rides.

Top Bottom