Planet X Kaffenback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XiShT

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Kaffenback frame secondhand off someone soon, it's the version with cantilever/V-brake mounts. The primary reason is to get a relatively cheap frame which to replace the frame of my Giant Defy 5 which has terrible mudguard clearance (despite having eyelets) and when I've put the 'guards on the bike has terrible muck clearance. The Defy 5 is currently my do-it-all bike for getting to lectures/doing the groceries and is the bike I use for weekend rides - with the pannier rack still on!

I've noticed that the Kaffenback is steel, while the Defy 5 is made of alloy - looking for advice on what to expect in terms of the differences, and looking for anyone who can vouch for the Kaffenback in terms of mudguard clearance/ride quality? Also, am slightly apprehensive about this as it's a huge project to move all the parts from my Defy over (unless I source separate parts), so I'd like to be a bit more certain before taking the plunge.

Thanks!

Drago

Legendary Member
Specs are suggestive of a decent ride. Custom drawn double butted CroMo bodes potentially well. Clearance for 32mm tyres and Mudguards, which also bodes well.

No guarantees until you try it, but on paper at least the project looks feasible.

You do know the Kaffenback 2 frame is currently half price, only £129.99? At that price it's hardly worth buying used, unless it's obscenely cheap.

The disc version Kaffenback 2 does not have the changeable drop outs and can run 28's with guards or 32 without. You might get 30's in at a push.

The older kaffenback was slightly more flexible in terms of brakes and mounts. It could do disc, v brakes and cantis and multi or single speed.

OP
OP
X

XiShT

The model I'm looking at has disc mounts at the rear only, and is the "Swap Out" version of the frame (it's dark brown, which I can't find listed on PX atm), which leads me to think the frame is reasonably old.

OP
OP
X

XiShT

You do know the Kaffenback 2 frame is currently half price, only £129.99? At that price it's hardly worth buying used, unless it's obscenely cheap.

Fair point, I've just taken a look at the PX site! I can (hopefully) get it at a lower price, if not, a new frame looks good as well.

Same concern still apply though regardless of the condition of the frame - really appreciate the replies so far but still would like to hear a few more opinions :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't know the Kaffenback but my steel Genesis is more comfortable on rough roads than my Giant Avail was (on the self same tyres and pressures)

You won't know yourself though until you ride it

Yes in that case it will be a relatively old frame, 5+ years old roughly.

I ride the newer frame and it is perfect for commuting on but the rack and guards do share the same mounts and I have to use a long screw to clear the calliper.

There are some pictures of it in the for sale section.

It rides well with 28's. I tried it with 25's on but it was too harsh with a fair bit of buzz coming from the road. I prefer the Gensesis Croix De Fer over the Kaffenback as the ride feels smoother.

It also does show a fair bit of seatpost as the top tube slopes which is not to everyone's taste.

Top Bottom