Planet X - London road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

My build comes to quite a bit more than that with the hydro 105 groupset, although I have included every component I can think of...

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Here is my list :

London road frame £299
Wheelset from Planet X £199

The rest from ribble:
Handlebar £15
Saddle £20
Seat post £20
105 10sp groupset £299 / tiagra 10sp £219
Disk brakes / rotors bb7 £70 (eBay)
Stem £20
Pedals £25
Cables £20

I don't need tyres, tubes or handlebar tape, have plenty of those in the shed.

Grand total
105 £987
Tiagra £927

Seems I missed a couple of items off my high level price a couple of posts ago. I am sure I am still missing a few bits, eg stem spacers etc, so I would allow an extra £50.

crazyjoe101

This is a dumb question, but sort of relevent here now that we're listing parts:
Do the framesets come with headsets or do you buy one and then fit the forks yourself?

crazyjoe101

I was asking myself the same question last night! I suspect buy & fit but obviously included & ready-fitted would be better.
I'll ask them about it when I go and test ride a pre-built London Road in Sheffield on Sunday, hopefully I can get a decent idea of the frame size etc. when I do.

crazyjoe101

I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

I'd want the biggest size.

How about the new Aksium One Disc wheels? £50 less than the Planet X wheels and about 300 g lighter.
They look like they are normal rims with the braking surface painted over, rather than true disc rims, I don't know what difference that makes though.
I like the look of the Kinesis Crosslight wheelset although it is in a different price bracket, I'm considering handbuilts depending on the range of parts etc. as that will decide it it's worth it.

Here is my list :

London road frame £299
Wheelset from Planet X £199

The rest from ribble:
Handlebar £15
Saddle £20
Seat post £20
105 10sp groupset £299 / tiagra 10sp £219
Disk brakes / rotors bb7 £70 (eBay)
Stem £20
Pedals £25
Cables £20

I don't need tyres, tubes or handlebar tape, have plenty of those in the shed.

Grand total
105 £987
Tiagra £927

Seems I missed a couple of items off my high level price a couple of posts ago. I am sure I am still missing a few bits, eg stem spacers etc, so I would allow an extra £50.

If you are sourcing Avid disc brakes from e-bay make sure you get the road version as apparently the standard calipers don't work well with road levers due to different pull ratios.

I built up a Planet X XLS from a reduced frameset and managed to build it up for £1100 with a105/TRP Spyre groupset combo and a Novatec/Archetype wheel-build,it would have come in cheaper with the standard Spyres but they were like rocking-horse poo at the time.

Building your own bike up is really satisfying(and at times annoying) but it's not usually the most cost effective solution especially now with 2014 bikes being on sale now.

crazyjoe101

Building your own bike up is really satisfying(and at times annoying) but it's not usually the most cost effective solution especially now with 2014 bikes being on sale now.
I'm happy paying a bit more for the exact spec and setup that I want. Besides, as you say it is nice as a challenge and a learning experience.

I'm happy paying a bit more for the exact spec and setup that I want. Besides, as you say it is nice as a challenge and a learning experience.

Of course the over thing I forgot to mention was to factor in the cost of tools for fitting bb's etc although thus could be done at your LBS.

crazyjoe101

Of course the over thing I forgot to mention was to factor in the cost of tools for fitting bb's etc although thus could be done at your LBS.
I'm voluntering part time at my LBS in return for training so I get free access to the workshop when there is a free workstand, so I'm lucky there :biggrin:
But yeah without access to a workshop, tools are a significant investment but they definitely pay for themselves eventually.

Alun

Guru
Hmm, had an email from Planet X with the 'planet x XLS, full carbon cx bike available for £999. I think this has come down in price. This is on par with the London road.
Just to note: The London Road is 11 speed, whereas the XLS is 10 speed. I wouldn't mind either of them!

Top Bottom