Planet X - London road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got the email too. It looks very nice but ... no eyelets for mudguards or rack. I'm also slightly nervous about carbon fibre frames offroad. I know it is irrational because I don't worry about carbon fibre forks so much, but having big chunks of rock clattering off the down tube would be a worry ...

Hearing what happened to @bromptonfb when his CF MTB frame snapped didn't exactly reassure me ... :eek:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I got the email too. It looks very nice but ... no eyelets for mudguards or rack. I'm also slightly nervous about carbon fibre frames offroad. I know it is irrational because I don't worry about carbon fibre forks so much, but having big chunks of rock clattering off the down tube would be a worry ...

Hearing what happened to @bromptonfb when his CF MTB frame snapped didn't exactly reassure me ... :eek:
Tbh Colin, I think they've moved on in terms of building bikes from CF. I've now gotten CF forks and feel confident enough. The horror stories on t'internet are more difficult to find, extrapolation from that tells me that CF build faults are rare.

If you get one that's painted as well, my thinking is that if de lamination is going on inside then the paint should crack in theory.

ColinJ

The XLS does look tempting, but the whole idea for me was to have a do-it-all bike which could have a rack and mudguards fitted and do things that my other 2 bikes were not really ideally suited to.

It looks like the 'Zesty Lime' London Roads are a lot more popular than the silvers - they are selling out fast! I don't like the silver. An XL in Zesty Lime would not be available until Feb 2015, but there again - neither would the money to buy it so that wouldn't be a problem!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The XLS does look tempting, but the whole idea for me was to have a do-it-all bike which could have a rack and mudguards fitted and do things that my other 2 bikes were not really ideally suited to.

It looks like the 'Zesty Lime' London Roads are a lot more popular than the silvers - they are selling out fast! I don't like the silver. An XL in Zesty Lime would not be available until Feb 2015, but there again - neither would the money to buy it so that wouldn't be a problem!
Why do you need racks n panniers n other junk? You gunna give @potsy a run for his money on heaviest bike competition?

Surely due to the nature of where you live / gunna live you'll need as lighter bike as possible? Especially now you've lost loads. Tbh I think you'll be disappointed with a utility bike....as you've nowhere to utilitate to.

ColinJ

Why do you need racks n panniers n other junk? You gunna give @potsy a run for his money on heaviest bike competition?

Surely due to the nature of where you live / gunna live you'll need as lighter bike as possible? Especially now you've lost loads. Tbh I think you'll be disappointed with a utility bike....as you've nowhere to utilitate to.
I'm not thinking commutes, I am thinking of future light touring with potentially some off-roady stuff and in varying weather conditions.

I could always take the mudguards and rack off when they are not needed, but it would be harder to put them on if there were not the fixtures for them.

My MTB weighs close to 30 lbs so I would beat that by a long way. Anyway ... I have a few months to weigh up my options.

potsy

Rambler

I'll have to weigh my 'new improved' CX again soon, probably not much lighter than Colin's junker mtb :whistle:

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Where did that post go? I blinked and it disappeared! Maybe pclay is worried about us buying up the stock before he can get his order in ...:laugh:

Sorry, I deleted my post by accident when I was meant to edit it.

Anyway I was linking to the plant x XLS which is now £999 which I think is a reduction in price? It's down side is lower gearing and nor rack or guard mounts.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXXL...272574021&mc_cid=26b3f6dfc4&mc_eid=5aaf98dc87

I have also been looking at the 2015 Pinnacle arkose three which is similar to the Planet X London road and a similar colour too.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec071307

I am not sure that a self build is the way to go, as it seems that buying pre-built is cheaper.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran

crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101, did you go and have a look at the weekend, and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks
I attempted to. I got the train up to Sheffield, cycled the 6 miles out to the shop just to find it closed. Apparently, contrary to what the Planet X website may say, the shop doesn't open on a Sunday. I am not at all pleased.
I am looking for somewhere I can go and look at a Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 frame, or even sit on a built up frame, it's looking like the better option at the moment.

crazyjoe101

Did you not call to check?

Kinesis dealers to ring around

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/dealers/ (you can zoom in) - there's a dealer in Derby, looks closest to Leicester (they have a contact page, no website yet http://www.lovevelo.biz/)
I would have called but the phone lines are closed on Sundays, that should have been the big hint but I guess I had faith that a website which only has to deal with three shops would be accurate...
Thanks for the link vickster, I've seen a shop in London (where I live when not at uni) who have the crosslight listed, so I will ring and see if they have one in stock. I'll also check some of those more local shops.

KneesUp

Guru
I attempted to. I got the train up to Sheffield, cycled the 6 miles out to the shop just to find it closed. Apparently, contrary to what the Planet X website may say, the shop doesn't open on a Sunday. I am not at all pleased.
I am looking for somewhere I can go and look at a Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 frame, or even sit on a built up frame, it's looking like the better option at the moment.
On a related note, don't assume as I did that when the website says "In Stock" that it means that you can buy it from their head office store that appears to be a shop unit grafted on to an industrial unit - most of the stock is elsewhere, apparently. Of the half dozen items I went for they had precisely none :smile:

I pass this on as the assistant intimated that I wasn't the first person to make the same mistake.

Lovely showroom full of bikes though. Just very little in the way of components or tyres.

Top Bottom