Planet X - London road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
I have twinges of N+1, and I am considering at fatter tyre road / CX bike to replace my ageing Raleigh Pioneer hybrid that I commute on.

Has anyone purchased the Planet X London Road, and if so are there any pics, reviews or comments?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm looking at that bike too.

I would have liked 44 or 46 plus 34 chainrings though, and smaller tyres as standard to leave room for mudguards. Yes, the rings and tyres can be changed, but it seems a bit daft to buy a new bike and immediately scrap unused parts.

I wondered whether Planet X would be prepared to do extra customisation as well as what is available when you order online?

crazyjoe101

I too am looking at this bike, or at least the frame. I'm considering building one up with handbuild wheels, a 105 11spd hydraulic groupset and possibly some reasonably priced carbon parts.
I want an all-year, all-purpose (sans MTB) bike.

ColinJ

I too am looking at this bike, or at least the frame. I'm considering building one up with handbuild wheels, a 105 11spd hydraulic groupset and possibly some reasonably priced carbon parts.

I want an all-year, all-purpose (sans MTB) bike.
Apparently, Planet X will only do the customisations listed on the website. In that case, I will try and work out how much it would cost to go the DIY route myself.

crazyjoe101

Apparently, Planet X will only do the customisations listed on the website. In that case, I will try and work out how much it would cost to go the DIY route myself.
They sell the frameset for £299.99, if I decided to go ahead then I'd build it up myself, DIY, buying the parts seperately.
I think the only thing I wouldn't want to do myself would be the wheel build.
It would be quite a bit more expensive with a proper 105 hydro system (which seem thin on the ground?) but on the other hand it ought to be a cracking bike with some decent wheels on it.

crazyjoe101

Good question!

Meanwhile ... further research shows that there are also an awful lot of other interesting CX bikes on the market for about £1,000.

PS Here's a LINK to the London Road page on the Planet X website.
Cheers, I have seen the Planet X page, I was just wondering if anyone owns one or has ridden one; I'm going to see if the Sheffield shop will let me test ride a 54.
I'm not looking for a CX bike, just a really sturdy road frameset with disc, guard and pannier mounts; I'm looking to build myself a 'super commuter' as an all-season bike.

ColinJ

Cheers, I have seen the Planet X page, I was just wondering if anyone owns one or has ridden one; I'm going to see if the Sheffield shop will let me test ride a 54.
I'm not looking for a CX bike, just a really sturdy road frameset with disc, guard and pannier mounts; I'm looking to build myself a 'super commuter' as an all-season bike.
The link was for anybody coming to this thread to save them searching.

I started off looking for a similar bike to you but then realised that I would be able to do a lot of my local bridleways, cycle paths and tow paths on a CX bike, rather than using my hefty MTB. I will keep the MTB for really gnarly stuff, but for less severe, more gravelly offroad a lighter CX bike would be much better.

I would fit mudguards and a rack and use it on the road in the winter and in bad weather all year round, and keep my Cannondale road bike for fair-weather riding.

crazyjoe101

The link was for anybody coming to this thread to save them searching.

I started off looking for a similar bike to you but then realised that I would be able to do a lot of my local bridleways, cycle paths and tow paths on a CX bike, rather than using my hefty MTB. I will keep the MTB for really gnarly stuff, but for less severe, more gravelly offroad a lighter CX bike would be much better.

I would fit mudguards and a rack and use it on the road in the winter and in bad weather all year round, and keep my Cannondale road bike for fair-weather riding.
I too have an MTB and a road bike (although not a particularly top end road bike), the London Road caught my eye as it's a reasonably priced frameset and comes to 8.5kg-9.0kg (theoretically) when fully built up, this should therefore be lighter than my 9.3kg roadie I have now, which for me is already light enough. The idea would be to make the build 'nice enough' to exceed my current roadie as well as being a winter bike. If I want a pure roadie summer bike I'll get one in a few years.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I have been thinking about a self build of this bike. That way I can do it over a couple of months and not have to spend all the money in one go. (And I have a spare set of 10sp tiara shifters in a drawer).

However I managed to get 28mm tyres on my cannondale synapse (non disc) last night, and I think I could go upto 30mm cx tyres.

I think the London road has been out for a while now, and I am surprised that there are now reviews anywhere.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I have now managed to get 32c slicks on my cannondale synapse. I feel a pair of 30c cross tyres are about to be purchased.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Just doing some quick calcs, and I reckon I can self build for the following prices (parts from ribble)

105 groupset £947
Tiagra groupset £867
Groupset built up separately (using my already owned shifters) £831

Waiting my new 20month interest free credit card (purchases) to come through and then I need to have a think.

Sods_Laur

I'm pretty sure a 105 groupset should be a lot less than 947 quid. Are you sure about that?

CRC are selling 11spd 5800 for less than £300.

Top Bottom