Planet X or Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spud said:
Which one ? Any chance of a quick review?
There's probably going to be lots of people who may be deciding on which one of these two bikes to buy.

OK if I was going to choose a bike, I would (and am) tempted by the Planet X Ti with Ultegra groupset. Full stop.

If you want carbon, then the Boardman will be hard to beat, from what I have read and heard, Both of these bikes have featured on rides this year.
My choice is based on the fact that I have an aluminium bike, a carbon one - and a steel one.(All Campagnolo - if that features in your decision making)
I'm still slow and fat but I have this inkling for glamour and indestructability that Planet X titanium will bring.
Or is that 'bling'?
:tongue:

Good luck Spud - you will not have had your chips whichever bike you choose - get amongst friends, that's the most important thing, and enjoy your riding.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
+1 with the above.

I have had no problems with the Boardman (or even the place I bought it). Build quality is excellent, components are very good for the money (full SRAM Rival 20speed on the Team Carbon). It's been getting rave reviews everywhere this year and for £1k has got to be very hard to beat with an off the shelf bike.

If you want to customise your components then the PlanetX or a Ribble for the same money would be the way to go.

At the end of the day, the important thing is that you get what YOU want & like and then USE the thing instead of leaving it in the shed gathering dust.

Just my 2p.

Daniel.

OP
OP
S

Spud

This is all pretty good advice and much appreciated. I checked out the Boardman again today at the local Halfords and I am 99% sure I will get one in January.
Just a shame the bike technician looked a bit inbred.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Spud said:
This is all pretty good advice and much appreciated. I checked out the Boardman again today at the local Halfords and I am 99% sure I will get one in January.
Just a shame the bike technician looked a bit inbred.

I love my Boardman Team, I hope you'll like yours. Although I love mine more as I got it from eBay for £400 inc Mavic wheels.

haf63

I am also looking to buy my first roadbike in the new year via the cycle2work scheme so have a budget of £1000. I have narrowed it to 4 where i can get a carbon frame etc so happy for any comments
1. boardman : my feeling is that this is more a racing bike than a 100mile leisure ride type bike so maybe not for me?
2. Ribble
3. Focus cayo
4. Planet x

It seems very difficult to seperate out the Ribble/Focus/Planet-x as they all seem around £1000 for the carbon version and all have good reviews etc. Although they do seem to differ in build costs, admin costs for C2W etc so I may doa complete price and see which gets me close to the £1000 mark.
I will get around to test rides but they don't seem easy to arrange.
On one of the other forums David Hinde was mentioned but there seems to be a lot of negative comments about the service plus i'm not sure they take the C2W voucher.
I am more interested in comfortable long rides than any racing so happy to make sacrifices where needed. i am currently a trek hybrid 7.5x owner

BigSteev

I'd go for the 1 with Campag

haf63

yenrod/bigsteve, i can't say that your info helps me much as i don't know the first thing about SRMA, shimano or campag. Since your posts i have done a little research and concluded that shimano ultegra is better than shimano 105 which is better than shiman Tiagro. The ribble sportive comes with Tiagra level whereas the planet x comes with full Ultegra and the focus cayo comes with 105. The planet x are doing free build and shipping so that helps. I'll be going with standard specs to be honest as, at my level, i doubt i'll notice the difference and really don't want to go above £1000

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
you'll find that Campagnola is for those a little unsure about their 'persuasion', as evidenced by support for the kit from Big Steev and Teef:evil:

OP
OP
S

Spud

I think any of the bikes mentioned by haf63 could quite easily be ridden for 100 miles with out too much discomfort. Most riders on sportives are riding a " racing " bike.You wouldn't want to tour on them but the 60 mile blast on a Saturday shouldn't be a problem.

Bongo Bill

The Boardman bikes certainly look good but there is something about the fact that Halford's sells them that put me off of them. I do not trust them buggers at Halfords at all.

OP
OP
S

Spud

I have been to a couple of Halfords in South London to talk to the people who set the bikes up and both have been reasonable lads and happen to be cyclists themselves so my confidence in the company is growing.As I understand it the Boardmans come to the shop virtually set up and when sold just need a bit of tweeking but at least there is a shop to take it back to even if you go to a different branch.
Halfords do get a bad press because a) 80% of their staff are useless and :cheers: they sell more bikes than anybody else, which is par for the course.

Top Bottom