Planet X or Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

OK, my post was a little flippant as groupsets from any of those will do a perfectly adequate job and, as with so many things, it's all a matter of personal preference. I dislike the shape of Shimano brake levers and the single paddle thing for shifting and I find that the clunking sound SRAM seems to make when changing annoying. Others doubtless dislike the noisy clicking of a Campag freewheel or something. Anyway, as you said, you're going to be limited to what comes on the bike of choice so it's not really a factor if they all come with Shimano, and you've now sorted out that particular heirarchy.
Unlike BongoBill, I wouldn't be put off by the Halfords factor, as I'd always check over any bike before riding no matter where it was bought from. The Boardman bikes have received very favourable reviews from both magazine tests and other users on here and the white ones look amazing (at least for the first couple of days :cheers: )
The Planet X offers a lot of bike for your money too, and I've only good things to report from my dealings with them.
As for Ribble, I've not used them, partly because I've heard several tales of delays and poor service with ordered bikes and partly because I dislike they way they advertise their bikes, for example showing a picture of their sportive bike with a tag of from £899 while the pictured version comes to around £2500. At least car makers have to show this in small print when they use their GTi to try and sell their base models.

haf63

I've been reading up on 'sportive' bikes versus regular road 'race' bikes and they seem to match my needs. i.e my main priority is comfort and doing reasonable distances (50-100miles) rather than any real racing - I'm mostly a loner and prefer to do my own thing - which isn't about going fast. My current trek 7.5x hybrid is really comfortable and some of the road bike pictures with seats 10 inches higher than the handle bars worry me from a 'comfort' perspective. My hybrid seats is below my handlebars so i get a nice comfortable position that i can do many hours in and really don't fancy being bent over to any great extent. I also read that wider tyres 25mm+ are more comfortable than the skinnies around 20mm so maybe i need a bike that can handle wider tyres. choices, choices!!!!

haf63

yet another dilemma.
I was talking to a bike enthusiast (sort of) and he suggested that the new Trek Pilot 2.1 is the best £1000 bike for my needs on the basis that I'd rather be comfortable than fast. Its aluminium and not carbon but has shimano 105 set etc. No real reviews yet as it is due to ship end jan 2010 but I may include it in my investigations...

haf63 said:
my main priority is comfort and doing reasonable distances (50-100miles) rather than any real racing - I'm mostly a loner and prefer to do my own thing - which isn't about going fast.

Each to his/her own but a decent road bike/wheels combo will be more "comfortable" in that it will get you up hills and make travelling long distances a lot easier. If you get a serious headwind having a seat position lower than the handlebars is a nightmare.

Personally I just plod but decent equipment makes it a great deal easier.

OP
OP
S

Spud

accountantpete said:
Each to his/her own but a decent road bike/wheels combo will be more "comfortable" in that it will get you up hills and make travelling long distances a lot easier. If you get a serious headwind having a seat position lower than the handlebars is a nightmare.

I totally agree with this . If you are too upright getting up those hills can be a real drag. If you are bent over slightly and have a lighter bike it will take less out of you physically. I pass this on from experience on both types of bike.

haf63

Good point about hills spud/pete, I do a regular 50miles around warwick on my trek hybrid and the hills do usually take it out of me - my hill strategy is typically to get into a low gear at the start and the get out of the saddle for the last bit.
As an aside, i've also realised i carry way too much stuff for a 50mile ride - pannier + storage + bike-lock + tools + spare parts + assortment food + various clothes and I plan to cut right down with the new bike. Plus my current trek has 32mm puncture proof tyres which i'm sure aren't helping me.
Still its a learning curve and I am slowly getting there..

OP
OP
S

Spud

I used to carry exactly the same stuff , panniers and enough food for a quick tour of Cornwall.
I noticed other riders didn't even have a rucksack so I ditched the panniers and bought one of those bags that strap underneath the seat. All the puncture equipment, keys ,wallet and spare innertube fit into it quite nicely. The pump attaches to the drinks cage and if you have a jersey with pockets on the back any food (I only take a Snickers ) and phone sits in the pocket. If you have two drink bottles and fill them with energy and rehydration drinks thats all you'll need for fifty miles.

MichaelM said:
And if that doesn't answer it, go for the one you prefer the look of.

I'd have bought a Planet X if the small had 2 bottle bosses.

I am pleased that its not just me that adopted this logic on the small Planet X. Bottle bosses are important !

MichaelM said:
And if that doesn't answer it, go for the one you prefer the look of.

I'd have bought a Planet X if the small had 2 bottle bosses.

I am pleased that its not just me that adopted this logic on the small Planet X. Bottle bosses are important !

MichaelM

Guru
Mista Preston said:

Indeed they are. As a result of this I went for an Orbea instead - an extra £600 for a set of bottle bosses ! ;)

Top Bottom