Planet X pro carbon - anybody got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I'm very tempted by the spec of the planet X pro carbon and how much bike you can get on the c2w scheme. Older reviews mention a flexy front end but that seems to have improved recently.

Does anybody on here have one? Is it worth a punt?

I live in London and driving to Sheffield to test out a bike seems a bit extreme so I'd really love to hear from anybody in the know.

Thanks

Jez

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
It's a reasonable bike IMHO. I know someone who used to have one and he adored it and seriously raved about it.
He never had any issues with it till he rode other peoples bikes.

It is a lot of bike for the money, it looks great and is perfectly fine if you have never really ridden a better frameset.
I personally find the front end to be lively to the point where I would describe it as nervous. I would not have enough confidence to race with it. The frame set is pretty comfortable but its simply not stiff enough or responsive enough for me.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

I only plan to use it for sportive/weekend riding and as a commuter in the summer months, it seems like a good value bike which can help me get my fitness up to tackle longer rides next year.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got one. It's a year old, with the SRAM Rival spec.
Really good bike for the money, and even better now.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Cheers @benb most of the reviews I read which complain about its errant front end and not having the full groupset seem to refer to previous models, maybe the current iteration has ironed out most of these issues.

Do you commute on yours? How's it taking the battering if you do?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Looks GVFM & it is a regular next bike consideration on here.

The Planet X Pro uses a generic South East Asian frame, which doesn't necessarily mean poor.

The Ribble R872 is the same frame as used on one of De Rosa's carbon models, exactly the same, except De Rosa charge 3 x the £££ for theirs & it came out of the same factory.

With a generic frame costs are kept low as several brands will use the same mould if not the same carbon lay up, which is referred to as 'open mould' I.e available to any brand that has the $$$ to pay for it.

The likes of Specialized, Giant & Trek invest $$$ millions in R & D developing their own frames in their own factories (still in Asia) & do not share with anyone.

If you like the bike, you could take a punt or go & test ride some other brands in your £ bracket.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:
PlanetX3.jpg
:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Awesome bike! Well worth waiting for the build. Mine was 3 weeks but they were in the throes of moving the workshop from one place to another. I love love love it. No front end problems that I have noticed. I probably would notice something howling down a hill at just shy of 40mph wouldn't I?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That's a beautiful colour @Saluki really tasteful. I like that a lot.
Thank you.
Seat and bars were supposed to match but the black seat (standard ladies seat that they use) was out of stock so they put a Selle Italia Lady Flow saddle on at no extra cost. Lovely people at Planet X :thumbsup:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cheers @benb most of the reviews I read which complain about its errant front end and not having the full groupset seem to refer to previous models, maybe the current iteration has ironed out most of these issues.

Do you commute on yours? How's it taking the battering if you do?

The front end on mine is certainly a little twitchy: I've had a speed wobble once or twice. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that.

It's not my main commuting bike: I probably commute once a week on it. It seems solidly built, so I'm sure it could take the miles.

D

Deleted member 18052

I'm a heavy rider on mine but getting there ;) lost about 7st now but that's besides the point. Probably been riding mine and lost a st since I started. Had no issues at all with mine apart from being an idiot trying to shorten the front derailure cable to stop it catching on my leg and it needed replacing by LBS.

Great bike

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Mate at work has just got one, compared with my Raleigh Militis 3 its not too far away geometry wise, fairly light as well. Upgrade the brakes and wheels and you have a superb bike IMO. My pal has certainly upped his pace on it compared to what he was riding before. Seems quite stiff but not had a chance to put the hammer down on it, only had a quick burl round the carpark with his. Its not full Ultrega so costs are obviously cut but it seems good value for a carbon frame entry bike. The Dolan at the same price point interested me as well. Also a Ribble carbon framed bike has made an appearence in the work bike shed, its quite a looker as well.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Mate at work has just got one, compared with my Raleigh Militis 3 its not too far away geometry wise, fairly light as well. Upgrade the brakes and wheels and you have a superb bike IMO. My pal has certainly upped his pace on it compared to what he was riding before. Seems quite stiff but not had a chance to put the hammer down on it, only had a quick burl round the carpark with his. Its not full Ultrega so costs are obviously cut but it seems good value for a carbon frame entry bike. The Dolan at the same price point interested me as well. Also a Ribble carbon framed bike has made an appearence in the work bike shed, its quite a looker as well.

I had trouble deciding between the Planet X and the Ribble. Both similar spec. In the end I decided the Planet X looked better.

johnnyh

Veteran
I do like my Pro Carbon, it is a very nimble machine and quick too... But I am having a few trust issues on fast downhills.

I had the dreaded speed wobble on a regular descent as I hit 40mph.
On inspection there is a patch of bumpy road and I was able to repeat the wobble. Seems the front wheel bounces up off the poor surface and the side winds across the valley set it off.

I'm going to try a different wheel set from the RS80s, but have also found inflating to 110psi as opposed to 120 helped.

Not had it happen anywhere else, so definitely 'conditions' based.

Will I keep the bike? Absolutely, fantastic on the circuit and still a quick ride :smile:
I'll just use my Trek for commutes when heading the way of the wobbly hill :smile:

Top Bottom