Planet X Pro carbon or RT-80?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Boring and ugly...and slow ;)

...........but that's enough about me.

Now, my Planet X Pro Carbon in matt black with full Ultegra is, imho, the dog's danglies :becool:

Any other colour is a crime against humanity.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Remember if you buy the bike from Planet X and you dont get on with it you will lose around 1/2 of what you paid if you try to sell it straight away. If you go to Sheffield they will let you sit on one but you'll not get a test ride. If I were you I'd be looking at a Synapse etc as well like some of the others have said.

Your probably right, Im certainly not rushing into this, but looking at the price people are asking on Flea bay for second hand 2 year old bikes they only want a few hundred pound less than brand new. In many cases I have found 2014/15 bikes being sold of by companies brand new for the same price as used ones. Im not saying they are selling at the price people want but certainly advertised.

e.g Cannonade super six eve on ebay starting £1300 Evans cycles £1499
Cube Attain with a mixiblob group set mainly Sora kit, £600. New Chainreaction £699.

With my injury I have time to shop around and understand no one wants to give things away but the second hand market on road bikes seems a bit pricey, and frames are even worse where it would be very difficult to build a second hand bike at the price of a new bike of the same specs.

It is very interesting though I am hooked even though I am a while away from cycling.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
£14999? :ohmy:

Joking aside, have a look at paulscycles for deals on older models. Sizes tend to be limited on the best deals

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Road-Racing

However, given your lack of knowledge, you'd be advised to buy from a local shop to avoid an expensive mistake. Or get some testrides at Evans and buy elsewhere, cheeky perhaps. Prices can be misleading, you can't just go on the model, also need to look at the full spec as you say

When do you expect your surgeon to clear you to ride a roadbike? Are you doing full on physio?

Last edited:
OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Whoops. Corrected the price.

I know the prices vary more on the Spec of the bike. Most Frames in my price range are less than half the price of the bike. But I do think people selling on eBay are occasionally looking for mugs.

It will be my call for when I can ride a bike. At the moment Im not even allowed to drive so probably looking at a few months as opposed to weeks in reality.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="richie244, post: 4309365, member: 47460]

It will be my call for when I can ride a bike. At the moment Im not even allowed to drive so probably looking at a few months as opposed to weeks in reality.[/QUOTE]

Not the same surgery, but I had a posterior labral repair in mid March. I was cleared to drive at 8 weeks and to cycle at 11. I've done 20 miles today, a bit sore but no more so than when doing physio exercises. I'm not going to overdo it for now as I have a lot of posterior tightness but feels ok :smile:

Halfords have the carbon Intrinsic Alpha with Tiagra for around £600 with British Cycling discount this weekend, bit depends what you want (to spend)

On the eBay front, I expect many people buy an expensive bike full price and then for whatever reason don't use it, or upgrade and are trying to not lose too much which is understandable. Used things sell for what the buyer with pay and the seller will accept ultimately

pawl

Legendary Member
Remember if you buy the bike from Planet X and you dont get on with it you will lose around 1/2 of what you paid if you try to sell it straight away. If you go to Sheffield they will let you sit on one but you'll not get a test ride. If I were you I'd be looking at a Synapse etc as well like some of the others have said.

Prior to buying my Pro carbon I visited the Sheffield shop they put the bike onto a turbo checked stem length crank length bar hight frame size Test ride albeit only round the car park. I broke a collar bone twelve months ago which wasn't surgically repaired , the Planet X is the one bike I can ride all day in comfort.

bondirob

I live very close to Planet X Barnsley and I've checked out the Pro Carbon & RT80 the lad in the shop tells me the RT80 is a more aggressive position and it does look that way.
The Pro Carbon is more endurance based.
I seriously thought about both but in the end went for a Synapse.
I got some advice from someone in the know who advised me that although Planet X offer a great deal groupset wise there carbon frames may not be up to the build standards of Cannondale, Giant etc
Also although the lads who work there are great
The guy who I reckon is the store manager comes across as a bit if a bell end.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I live very close to Planet X Barnsley and I've checked out the Pro Carbon & RT80 the lad in the shop tells me the RT80 is a more aggressive position and it does look that way.
The Pro Carbon is more endurance based.
I seriously thought about both but in the end went for a Synapse.
I got some advice from someone in the know who advised me that although Planet X offer a great deal groupset wise there carbon frames may not be up to the build standards of Cannondale, Giant etc
Also although the lads who work there are great
The guy who I reckon is the store manager comes across as a bit if a bell end.

Manager is a negative, i guess most work comes from on line for that reason.
Having been into an Evans cycles and had a sit on a few bikes I am comfortable on a Fuji sportive M54cm with a stand over 803mm
I am finding the sizing really difficult. With the stand over of the Pro Carbon L(52) being 775 and the RT80 54cm 883mm a full 8cm.

I am almost sure I will be finding what I want and buying the bike 2nd hand as what I want new is too expensive and I can't justify folding out so much on a toy that doesn't fit.

outlash

also available in orange
You don't really need to worry about standover height. The frame measurement you want in relation to your own body is the top tube length (centre to centre).

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
The Pro Carbon got an excellent review and rating in this months Bikes Etc. Only just came second to a Ribble, which was described as being slightly more exciting. Mind you; one man's exciting is another mans 'hard to relax on', so you pick!

Russell

Top Bottom