Planet X Pro carbon or RT-80?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

Having been researching bikes for ages, due to injury, I have been around the houses with makes and models. I decided to set my sights on a spec at my budget to reduce choice somewhat. So looking for a Carbon frame with Shimano Tiagra group set (prefer 105) with a budget of £1000

Looking at the Planet X range they look appealing with a good speck at a good price. The pro carbon seems a lot of bike for the money but I am drawn to the RT-80 as well.

Any advice or alternatives will be appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
You say you've had shoulder surgery. What was done?
You'd perhaps be best to consider a more relaxed set up than either of those, and certainly make sure you go there and try them out

Look at the Ribble Gran Fondo perhaps? Or a relaxed option from Dolan?

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I have had several Tendons re-attached, some ligaments tweaked and have quite bad arteritis.

Sorry for the newbie question. But what do you mean by a "more relaxed option" and how do I tell?

As with most places other than Halfords its difficult to get to the outlets to try bikes out.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have had several Tendons re-attached, some ligaments tweaked and have quite bad arteritis.

Sorry for the newbie question. But what do you mean by a "more relaxed option" and how do I tell?

As with most places other than Halfords its difficult to get to the outlets to try bikes out.
Evans offer free and simple testrides, just need a bank card and photo ID

You want to look for a bike that has a more relaxed geometry, might be marketed as 'sportive' or 'endurance'. It'll have a taller headtube or stack to give a more upright position. A racy geometry will put more pressure through your shoulders and neck. You might be ok if you have a good strong core and high level of fitness, but most find a more relaxed geometry more comfortable, especially if doing distances. Less important if 10mile TTs are your plan where being aero is important for speed

Perhaps look at the Giant Defy or Cannondale Synapse or Specialized Roubaix from the main brands, but there are loads of others too!

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
The pro carbon doesn't look that extreme a riding position, especially if you flipped the stem. 800 notes with ultegra bits at the moment looks pretty tempting.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

The pro carbon doesn't look that extreme a riding position, especially if you flipped the stem. 800 notes with ultegra bits at the moment looks pretty tempting.

Thats what I thought as in the price.

I must admit that you have lost me on the "flip the stem" statement. I assume you mean turn the bit attached to the bars up side down?

I think I can add spacers in the "build" section will this make it more relaxed?

I must admit I do like the fact with these and Wiggle bikes that you can change bits rather than taking an off the peg bike and adding preference parts as you go.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ultimately unless you are TT ing, you need to be comfortable on the bike. See if there is a geometrically comparable bike at Evans and as @vickster suggested go for a test ride. You may find that what you thought was going to be OK isn't.
There is no point in having spent hundreds of pounds on a bike you customised on an internet order, only to discover that the ride position isn't what you wanted. And finding the obvious tweaks of seat position, stem length etc, don't rectifiy the problem.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If I was in the market for a new bike, the current offers on the Pro Carbon would put it at the top of the list. It's a great deal, but only if it suits you - you really need a road test, or to at least try one for size.

Top Bottom