Planet X roubaix winter tights - views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Out of interest what are thier carriage costs?
heading towards £7 I think, with no option for a cheaper service even if you are prepared to be relaxed. I sometimes wonder if their mysterious ever-swinging pricing algorithm manages to make them a profit/margin on the shipping. If so, counterproductive as I tend to limit my purchases/wait until I can order a fair bit of stuff.

screenman

Legendary Member
heading towards £7 I think, with no option for a cheaper service even if you are prepared to be relaxed. I sometimes wonder if their mysterious ever-swinging pricing algorithm manages to make them a profit/margin on the shipping. If so, counterproductive as I tend to limit my purchases/wait until I can order a fair bit of stuff.

I am reviewing my carriage charges as margins get pinched, £7 seems reasonable.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I am reviewing my carriage charges as margins get pinched, £7 seems reasonable.
it's substantially above others.
And as I say, the likes of Rose aren't a lot more.
And Rose have the advantage (for consumers) in that you can order a wide range of stuff, including basic Shimano bits, to bulk up your order. Planet X isn't so great for day to day consumables.
Still, these bib longs do look very promising.
I can probably minimise any zip discomfort (hopefully it won't break) as I tend to use a base layer.

screenman

Legendary Member
it's substantially above others.
And as I say, the likes of Rose aren't a lot more.
And Rose have the advantage (for consumers) in that you can order a wide range of stuff, including basic Shimano bits, to bulk up your order. Planet X isn't so great for day to day consumables.
Still, these bib longs do look very promising.
I can probably minimise any zip discomfort (hopefully it won't break) as I tend to use a base layer.

is Rose in Germany? Might be different prices next year. The reason I say £7 is reasonable is that I think it is a fair price for what is involved.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
is Rose in Germany? Might be different prices next year. The reason I say £7 is reasonable is that I think it is a fair price for what is involved.
yes rose is in germany.
Yes maybe more complicated next year.
A major virtue of Rose is that they still sell mainstream bits.
I do find PlanetX carriage charges odd - why don't they use humble royal mail for small bits?

screenman

Legendary Member
yes rose is in germany.
Yes maybe more complicated next year.
A major virtue of Rose is that they still sell mainstream bits.
I do find PlanetX carriage charges odd - why don't they use humble royal mail for small bits?

I send out small bottles of resin for glass repair 15ml in each Royal Mail charge £4.70 for this on top of this I need paying for time packing and material used. It is not a con when you know the cost, I have always found Planetx very cost effective.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got a couple of pairs of these and, with having also been emailed the discount code, I'll be getting a couple more. Postage for up to 3 pairs is £3.95 for @screenman 's info, but add any more to the basket and it goes up to £6.99.

The fit is quite generous - I'm 5'11" (1m80cm) and fairly slim and the medium is a perfect fit as they seem to be cut quite long in the leg and there's no pulling at the shoulders on or off the bike. Tight without being the sort of thing you have to squeeze into and they're constructed of a medium weight fabric which I've found to be just right for most conditions. The zip isn't that long but it does help when a hedge stop is required!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I've got a couple of pairs of these and, with having also been emailed the discount code, I'll be getting a couple more. Postage for up to 3 pairs is £3.95 for @screenman 's info, but add any more to the basket and it goes up to £6.99.

The fit is quite generous - I'm 5'11" (1m80cm) and fairly slim and the medium is a perfect fit as they seem to be cut quite long in the leg and there's no pulling at the shoulders on or off the bike. Tight without being the sort of thing you have to squeeze into and they're constructed of a medium weight fabric which I've found to be just right for most conditions. The zip isn't that long but it does help when a hedge stop is required!
Thanks for the reply.
And sizing info.
I assumed i would be a large - not a large bloke but that's how bike kit sizing seems to go.
Can I ask what your waist measurement is?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply.
And sizing info.
I assumed i would be a large - not a large bloke but that's how bike kit sizing seems to go.
Can I ask what your waist measurement is?
I'm a 32" waist and 38" chest and did think about going for the large size when I got my first couple of pairs - glad I didn't. For once the sizing chart displayed was accurate. Edited to add: 33" inside leg if that helps.

screenman

Legendary Member

Good value on the postage then.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Roubaix:-
Roubaix (85% Nylon / 15% Lycra)
This is a close fitting, thermal stretch fabric, with a soft brushed lining. Roubaix is extremely warm, and it's high wicking properties help to maintain a comfortable microclimate close to the body. This reduces both chilling and overheating: a risk factor for dehydration.
I've had a few items of Planet-X bibs etc and find them to be OK.I preferred it when the had the two shops nearby so I could call in a try on because I really don't like paying the delivery charge when they're so close.

screenman

Legendary Member
On those - yours are the shorts I think but the 3/4 shorts seem to be built on the same thing - those I think have a pad - can I ask how good the pad is/what sort of ride lengths you do in them?

I find the pads very good, no long rides anymore only up to about 3 hours now but I imagine they would be fine for me at any distance.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Well my bib longs arrived (later I realised that the postage had most likely gone up to £6.99 because of the wheel bag I had bought, even though I have seen it a fair bit cheaper) .
First impressions, though I haven't ridden in them yet.
Excellent value for £25*.
I had to go for the large because of my waist measurement and as I expected these fit fine, so a good reference for future PlanetX purchases. Also as expected this made them somewhat long in the leg, though no great problem to have a bit of loose light material at ankle level.
Unlike some unpadded lussos I acquired, they do not have a double layer of material in the seat - a pity and I think they could do with something in the range that did but one can hardly complain at this price.
* They sent me a code for some more at £25 but I think I will hold fire - Planet X being Planet X I am pretty sure there will be future offers and I can buy some more bits and bobs at the same time to share postage costs and delivery hassle. These being padless I can of course get a fair amount of use from them before they have to hit the wash.
So all in all, very positive so far - recommended.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Another point - A response I think to someone who said that the zip caught their skin.
On reflection I have decided to put the base layer on top of the zip as I have a slight concern that it might do something to the inside of my very nice Altura Varium jacket.
Is this a no no?
Rather puts me in mind of some women pondering where nickers should go in relation to suspenders.

Am a very recent convert to bibs (only taken 20 to 25 years) but I must admit I like them, especially in foul weather. I can see myself using these a lot through the coming autumn and winter.

Top Bottom