Planet X RT-58 - help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martejo77

I have a Planet X RT-58, which I am very pleased with. I live in Sweden and during the winter I do not ride my bike outdoors. I thought it would be a great oppurtunity the give it a good clean and proper service.

Among other things, I therefore took of the complete drive train and bottom bracket etc. After I cleaned it I started to assemble it again. However, I do not think I managed to assemble it correctly. I have taken it apart again and again but it seems there is no other way to assemble it.

Here´s the thing (or is it perhaps not a problem???). There is a little gap between the inner side of the crankset (the spacer) and the bottom bracket on the drive side, maybe approximately 1-2 mm. I don´t think it was like that before I started "my work". I.e it seems the whole crankset is now 1-2 mm more to the right (looking at it from above). I realise now of course I should have double checked everything before I took it all apart but it is too late for that now.

Is there anyone out there with a Planet X RT-58 (or anyone else with a BSA GXP bottom bracket) that can help me? If so, can you take a photo of your bike/crankset (close up from above the crankset/chain ring which shows the bottom bracket and the thin spacer) so I can see what it should look like (gap or no gap?)?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

BR
//martejo77

Tommy2

Über Member
Can you post a picture of the gap?

GGJ

Veteran
There should be a bearing seal on the outer side of both bearings, the drive side bearing seal inner diameter is larger than the non drive side bearing seal.

Are you sure you fitted the seals in the correct position?

Levo-Lon

Guru
My rt58..mine has no spacers fitted..
hth

1483041879111.jpg

Last edited:

Stealthrider1

I have a Planet X RT-58, which I am very pleased with. I live in Sweden and during the winter I do not ride my bike outdoors. I thought it would be a great oppurtunity the give it a good clean and proper service.

Among other things, I therefore took of the complete drive train and bottom bracket etc. After I cleaned it I started to assemble it again. However, I do not think I managed to assemble it correctly. I have taken it apart again and again but it seems there is no other way to assemble it.

Here´s the thing (or is it perhaps not a problem???). There is a little gap between the inner side of the crankset (the spacer) and the bottom bracket on the drive side, maybe approximately 1-2 mm. I don´t think it was like that before I started "my work". I.e it seems the whole crankset is now 1-2 mm more to the right (looking at it from above). I realise now of course I should have double checked everything before I took it all apart but it is too late for that now.

Is there anyone out there with a Planet X RT-58 (or anyone else with a BSA GXP bottom bracket) that can help me? If so, can you take a photo of your bike/crankset (close up from above the crankset/chain ring which shows the bottom bracket and the thin spacer) so I can see what it should look like (gap or no gap?)?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

BR
//martejo77
Should there be a wave washer there before the non drive side crank goes on. I have a different bike but had the same issue, later realised I had dropped the wave washer and once refitted it was fine

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
@martejo77

It should be like this L --> R Non-drive side crank - black seal with metal band on the inside - BB Cup - Inner sleeve - BB Cup - Drive side bearing cover sleeve - crankset.

OP
OP
M

martejo77

Sorry for the late response. Had some issues with my camera. Please see photo enclosed. After some studying I have understood the washer to be called "wave washer". There seems to be plenty of room for the wave washer, i.e. it seems there is to much of a gap but maybe that´s the way it should be???

Attachments

• wave washer.jpg
    wave washer.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 58

Stealthrider1

I have BSA but FSA cranks and there is a wave washer. I'm unsure if yours has this as you have SRAM but if it does then the washer should look like this.

But as others have said your cranks would appear to not need this.....

I found this on another forum, may help you
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12743484

Attachments

• wavewsh-30mm_on_crank.600px.jpg
    wavewsh-30mm_on_crank.600px.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Sorry for the late response. Had some issues with my camera. Please see photo enclosed. After some studying I have understood the washer to be called "wave washer". There seems to be plenty of room for the wave washer, i.e. it seems there is to much of a gap but maybe that´s the way it should be???
Take it all off and start again. Keep in mind that SRAM cranksets have two bolts on the left crank, the outer one is only a backstop for the inner, as you loosen the bolt into it and it self extracts the crank off the axle.

OP
OP
M

martejo77

I am a bit confused. I bought this bike directly from Planet X and it was brand new at the time. It was delivered to me fully assembled (except for the wheels and handlebar of course). Now is the first time I remove the crankset etc and the wave washer was obviously there from the start. Maybe it is not needed (I don´t know) but anyways I guess it doesn´t do any harm either if it´s there. Correct, it is a SRAM crankset. And I am sure the wave washer was placed on the drive side (so I know I didn´t mix it up). I just find it weird...I have sent an email to PX but not yet received a reply. I guess I´ll have to take it for a ride and see how it works.

Top Bottom