Planet X RT-58 Ultegra Composite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I just finished my pro carbon build today, as said same frame with a different name. I've only had time for a quick trip round the block tonight (Still got to tape the bars) but it's a cracking frame for the price, full carbon forks too. The bike is so much lighter and more comfortable than my old ally Veranti.

Up to a few days ago the Viner frame was quite a bit dearer than the Pro Carbon I bought, but I see they've now reduced it to the same price, £299.

vickster

Legendary Member

Planet X? Road
One One? MTB

And Viner? Why on earth would they possibly want to trade off the name of a renowned Italian family firm that traded for sixty-five years and built up a reputation for quality, a race-winning pedigree, and some of the finest frame designs you could buy? Why indeed :smile:

As the owner of a Viner, I'm very glad that though the family are no longer involved, and that the current range no longer has the same scope for customisation (the top line models were entirely custom spec, sizing, geometry and carbon layup all to the rider's requirements), PX revived it and clearly gets the brand and its heritage. They're still manufacturing in Italy (yes, that Gladium certainly looks just like a PX made in Taiwan, probably is, but the Baldi family did the same, low-end built overseas, high-end in Italy..) and what they've lost in uniqueness they've gained in price. The old top of the line Maxima models reached £5k at the end for a frameset (my friend who has one fortunately paid rather less a few years earlier). Planet X currently has the Maxima RS 3.0 at £1k....The new Mitus is a snip at £1600 with full Chorus (rave review in C+).

Thanks for the explanation/history lesson - I knew none of that :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just checked link this morning and previously unavaliable options can be pre-ordered. Getting mine hopefully in late March.
Don't know how they do it for the money. I got the RT57 last year for under a grand, whilst every other manufacturer was offering carbon frames with Sora or Tiagra at best :blush:

uclown2002

Guru
They have upped the price to £899 now!

Edit; it looks like £899 gets you the Ultegra chainset instead of the FSA.

I no longer see the Ultegra Composite at £799 on their website.

Last edited:

AAddict

Regular
Although they didn't allow the 20% code they compromised at £739 deilvered, mine shipped today. :hyper:

AAddict

Regular
Not the greatest photo but I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20150313_135240.jpg

AAddict

Regular
I had a quick 20 min blast before once I'd straightened bars and put some pedals on. My opinion is a bit worthless to be fair as I've not had a road bike before, but what I will say is it has surpassed what I was hoping for, nice and light and fast. The only thing I find a bit iffy are the brakes seem weak, but I guess the pads will need to bed in, and I'm used to hydraulic discs on my MTB's.

AAddict

Regular
Just in case anyone didn't realise the Matt Black RT-58 does actually have decals, they are pretty stealthy for decals and I had to up the brightness of the photo to show them, there is also a very feint RT-58 on the seat tube.

decal.jpg

Top Bottom