Planet X RTD80 Shifter Inner Cable replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
I need to replace my shifter inners for the first time on a Planet X RTD80. I have confirmed with Planet X that the bike uses cable guides inside the frame (rather than the outers running through the frame as well), but they said that these guides are not guaranteed to stay in place during inner replacement.

What's the best way to do this job?

Thanks
Mark

lpretro1

Give it a go and pray that the guides stay put - not much point of having a guide if it doesn't!

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Thanks. I've not dealt with guides. My other bike the outers run through, so it's easier.

Questions
1. If the guides fall out etc, are they needed? If I leave bare inner inside the frame without a guide, is that OK?
2. I was thinking of trying to pull some thread through while removing the old inner (tied to the old inner), and then using this thread to pull the new inner through. Good idea?

lpretro1

Thanks. I've not dealt with guides. My other bike the outers run through, so it's easier.

Questions
1. If the guides fall out etc, are they needed? If I leave bare inner inside the frame without a guide, is that OK?
2. I was thinking of trying to pull some thread through while removing the old inner (tied to the old inner), and then using this thread to pull the new inner through. Good idea?

The guides do stop the cables clacking about inside and making a noise. They shouldn't drop out unless you pull them out - if they do drop they will do so inside the frame and then rattle around possibly. If you can't use the guide, depending on how your cables are routed you might have to do silly stuff like take the bb out - or sometimes there's a plastic tab under the bb which is removable (with care). Also if the inside of the frame is not well finished then it can make it awkward getting the cables through as they can get fouled by bits of raggy carbon left inside. You can buy a kit which has magnets for drawing the wire through but not cheap.

Roger

Veteran
On my PX RT58 I remove the cable guide from the frame near handle bars and you should be able to see inner cable. Mine had enough cable inner under the bottom bracket to push up and a little out of the guide hole, I put some tape on to hold it and then pulled old cable out and pushed new cable in.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
I don't know what PX were on about. There was just bare inner cable inside the frame. Best way I found was to feed old inner up from the bottom bracket port, and use a hook to pull it out of the ports on the side of the downtube. Then, use some tape to join it to the new inner and pull the new inner back down and out through the port on the bottom bracket. I used Aluminium foil tape because it's quite sticky and moldable.

Top Bottom