PlanetX - calls in the administrators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like most hobbies, it costs what you are prepared to pay. But in most cases, the more enthusiastic participants will get more out of it from better equipment - up to a certain point.

£10K bikes are only really noticeably better for those who are at a fairly serious competitive level - but of course some want (and can afford) "the best" even if they don't need it. And if that is what they enjoy, why not?

Others seem to take a perverse pride in paying virtually nothing, only buying second-hand and doing bikes up for as little as they can.

Most of us fall somewhere between those two stools. While there will be people on here who have never spent more than £3400 ona bike, and others who will have that £10K bike, I would expect the majority of us on this site to have a "main" bike which cost somewhere between £1200 and £3000. And that we expect to last us for quite a few years.

Why would it be perverse to buy a cheap bike and use it for very little money? Seems the most economically and environmentally responsible thing to do. If someone goes into a supermarket and buys cheaper value items rather than premium products is that also perverse? I think being more careful with your money is generally a good thing plus of course for some people its a necessity and not in anyway perverse.

Perverse would be against logic I would of thought. Paying high sums for a high depreciation product that will lose thousands just by riding it away from the bike shop surely is far more perverse because there is a huge financial loss involved for very little gain.

I know its all down to personal perspective. I have high regard for people who keep using the same items for years meaning a minimal impact on the environment and low regard for people who pay huge sums for short life products which have very marginal advantages and often many disadvantages.

Others seem to take a perverse pride in paying virtually nothing, only buying second-hand and doing bikes up for as little as they can.

Bonzobob beat me to it, but why is this pride "perverse". That is as judgemental as saying someone takes a perverse pride in spending as much as they can possibly afford for a bike.

The pride involved in owning a bargain bike that the individual has bought and spent time doing up into a good-to-ride bike is no more perverse than buying a brand new expensive bike built by the manufacturer/retailer.

I have had huge pleasure, and some pride, although I hope not a perverse pride, in owning three bikes that I ride frequently and which cost me less than £1000 in total compared to a new cost of £5000. I enjoy riding all these bikes and I am sure I would have been even more pleased, possibly proud, if I could have got them for even less.

Alex321

Veteran
Bonzobob beat me to it, but why is this pride "perverse". That is as judgemental as saying someone takes a perverse pride in spending as much as they can possibly afford for a bike.

The pride involved in owning a bargain bike that the individual has bought and spent time doing up into a good-to-ride bike is no more perverse than buying a brand new expensive bike built by the manufacturer/retailer.

I have had huge pleasure, and some pride, although I hope not a perverse pride, in owning three bikes that I ride frequently and which cost me less than £1000 in total compared to a new cost of £5000. I enjoy riding all these bikes and I am sure I would have been even more pleased, possibly proud, if I could have got them for even less.

To me, it is somewhat perverse to take pride in anything you buy. But more so to take pride in either the fact that it was expensive OR the fact that it was cheap.

It certainly isn't (as Bonzobanana suggested) perverse to want to do things cheaply, or to enjoy getting very good value. It just seems a little perverse to me to take pride in doing so.

Again, taking pride in turning something which had been neglected into something good is not in any way perverse - that is taking pride in what you have done.

To me, it is somewhat perverse to take pride in anything you buy. But more so to take pride in either the fact that it was expensive OR the fact that it was cheap.

It certainly isn't (as Bonzobanana suggested) perverse to want to do things cheaply, or to enjoy getting very good value. It just seems a little perverse to me to take pride in doing so.

Again, taking pride in turning something which had been neglected into something good is not in any way perverse - that is taking pride in what you have done.

The pride, as you say, is not in the buying but in being able to turn that bike into something that is a pleasure to own and ride.

A definition of pride: "a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired."

Pride is not always a good thing as it has come before a nasty fall on two of those bikes.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like with every hobby - cycling is full of people that will tell others how they should enjoy it. There are many 'high budget' cyclists that look down on people getting used bargains. Equally, there are about as many 'low budget' cyclists that will look down on the other group. I personally don't give a toss whether your bike cost £100, £1.000, or £10.000. Do what you please with your own money.

I'm the worst of both worlds. have a bike that didn't cost a huge amount originally but I've spent a lot of money on it. I'm sure the penny-pinching brigade disapprove as heartily as the mythical high budget snobs would, if any of them actually exist.

Jameshow

Veteran
Like most hobbies, it costs what you are prepared to pay. But in most cases, the more enthusiastic participants will get more out of it from better equipment - up to a certain point.

£10K bikes are only really noticeably better for those who are at a fairly serious competitive level - but of course some want (and can afford) "the best" even if they don't need it. And if that is what they enjoy, why not?

Most of us fall somewhere between those two stools. While there will be people on here who have never spent more than £3400 ona bike, and others who will have that £10K bike, I would expect the majority of us on this site to have a "main" bike which cost somewhere between £1200 and £3000. And that we expect to last us for quite a few years.

"Others seem to take a perverse pride in paying virtually nothing, only buying second-hand and doing bikes up for as little as they can."

Reactions: C R
With all this advertising that PlanetX are getting I think I will have a look at what they have for sale .
When PlanetX were advertising their Classic steel framed Holdsworth cycles some years ago I was a bit tempted. Having seen my brother's bike now I am a bit jealous. It does look really nice and he has had some very good comments from other riders on the road .

Alex321

Veteran
"Others seem to take a perverse pride in paying virtually nothing, only buying second-hand and doing bikes up for as little as they can."

I know what I said.

Now tell me just where in that you can see anything suggesting "Why would it be perverse to buy a cheap bike and use it for very little money?"

Top Bottom