PlanetX - calls in the administrators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I wouldn't spend 2.5 grand on a bike even if I had the cash.

Same here

Good morning,

The thing is, I have become rather fond of Di2, so whenever I look at a bike I am used to the wacking great chunk of cash that it commands.

If I look at a £1k bike with Sora/Tiagra I think Wow That's a lot, but if I add another £1k to bring it up to 105 Di2 the £2k total seems almost cheap.

I have checked the forum rules and there is no requirement for members to be rational or sensible.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But I actively don't want 12 speed and hydraulic brakes which 105 Di2 forces onto the customer, I don't really want 10 speed on a 2x but don't mind it that much.

I am using my Raleigh this week which is currently set up as a 1x8 42-12/28, because it is a double chain ring with only the "inner ring" on the outer position it is really a 1x6 42-12-23 and I am quite happy with that gearing. Although I would prefer that the 25 tooth on the cassette was usable but it is a bit too cross chainy to use out of the saddle up a steep hill.

I can't see myself paying anywhere near £2.5k for a bike without electronic shifting and as Shimano no longer make Di2 with a "sensible number of gears" I am going to have to see if I can get one of those Chinese systems with the rear mechs that can work with 8,9,10 or more sprockets.

I take the point about the price, very often when I talk about bike prices to non enthusiasts they are shocked that You can pay a £1k for a bike or I thought that £500 is a lot for bike.

I think that this is the problem that many in the bike industry either don't see or don't want to see, because there is the £12k Team Bike in the range anything under £2k is petty cash, but there are so few customers who see it that way.

Bye

Ian

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't see myself paying anywhere near £2.5k for a bike without electronic shifting and as Shimano no longer make Di2 with a "sensible number of gears" I am going to have to see if I can get one of those Chinese systems with the rear mechs that can work with 8,9,10 or more sprockets.
You wouldn't buy from Planet X in case there is a problem in the future, but you would consider buying the most complex and likely to fail parts direct from a Chinese company and don't see any potential warranty issues there?! :wacko:

Good afternoon,
You wouldn't buy from Planet X in case there is a problem in the future, but you would consider buying the most complex and likely to fail parts direct from a Chinese company and don't see any potential warranty issues there?! :wacko:
Yes.

Implementation of a Di2 type system is pretty simple once someone else has shown you how to do it, the costs are in the design and tooling, so if I had to buy a new rear mech every year because of a few cut corners it wouldn't be much greater that the cost of a Shimano Ultegra chain ring.

How can you charge £100 for a chain ring and not expect to be ridiculed for it, which is what Ultegra outer rings are going for?

There is a huge difference between a $200 (USD) rear mech and a £1,500 (GBP) frame.

There is of course the problem that my 753 Raleigh frame was one of a batch of 250, never to be remade, but fortunately for all practical purposes it is a 725 frame with a different colour sticker and a bit of hype over 0-20 grams of chromium.

Why do you think that a Di2ish compenent is most likely to fail? For example a 3 month old Tiagra freehub failed https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-complete-stranger-lent-me-a-bike.291606/

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Same here

And here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dear Planet X, it is nice that it looks like the company will survive for now, but is there any chance that you could cut back on the creepy ***t!

After I happen to fill a few spare moments browsing through your sale items, I don't expect you to go on a cookie-tracing fest and a couple of hours later send an email telling me this...

Planet X pestering me.png

I wasn't SHOPPING, I was BROWSING - don't do that! :cursing:

Alex321

Veteran
My whole fleet of bikes ie 10+ don't add up to 2.5k and not one of them is what I classify as entry level

I wouldn't spend 2.5 grand on a bike even if I had the cash.

Same here

My current bike cost a little over £2K, and I haven't regretted it for one moment.

If you have 10+ bikes, averaging less than £250, then they are obviously 2nd hand bikes, particu7larly if they "Aren't entry level". You won't even get an entry level new bike (as opposed to BSO) for £250.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Dear Planet X, it is nice that it looks like the company will survive for now, but is there any chance that you could cut back on the creepy ***t!

After I happen to fill a few spare moments browsing through your sale items, I don't expect you to go on a cookie-tracing fest and a couple of hours later send an email telling me this...

View attachment 695180
I wasn't SHOPPING, I was BROWSING - don't do that! :cursing:

This is a common practice, haven't you seen it before?

I've never really thought about it but I imagine you must be logged into the site for the company to send you email. If not it implies to me you have been hacked which is very sinister.

Whenever I've experienced this it's when I've popped browsed items in the basket to store/compare things I'm interested in.

Lusso do it and, I think, Galibier.

Good morning,
This is a common practice, haven't you seen it before?.......
I agree that this is quite normal and it raises a tricky question for the site.

Has the user left the site thinking that they have ordered the item and will be annoyed when it doesn't arrive?
or
Was the user just browsing and added the item to the basket with no intention of buying at that point in time.

So what "tone" should the site use, a light hearted friendly one, such as Planet X used or a more formal one,

Dear Sir,

A transaction has been started against your account at The Shop but not completed, if it was your intention to purchase these item then please be aware they have not actually been purchased.

If you did not wish to purchase these items then you do not need to do anything as the order will be automatically deleted after 12 hours.

Kind Regards

The Shop

Understanding your customers is important and all to often the content of automated emails are just banged out without any thought being given to how the recipient will feel when reading them.

Amongst others I have used SJS Cycles and Planet X for mail order,

SJS send out only necessary emails (order acknowledgement/invoice etc.) and use a quite formal tone, I like this

Planet X really annoyed me with unnecessary emails and a very informal tone, Planet X and I are not friends, I am a customer of theirs.

People of different ages and attitudes see the internet differently and a clearly reasonable question, did you forget to finish an order has annoyed a customer because of its presentation, which to me reads as spam advertising not the actual question being asked.

Bye

Ian

I have sometimes looked at new bikes thinking . "Ooh! That looks nice and shiny . I wonder how much it is ?"
£10,000 !
A bit of a shock!
You would then have to go out and buy all the cycle gear to go with it as you would look silly riding it in jeans and trainers . I thought cycling was supposed to be cheap? :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is a common practice, haven't you seen it before?

I've never really thought about it but I imagine you must be logged into the site for the company to send you email. If not it implies to me you have been hacked which is very sinister.

Whenever I've experienced this it's when I've popped browsed items in the basket to store/compare things I'm interested in.

Lusso do it and, I think, Galibier.

We do it for our mail order website. If people look at an item or put an item in the basket and not buy, then they get a reminder email. You can set the time limit for when it's sent or to turn it off so they dont receive.
It's nothing to do with cookie tracking and certainly not sinister. It's called marketing and you'll be surprised at how often it does generate a sale.

Top Bottom