Planned Routes..Sort of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the reasons I bought a Garmin 800 with mapping was I kept getting properly lost when doing exactly this. I still get properly lost but at least I can get the assistance necessary to find myself again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually plan where I am going and stick to it but do occasionally change my mind if weather conditions are not what were expected, or I feel better/worse than when I set off.

I vary according to how I'm feeling. Went out on Sunday and was so enjoying the fresh breeze and sunshine that I diverted over the Nick of Pendle then threw in a climb of Whalley Nab. Rides nowadays are about quality, not quantity.
Deviations occur when someone says something on the lines of "Shall we just go over Birdy**?" or similar.

** Birdy Brow is a beast of a climb in Lancashire. A favourite.
I liked Birdy Brow when I rode it for the first time, last year, but it wasn't quite as tough as expected. The Nick of Pendle is quite hard. I found Whalley Nab even harder than expected - very tough, but not quite an absolute killer***.

*** A 'killer' hill is one that I either dismount on or very nearly have to!

Most of the time I am in explorer mode and if I see a lane or trail I haven't ridden I will give it a go. There are times that I like to ride the same route when I am feeling in a more meditative mood.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I usually plan where I am going and stick to it but do occasionally change my mind if weather conditions are not what were expected, or I feel better/worse than when I set off.

I liked Birdy Brow when I rode it for the first time, last year, but it wasn't quite as tough as expected. The Nick of Pendle is quite hard. I found Whalley Nab even harder than expected - very tough, but not quite an absolute killer***.

*** A 'killer' hill is one that I either dismount on or very nearly have to!
In my experience many climbs are talked up in terms of difficulty. Birdy is a really good climb. The Nick I find a hard grind but The Nab :eek: sends shivers down me. That is one very serious climb.

Top Bottom