Planning! Every last detail or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Part of your planning should involve learning which parts of Northern Spain do not like being spoken to in Spanish ^_^
My Catalan is slightly better than my Basque...
I recently watched one of those 'Walter Presents' series on All4 ('Night and Day') and thought the language sounded a bit unusual, like a cross between Spanish and French. I think that must have been Catalan because the series was based in Barcelona.

I remember seeing graffiti on walls near Benidorm saying the equivalent of 'Valencians are not Spanish!'.

jay clock

Massive member
First of all, the above seems rather self- contradicting.

Second, was it that the 3 Americans had booked everything or that they'd left themselves no slack? It might be interesting to read an account of overdosing on planning if you can find the link again.
Not sure if this is the one I was referring to but this lot have a detailed mile by mile plan

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=2sf&page_id=26777&v=Uq

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I generally camp when on tour, largely because of the flexibility it gives me to do what I feel like doing.

The greatest difference between initial intentions and what I ended up actually doing was when an intended trip to the west of Scotland was changed a day or two before departure, in the face or a reliable looking forecast for a week of heavy rain (about 10 days in the event), to a planned trip to France via Poole to Cherbourg, and return Roscoff to Plymouth. However, when I got to Poole, I decided that I'd cycled in Normandy or Brittany several times, but had never done Dorset or south Devon, so I just turned right rather than finding the ferry booking office.

I virtually never plan actual routes during the day, and even when I'm on a tour organised by someone else with full route planning, I may not stick to the plan.
The biggest unofficial detours have been when I've spotted an adventurous off road option - eg Inveraray to Glencoe via Loch Etive, Glen Kinglass, the Black Mount and the Kings House rather than following the coast from Taynuilt, or Pinos Genil to Lanjaron via the Pico Veleta and Capilera rather than going round the bottom.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Not sure if this is the one I was referring to but this lot have a detailed mile by mile plan

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=2sf&page_id=26777&v=Uq

What's interesting there is that the plan broke down on about day 5 (out of 30). The very detailed planning they went through didn't allow for the physical side of what they wanted to do - a very easy thing to do when you're heading somewhere you haven't been before. There's a lesson in there, somewhere.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I generally camp when on tour, largely because of the flexibility it gives me to do what I feel like doing.

The greatest difference between initial intentions and what I ended up actually doing was when an intended trip to the west of Scotland was changed a day or two before departure, in the face or a reliable looking forecast for a week of heavy rain (about 10 days in the event), to a planned trip to France via Poole to Cherbourg, and return Roscoff to Plymouth. However, when I got to Poole, I decided that I'd cycled in Normandy or Brittany several times, but had never done Dorset or south Devon, so I just turned right rather than finding the ferry booking office.

That, for me, is the great thing about travelling on a bike - huge changes initiated by a twist of the handlebars!:smile:

[/QUOTE]

I'm the same, my best ever holidays when I was younger were spent hitch hiking around Europe and North Africa..
The total randomness of not knowing where you will get to, who you will meet, or where you will sleep is a great adventure (mostly)

Still in middle age use it as a way of getting around in the hills of Scotland and Europe for accessing remote walking where public transport is scarce or non existent..
It's a self selecting way of meeting the friendly, helpful, and usually interesting people.. Who know stuff as locals, that the Internet won't tell you.

This is the sort of thing that would stress me out of my tiny mind: Unknowns, Lots Of New People, and no plan...

I can just about handle the idea of not knowing where I'll put my tent, but the thought of sudden social interactions would give me the heebie-jeebies.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is the sort of thing that would stress me out of my tiny mind: Unknowns, Lots Of New People, and no plan...

I can just about handle the idea of not knowing where I'll put my tent, but the thought of sudden social interactions would give me the heebie-jeebies.

And this is my idea of fun - wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same.??

I mostly travel in areas of low population density so its not like I'm bumping into people every five minutes - but i usually find it interesting to stop for a chat when i do come across someone.

As someone else mentioned above - my work life is full of lists, and plans, and knowing what must be achieved - so to not have all those goals - and just be free to wander about is a proper holiday.

Its not like i don't have ideas - or possible routes but they're not so fixed maybe ? - Get to a certain pub in time for my birthday - fly my kite at every col - that kind of thing.
One time it was pitch my tent, in front of the small Scottish Island that bears the same name.

I'm commissioning a friend to knit me a jumper - my goal this Autumn is to visit to collect it - said friend lives in Galicia - so it makes sense to cycle there from Santander to pick it up yes?

But plan b is to get it posted when its finished , if the trip lands me somewhere else ...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Absolutely, in fact this phrase was in my mind as I wrote the post.

Funny thing is that my work is the opposite: there are goals but they are fluid and we have to figure out how to get to them every day.

Oh, and I'm working with people all the time...

Well yes i wouldn't want to be with people all the time - at work or play.

That's why holidays for me are mostly hill walking, or cycle touring - plenty of time to think - and admire the view - and not have to be sociable.

But then sometimes its fun to meet, and chat to people along the way too, if you're in the mood.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I remember arriving and realising I'd found a culture that thought like me.

Eighteen happy years later I know it's not that simple, but I'm not complaining.

I love Germany. I've lived and worked in Hamburg, Koln and around Frankfurt. Germans are incredibly formal and stiff - until you break them down. Then, by God, they'd run through walls for you.

I love Germany. I've lived and worked in Hamburg, Koln and around Frankfurt. Germans are incredibly formal and stiff - until you break them down. Then, by God, they'd run through walls for you.

People in this region think the people of Köln and Frankfurt are a bit too relaxed...

But you're right, they'll run through walls for you once they trust you. You wouldn't believe the amount of help we've had from people here after Brexit.

Top Bottom