Planning! Every last detail or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
But will they give you your bicycles back? ;)
I'm not Dutch ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Funnily enough ... :whistle:

I want to get a metric century in before the end of February but I am still getting over a bad cold so I didn't want to commit myself to one long ride so I'd tackle it in two legs. I decided I would do the route in question my usual way and if I still feel okay at the end of it I will go round the roundabout in Todmorden and do it again in the opposite direction!

I wanted to make sure that the route was 50 km or slightly further. It actually turns out to be 52 km so I will do the full route one way and cut out one little climb on the second leg which will reduce that one to 50 km.

If I feel knackered after one leg, I'll rest for a couple of days and then give it another go.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Funnily enough ... :whistle:

I want to get a metric century in before the end of February but I am still getting over a bad cold so I didn't want to commit myself to one long ride so I'd tackle it in two legs. I decided I would do the route in question my usual way and if I still feel okay at the end of it I will go round the roundabout in Todmorden and do it again in the opposite direction!

I wanted to make sure that the route was 50 km or slightly further. It actually turns out to be 52 km so I will do the full route one way and cut out one little climb on the second leg which will reduce that one to 50 km.

If I feel knackered after one leg, I'll rest for a couple of days and then give it another go.

Plus navigating that roundabout in one route direction, or t'other will lengthen or shorten the distance of the ride, by considerable metres unless it's a straight through entry and exit.

:smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Conversing with strangers is not seen as stalking in my part of the world:smile:.

If it is then I'm a serial stalker :sad:

In fact all of us on here are :bicycle:

If you want an example of someone who likes pre-planning try this https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=2sf&doc_id=21798&v=Ll - he leaves in June and has every day of riding planned. Click on his name for the detailed background!
It takes all sorts, but that seems wholly anathema to touring to me. Every mile planned and covered by a GPX. I bet even Mark Beaumont's record route and schedule wasn't planned in advance to that level of granularity, instead taking each leg as it comes.

If you're in a big group then you need to have accommodation sorted out a few days beforehand so some element of pre-planning is fair enough but for 3 or fewer people, camping? No way. My prediction: his meticulously crafted itinerary will not last a week.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My prediction: his meticulously crafted itinerary will not last a week.
He already seems to have done tours with similar levels of planning. The Atlantic Coast one had quite some disruption and he seems to have updated his plans OK. I wouldn't want to do it like that, but if it works for him, carry on IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
He already seems to have done tours with similar levels of planning. The Atlantic Coast one had quite some disruption and he seems to have updated his plans OK. I wouldn't want to do it like that, but if it works for him, carry on IMO!
Good on him. What's the point in creating an extremely detailed plan if it gets ditched at the first hurdle?

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the point in creating an extremely detailed plan if it gets ditched at the first hurdle?
It doesn't all get ditched, it gives you something to work with and it makes it easier to check if it's even remotely within the bounds of possibility. If you never plan anything, how do you know whether you're engaged in an inevitably-disappointing futile attempt at the impossible?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
He seems to have rest / slack days built in every 6-8 days. So I guess his plan is to use those rest / slack days to get back on his schedule if he finds he has fallen behind. Maybe he needs that level of detail if he wants to get across the USA in the time available?

Top Bottom