Planning our first small Tour ( North shields to Moray )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

To be blunt, this is where I am heading. You posted a question about a Decathlon bike. We questioned if you needed suspension forks. Now you are posting about a Cube bike that has suspension forks. Rinse and repeat.

The problem your approach causes for you is that people are posting based on scattered, incomplete information so you end up with mixed, counter-productive advice.

Point taken.

I am grateful for the replies and advice and it might not seem like it, but I have been taken it all on board, I know so much more now than 3 weeks ago. From the replies and pointers to different bikes ( which I google, read reviews and look at specs ) I am learning all the time.

The cube was recommended by a local bike shop,, i was interested in peoples views why he would recommend it, that maybe i was missing something about the bike, it seems that maybe he didnt understand what I was after or give me some poor advice.

But you are dead right too many questions too soon and its obvious now that I am struggling to get my points and questions across well with the written word.

thanks for taking the time to reply

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

Not really, I don't think.

My wife has applied for the cycle to work loan scheme and has a budget of up to £1000, the advice and help I ask on here is for both of us, so when someone says this is a good bike, we both look at it and discuss it, we are both learning tons for whats been said. I think she gets the paperwork soon and needs to get a quote from a bike shop for a bike, reason why the new bike thing seems in a hurry, as its for her.

I asked her to join the forum but she doesn't want to and is happy for me to just ask stuff on here.

when I say training for the ride maybe a better word would be practicing, my wife is keen on the training side of things ( non riding ) she feels we need core work and other exercise, I think that comes from her sports science degree, I think she will work me quite hard off the bike lol

thanks again for your post, a really good read and plenty to think about, I think in my excitement I have failed to get my points across as well as I would have liked and can totally see how my "thinking out loud" approach could be irritating for other people, even though its helped me tons, and i mean tons.

So like many other pieces of advice which I have taken on board ( like dropping the camping part of tour which is a great one btw saves a ton of hassle first time out ) I will step back from asking so many questions and hopefully stop irritating everyone, as thats the last thing I want to do.

thanks again for a very helpful and honest reply.

Point taken.

I am grateful for the replies and advice and it might not seem like it, but I have been taken it all on board, I know so much more now than 3 weeks ago. From the replies and pointers to different bikes ( which I google, read reviews and look at specs ) I am learning all the time.

The cube was recommended by a local bike shop,, i was interested in peoples views why he would recommend it, that maybe i was missing something about the bike, it seems that maybe he didnt understand what I was after or give me some poor advice.

But you are dead right too many questions too soon and its obvious now that I am struggling to get my points and questions across well with the written word.

thanks for taking the time to reply

You'll get different advice about the bikes and it really depends how you describe you'll use it. For instance, I'm presuming you're not buying it just for this trip, you'll use it more to ride at evenings/weekends etc on the road. Hence the odd bit of rough stuff on a tour once or twice a year isn't enough justification for suspension. The guy in the shop may have got a different impression that this was requirement. The cube seems ok, fine for touring with a reasonable load, ... But I'd find it limiting to ride the other times of the year on the road if the aim was to get up a bit of speed (front suspension, ...). I'd buy a bike which was good for riding normally (road?) and could be used for touring, even if that meant the odd detour to avoid any stuff that was too rough.

In your 600 quid budget, have you allocated money for locks (getting your bike nicked 1/2 through a tour is frustrating), panniers / storage, equipment (lid, pump, allan keys, ...), clothes, .... If not, aim for a 400 quid bike and you'd still be tight for £600 overall.

I tend to look at Touring as a series of day rides whether I intend to ride 360 miles or 3600 miles, it still boils down to how many miles you want to or are able to ride in a day. Contrary to what other peeps will tell you, if you are of a normal phyisical fitness and not to much over wieght, you should be able to get to a suitable fitness in a few days riding. remember that each day you are cycling on tour will increase your fitness more. I would surggest that once you have your cycles sorted and whatever panniers or bikepacking bags you intend to use, just load the bikes up and go for a 10-15 mile ride, to get used to the different handling feel that they give.. Another day load up again, plan a circular ride based on your home location and of the daily distance you think you can achieve on your planned tour, then see how you fare you can use this as a chance to shake out your equiptment, I smile when I read people worrying about if cycles are suitable you only have to see the loads people carry on cycles held together with bits of string and and sticky backed tape.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
Something like this without suspension may be worth looking at, Start Fitness are based in Darlington.
It looks to tick all your boxes, was £849, now £699 but a further 10% off using code BLACK10. still quite a heavy bike at 15.8kg but 3.5kg lighter than the B'Twin Hoprider.
Only size M available but you could look elsewhere if it’s not your size. I think Westbrook cycles also sell them and have offers at the minute.
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/scott-2017-silence-30-mens-hybrid-bike-grey-249779.html
An extra 10% off and free jacket apparently worth £110! From Westbrook.
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/s...MI2by6_cPq3gIVX_7jBx2W1A1bEAQYASABEgIN1PD_BwE
And the ladies version;
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/s...MInNbuw8Tq3gIVh7TtCh1ytgcOEAQYBSABEgLPvfD_BwE
Or if you fancy drop handlebars then this 2018 Ridgeback tour is £545.
https://www.dalescycles.com/ridgeba...MI24uH5Mjq3gIVBANpCh2TxwyiEAQYAyABEgLbMvD_BwE

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I still fail to see anything wrong with your current bicycle. You know, the Americans are having their huge sales today. I know, as I went at 0600 to a box and builders store to get one of the grandGA's a toy car track he wanted, and waited in a quarter mile long line to check out. But they may have some online bicycle deals as well. And we pay a whole lot less for a bicycle over here, new or used. Getting it to Britain may be a whole nother deal. Bike Nashbar is in bankruptcy, as is Performance Bicycles.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling...xI5--MN7pUKIzQ1nzGt6LgMN9CTtfzDcaAkfEEALw_wcB

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Last edited:
OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This ^^^. Let me guess, he doesn't stock a touring bike?

Slightly off topic, but not many shops stock traditional touring bikes.

Lots of road bikes, CX, gravel, all of which can be adapted to tour, but you rarely see a drop bar relaxed geometry bike with a mountain triple, mudguards and rack.

Top Bottom