Planning our first small Tour ( North shields to Moray )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
wow your really good at finding the best deals online, thanks again for helping, going to check some reviews out on this one, thats a massive saving.
It’s good to know your height now, the advice you’ve received re. Size is good. It’s always best to sit and try before you buy but you cannot always find touring bikes in store, you may have to take a chance online. I’m 5’ 8” too and ride both 52cm & 54cm frames, I cannot say which I find most comfortable, after fine adjustment they all feel good.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Just had another lovely day out, 18 miles approx. 9 miles there 9 miles back.

Met a cracking bloke in another LBS, he was fantastic, so helpful, we spent a good 3-4 hours talking about options and the best way forward, wife had a good chat about things.

everything from peddles and saddles to panniers and locks, spot on customer service.

I think for now on this will be my new go to bike shop, a nice simple 8 mile ride away, with a cracking little coffee shop about 10-15 mins away, so perfect.

So my budget sunk like the titanic, but we have a list of items to get, some will take a good few months to save up for, but he is happy doing that, the end cost for both bikes all kitted out to our specs comes to £3200 the bikes came in at £1100 each (£100 over my wifes budget for a bike and £400 over my budget, thanks to 12 months interest free, could push the boat out abit )

The extras, include locks, lights, peddles, pump, panniers, mud guards, helmets ( new euro rated 25 km ones, look quite smart too ) cycle shoes, fitting of new parts etc.

I would just like to say thank you for all your advice and help on this thread, it meant when I went into the shop I knew much better what I needed and wanted and could understand much better what he was saying on some subjects ( for example no front suspension being one)

Sorry again for the scatter brain approach, but it did help loads and am super excited for the bikes to arrive.

ohh just encase your wondering what bikes we ordered, it was the trek 520.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/520/520/p/24000/

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Met a cracking bloke in another LBS, he was fantastic, so helpful, we spent a good 3-4 hours talking about options and the best way forward, wife had a good chat about things.

everything from peddles and saddles to panniers and locks, spot on customer service.

I think for now on this will be my new go to bike shop, a nice simple 8 mile ride away, with a cracking little coffee shop about 10-15 mins away, so perfect.

So my budget sunk like the titanic, but we have a list of items to get, some will take a good few months to save up for, but he is happy doing that, the end cost for both bikes all kitted out to our specs comes to £3200 the bikes came in at £1100 each (£100 over my wifes budget for a bike and £400 over my budget, thanks to 12 months interest free, could push the boat out abit )

The extras, include locks, lights, peddles, pump, panniers, mud guards, helmets ( new euro rated 25 km ones, look quite smart too ) cycle shoes, fitting of new parts etc.

I would just like to say thank you for all your advice and help on this thread, it meant when I went into the shop I knew much better what I needed and wanted and could understand much better what he was saying on some subjects ( for example no front suspension being one)

Sorry again for the scatter brain approach, but it did help loads and am super excited for the bikes to arrive.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/520/520/p/24000/
Well done on the riding and a great choice of bikes, the Trek’s will be perfect.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

That's more like it. Hope you both enjoy them.

Thank you, we got there the hard way, but at least got there in the end :bicycle:
I think we really will enjoy them, when you see bikes in real life you can tell the difference between the budget and the slightly better ones, i think paying a little more is better in the long run.
The wife fell in love with the trek 920, but that was just too much for us even with interest free at £1600 a bike, but boy it looked smart!

Looks very nice and have fun on them.

Boring but ... advice, make sure they're covered on the house (or other) insurance and check the lock specification matches what is required for the insurance. Also, joining British Cycling or Cycling UK provides 3rd party insurance on the road as well as legal support.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A fine choice, Trek 520 is a great bicycle and the gold standard over in the States for touring. I am in the process of changing my 26" tourer over to a 950, an old MTB frame following much the same geometry as the older 520, a little posher in some places, but I think the 520 is a fine choice. What will you choose for panniers?

Top Bottom