Planning sick days off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Just looking at another thread about days off, I was just wondering whether people plan sick days off in advance.

Sometimes I think it's a waste when you can get probably get about 10 extra days holiday sick a year. If you've got man flu or a hangover or something, if you dug deep you could really drag yourself in the office and not waste them.

Definitely a new years resolution to be a bit more foresighted and constructive with sick days.

bonj2

Absolutely valid point. I empathise completely, as I do this aswell.

Never EVER call in sick when you actually are sick, unless you literally can't possibly get up. The main reason being, like you say, it wastes a sick day - which is like a holiday but effectively free. Another reason is you probably won't be doing anything productive at home, and you'll only be bored and won't necessarily feel any better just 'cos you're at home instead of work.
Last but by no means least - third important reason is, you will be seen to be the sort of person who goes to work when he's ill - so when you actually do call in sick, they will think you must be really ill. You are therefore unlikely to ever get questionned.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
Never EVER call in sick when you actually are sick, unless you literally can't possibly get up.

I've kind of been there with that one, and it's a tricky one.

I think I've been genuinely sick once, ever, and that time I kind of felt proud and actually crawled to the phone just to experience for the first time in my life a bit of honesty in the phoning in sick thing.

bonj2

I never ever get actually sick, it's always just a cold or headache, but it can be a bad flu/migraine.
My first employer got shirty when I phoned him up saying I had a cold. But if I said FLU instead, he was fine with it. Apparently to that company flu was worthy of a day off but a 'cold' wasn't! ;):tongue:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

One of the things that got me thinking about this, was going abroad on holiday with a mate.

When he got there the first thing he did was ring in sick to work???? He made himself look all moany and fragile, rang in, did a heartfelt 'phewwwww...', and then it was like 'are the bars open yet?'

Jaded

He's have been shitting himself if he worked for me.

"Oh, dear, that sounds horrible. I'll pop round later to see how you are - it's on my way home"

;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

He *did* shoot himself, every morning when he had to get up at 8am, find a phone, and ring in again to say he was still sick. And he was over it about half an hour later. I think I was more worried about it than him

snorri

Legendary Member
You don't get sick leave when you retire, it's just go go go everyday, no breaks, no Bank Holidays no time off at Christmas, New Year or Easter.
You youngsters just don't know how well off you are.;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

snorri said:
You youngsters just don't know how well off you are.;)

Exactly. If people would spend a bit more time working out:

-How well they were before they chucked a worthless sicky
-How well they are likely to be in the near future when they might most need a sicky holiday

Then they might be able to wangle about an extra 50% holidays a year making them both more physically and mentally well

snorri

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Then they might be able to wangle about an extra 50% holidays a year making them both more physically and mentally well

Life is not meant to be a holiday Abitrary, you are meant to suffer for much of the time. If you don't suffer, then you don't know how well off you are when you are not suffering.
You just don't seem to understand.;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

snorri said:
Life is not meant to be a holiday Abitrary, you are meant to suffer for much of the time. If you don't suffer, then you don't know how well off you are when you are not suffering.
You just don't seem to understand.;)

Wot? I have spent more time in my life working out ways to skive and suffered more crises of conscience over skives, successful or not....

All for the good of people who might not necessarily have the mental capacity or desire to skive.

I feel like I'm whistling in the dark sometimes. I really do.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
For those who work on a roster system, there is possibly a system of requesting days off. It takes time to arrange the off-duty, please do not ask us to change it just to suit you after it has been completed. Either find someone to swap with you and then tell us or keep your mouth shut and just take it off.
If I have given you Monday & Tuesday off but you want to change to Friday and it can't be done, it's odds-on that you will be off next Friday!

simoncc

One of the odd developments in the workplaces I've been at recently is the post sickie interview. My current employer calls these 'welcome back' interviews even if you've only been off for one day.

Just what is the point of them?

Top Bottom