Plant advice needed please........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me and Mrs Smoo have never possessed so much as one green finger between us.

However, a major reason we moved to this house from a terraced house 15 years ago was because SWMBO wanted a garden, but after buying at the top of the market she very quickly realised she hates gardening :wacko:

Anyway we've had it as a largely maintenance free affair for a number of years now, but 'we' decided to make more of a feature of it now I've finished my furloughed decorating :surrender:

So in a attempt of acheiving a quiet life I've created this raised bed jobbie and a couple of trough planters out of pallets, so the question is what the frig to put in them?

Any ideas from the green fingered ones amongst you would be very welcome.

:cheers:

PS: I have got new fence panels coming next week to replace the ones on the left ;)

Could grow some fruit and veg?
Plum tree (or similar) in the centre with some lettuce, herbs, in the planters?

tom73

Guru
Look's nice sunny spot is it like that all day or part?
What's the soil like under that ?
What's your budget ?
What do you like plant wise flowers , foliage , ect?
I'd do some veg in the planters you can mix it up bedding plants and veg. Strawberries be nice coming over the sides Apline ones are great tiny but nice a bit different.

pawl

Legendary Member
Me and Mrs Smoo have never possessed so much as one green finger between us.

However, a major reason we moved to this house from a terraced house 15 years ago was because SWMBO wanted a garden, but after buying at the top of the market she very quickly realised she hates gardening :wacko:

Anyway we've had it as a largely maintenance free affair for a number of years now, but 'we' decided to make more of a feature of it now I've finished my furloughed decorating :surrender:

So in a attempt of acheiving a quiet life I've created this raised bed jobbie and a couple of trough planters out of pallets, so the question is what the frig to put in them?

Any ideas from the green fingered ones amongst you would be very welcome.

:cheers:

View attachment 525354

PS: I have got new fence panels coming next week to replace the ones on the left ;)

Acer Palmatum Under plant with low growing perennials. One word of caution acers prefer dappled shade to bright sunshine

Jody

Stubborn git
I'd ram the planters full of bedding plants for some nice colour in summer. You might struggle to get any this year though as the garden centres seem to have been stripped (around here). Stick some nice perennials in the circle. That way you can just cut them back to the floor at the end of each year and they'll come back the year after.

I'm also not very green fingered so I'm going with the low maintenance option. Don't ask me what plants though :laugh:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Could grow some lavender for the local bee population. You could also make small bags of scented lavender tea bags and leave them around the house for the smell.

They tend to be pretty easy to care for.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'd put a statement pot in the middle and make the rest into a densely planted gravel herb garden.

Low and easy maintenance and functional.

Looking for an effect like this in my garden, planted less than a year ago.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Look's nice sunny spot is it like that all day or part? It gets a lot of sun in the morning, then its largely shaded by a mahoosive oak tree to the rear that the feckin' council won't deal with!
What's the soil like under that ? It's not the best TBH but at the same soil is soil is soil to me, so wadda I know :laugh:
What's your budget ? As small as possible, especially we would like to move from here as soon as possible.
What do you like plant wise flowers , foliage , ect? Honestly not got a single scooby about plants at all :wacko:

Top Bottom