Plant advice needed please........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you are looking to move I would simply fill it with low cost perennials. These should start to come available in mid June from B&Q and the like.

If you decide to stay I would strongly echo the suggestion of a nice Acer, a lowish growing one perhaps with purple cut leaf foliage. A decent one will set you back £50-75 but is a worthwhile investment. Acers take a long time to develop, don't buy an apparent bargain for £15!! Underplanting with low growing, strongly coloured foliage perennials will work very well. Offset the Acer, don't plant it in the middle.

Definitely plant your containers with colourful seasonal bedding. There is currently a 2-3 week gap in supply as many growers stopped production due to Covid-19. I spent the last 22 years of my career in bedding plant production. I happen to know some major producers have ramped up production as fast as possible to satisfy current demand.

Your soil looks poor and lacking in any organic matter. This will not sustain plant growth adequately. If you are staying you should add significant quantities of bulky organic matter. It looks as though you've riddled the soil, a common error.

Don't go out and buy peat based compost to do this. Total waste of money and another common error. Look to buy a "soil improver" or "soil conditioner."

I'd suggest you Google "soil improver" and read what the RHS have to say. Royal Horticultural Society.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Your soil looks poor and lacking in any organic matter. This will not sustain plant growth adequately. If you are staying you should add significant quantities of bulky organic matter. It looks as though you've riddled the soil, a common error.
The soil is quoted by the SUPPLIER as Organic Border Soil, and when I explained what I needed it for this was advised as the right choice, of their options at least.

Now I've Googled what riddled soil is :laugh: I can state that it's not been riddled, not be me anyway ^_^ It was delivered on Tuesday and all I've done is to barrow it from the front to the back, chuck it in the circle and rake it something like.

The pots and planters are starting to take shape now, but we haven't made a dent on the circle of doom yet :surrender:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@smokeysmoo - sorry. Obviously it's difficult to tell from your garden image. I've looked at the supplier image, they don't appear to describe what the product actually is, and from what I can see there is a high proportion of composted bark in it. It will probably do the job but it doesn't match my expectation of an organic border soil nor one that is rich is organic matter. I'll post a picture for you a bit later.

Glad to read the planters a re taking shape.

tom73

Guru
If you planning on a move , not sure how good the soil is then keep it cheep and simple.
A good statement plant in a big pot will be good start Magnolia make good ones plenty of different one to look at or some other feature.
Sweet-peas maybe in a pot.
As for the rest of it cheap and simple look for cottage garden plant seeds pick what you like and board seed them. Or a good wildlife mix. Both wont worry about poor soil just need a little TLC along the way and you're done just keep up the watering and keep on top of weeds. Or split the bed in 4 each block with same colour bedding.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@smokeysmoo - this is pure organic matter which will really enrich a soil. It's homemade but illustrates what I feel is needed

Hicky

Guru
If you want maintenance free, a wigwam to hold a climbing plant.
Wisterias or Clementis or something....that’s if you’re not thinking of moving. Given some time it will give loads of flowers.
You could do one half ie the non sunny side and plant bedding plants in the space in front until the years the climbers become established as flower....?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Go for a standard Bay in the middle. A focal point that’s formal, but you can also eat it!
As others have said, lavender hedge around the edge and plant the middle with perennials and some seasonal annual plants.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Right then, the pots and planters are all sorted with a variety of plants and foliage, but no decision made yet on the circle of doom.

I've started thinking about seeding it with wild flower seeds and leaving it to it's own devices, is this feasible or does it require a lot of prepping and tending until things are established?

Here are some pics of things so far.

Attachments

• 20200601_104039.jpg
    20200601_104039.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200601_104034.jpg
    20200601_104034.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200601_104022.jpg
    20200601_104022.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200601_104004.jpg
    20200601_104004.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200601_104011.jpg
    20200601_104011.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 6

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Right then, the pots and planters are all sorted with a variety of plants and foliage, but no decision made yet on the circle of doom.

I've started thinking about seeding it with wild flower seeds and leaving it to it's own devices, is this feasible or does it require a lot of prepping and tending until things are established?

why do you want to move as soon as possible if you havent long bought it???

tom73

Guru

Yes basically sow , rake , keep it watered , keep the weeds down till things get going and you're away. They don't need much but if you do a bit TLC it will pay you back.

PK99

Legendary Member

If you are thinking "wild flower meadow" your soil is far too rich, grass will swamp out the wildflowers. The crappiest of crappy building site soil is ideal for a meadow!

Top Bottom