Plastic Rear Mudguard Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have zip tied to the chainstay bridge. Drill two v small holes down centreline about 1cm apart. Loop a small ziptie through. Lasts at least 10 years, rattle free .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blob of silicon or evostick to stop the rattle, assuming the plastic bracket is still OK. Or some electrical tape.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a ziptie bodge that I did as a temporary fix about 7 years ago when my (metal) bridge broke. Still going strong.

Although I'm not in the habit of taking mudguards off for summer, so no need to un-bodge and re-bodge each year.

silva

Über Member
I have zip tied to the chainstay bridge. Drill two v small holes down centreline about 1cm apart. Loop a small ziptie through. Lasts at least 10 years, rattle free .
I tried that in the past, but the zipties always broke after a while. Alike the plastic became brittle. Maybe all that I tried were not suitable for the conditions, and better ones out there, don't know.
After that I started using washing line - plastic with a stiff steel core. I drill two holes, bend it in a U, insert it, then bend the U again open (or close, depending on avail space, preferrably towards a direction that water doesn't get between steel core and insulation (rust).
Benefit is that you can bend the U again open, to remove things to work on the bike, and reuse it.

I tried that in the past, but the zipties always broke after a while. Alike the plastic became brittle. Maybe all that I tried were not suitable for the conditions, and better ones out there, don't know.
After that I started using washing line - plastic with a stiff steel core. I drill two holes, bend it in a U, insert it, then bend the U again open (or close, depending on avail space, preferrably towards a direction that water doesn't get between steel core and insulation (rust).
Benefit is that you can bend the U again open, to remove things to work on the bike, and reuse it.
Some cable ties are more uv resistant, others are for indoor use or biodegradable.

faster

Über Member
Yes, lve done that on two of my other bikes and as you say, its a great fix.
But on the Ti frame, the brake bridge is a odd shape and also tapered, which means its that that easy to apply the cable tie fix. The gap between the bridge and the mudguard is the problem, which is really annouying to be honest!

There doesn't seem to be any reason for the brake bridge to be such an annoying shape.

I can totally understand why you'd not want to do this, but if it was mine, i'd grind that pointy bit off the brake bridge to make it a more appropriate shape. Extra clearance too!

cut the fender at that point. raise it. use 2 elbow brackets, 1 for each half. it's not pretty but it works. if I have time I'll dig up pics of how I've done it on a cpl bikes. but like I said, it's not pretty. EDIT - I think so far I only found front fork crown pics, but the same applies in the rear

HYBRID 2.jpg

HYBRID 1.jpg

MTB 7.jpg

MTB 5.jpg

very useful on a MTB
MTB 6.jpg

on this one I made use of some rivets
fender_washer_5_18d4b2d6b3b2e26f043e103523f089a632752777.jpg

fender_nut_washers_8d0cc2438c0a9f43ea57668bbac534e4be8b5827.jpg

these doo-dads come in handy
ecuk2l9l_fb09eb4b1ce9198ad2170127909d046065e37530.jpg

fender_bracket_2_61a38d8c04966dc129f1b5a4cb626b77e0a4b4c5.jpg

getting a thru bolt the right diameter & length, to go thru the brake bridge, is always a chore
another side view
small_front_2_after_5ac4883cb2d6df4c0db43bded43d73be45360976.jpg

Last edited:
rear brake bridge w just 1 half. (looks like I was using a standard clip at that point) but because it was cut it could be mounted higher
rear brake bridge w just 1 half b.jpg

I would later get the other half mounted but having trouble finding a pic. here we got but not a closeup of the rear
front and back.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
cut the fender at that point. raise it. use 2 elbow brackets, 1 for each half. it's not pretty but it works. if I have time I'll dig up pics of how I've done it on a cpl bikes. but like I said, it's not pretty. EDIT - I think so far I only found front fork crown pics, but the same applies in the rear

Nice mod, but on a road bike with 28mm tyres and mudguards I dont have a great deal of clearance, if only I had then resolving the problem would be a lot easier!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
There doesn't seem to be any reason for the brake bridge to be such an annoying shape.

I can totally understand why you'd not want to do this, but if it was mine, i'd grind that pointy bit off the brake bridge to make it a more appropriate shape. Extra clearance too!

I agree its a really bizarre shape and from what I can tell, it serves no real purpose for being like that at all. You are also right, I have no desire in taking a small grinder to a £2k Ti frame!

Top Bottom