Plastic shell has come off my helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aembleton

The plastic shell has come off my bike helmet. I didn't have an accident, I just picked it up to cycle home and it came off in my hands. I still cycled, just without the plastic shell.

What does the plastic shell provide? Is it just there to protect the polystyrene underneath from wear and tear? Should I replace my helmet?

rusky

CC Addict
It's recommended to replace them every 5 years.

I don't know what purpose they serve. The cover may be cosmetic or it may provide protection from mechanical damage or protection from the elements.

Or all of the above!

I would imagine in the event of a crash it dissipates the energy around the full surface area and prevents the polystyrene from snapping. Don't know if you could glue the plastic back on or if this would effect performance, I would be tempted to try or buy a new helmet.

If you buy into the logic of helmet wearing - then replace it. It's bust...

+1

The shell is there to hold the polystyrene together in an accident and to provide a smoother surface for sliding. If you believe the helmet is going to do anything you don't want it coming apart on you when you crash.

Norm

+1

The shell is there to hold the polystyrene together in an accident and to provide a smoother surface for sliding. If you believe the helmet is going to do anything you don't want it coming apart on you when you crash.
Indeed. Whatever you might believe it does do well, one thing which polystyrene doesn't do well is hold together in a direct impact.

siadwell

Guru
Don't know if you could glue the plastic back on or if this would effect performance, I would be tempted to try or buy a new helmet.

Gluing is probably not a good idea as polystyrene doesn't take kindly to some adhesives.

Older style helmets tend to use sticky tape to fasten the edge of the shell to the polystyrene. Newer ones are of in-mould construction, where the polystyrene and shell fuse together when the helmet is made.

Sounds like you'd better bin yours. If you expect it to work as designed, anyway.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The OP is Mark Cavendish an I clam my £5

That made me laugh! :biggrin:

To the OP, what was holding the shell on?

Why cant you just glue it back on?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gluing is probably not a good idea as polystyrene doesn't take kindly to some adhesives.

Older style helmets tend to use sticky tape to fasten the edge of the shell to the polystyrene. Newer ones are of in-mould construction, where the polystyrene and shell fuse together when the helmet is made.

Sounds like you'd better bin yours. If you expect it to work as designed, anyway.

what he said. I once had a spesh helmet where the shell was held on to the body by a strip of insulating tape around the edge of the shell and two 2" strips of double side tape under the shell.

Top Bottom