Playing in the street.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was waiting fo you to do the jumps ! :whistle:

simongt

Guru
Back in the day, there used to be designated playstreets. I was too wee to understand or indeed care about the legal arrangements of motor traffic vs. bairns, but it worked for us - ! :okay:
Okay. there was a lot less traffic about then, but the point was that such streets existed.

Back in the day, there used to be designated playstreets. I was too wee to understand or indeed care about the legal arrangements of motor traffic vs. bairns, but it worked for us - ! :okay:
Okay. there was a lot less traffic about then, but the point was that such streets existed.

They still do here: they have a 7km/h (4mph) speed limit and are very common.

Unfortunately it only takes a couple of drivers to ignore this and the system stops working as well as it should.

Boopop

Guru
Great to see kids playing outside instead of sitting in front of the TV

Sadly they often don't have much choice when their once quiet residential road has now become a rat run, and it's a dangerous walk to the nearest park. I note that the road in this video is a cul-de-sac, so doesn't suffer this issue. Measures to improve safe active transport and reduce through-roads for cars help. Look up your local Living Streets group if this sort of thing interests you.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sadly they often don't have much choice when their once quiet residential road has now become a rat run, and it's a dangerous walk to the nearest park. I note that the road in this video is a cul-de-sac, so doesn't suffer this issue. Measures to improve safe active transport and reduce through-roads for cars help. Look up your local Living Streets group if this sort of thing interests you.
Yes I fully understand that, we live on a cul-de-sac, yet as they have stopped parents parking on the next cul-de-sac up the estate which is outside the school gates, we get mothers (mostly) now screaming up our road, as they are late picking up little Johnny & Tabatha up, I'm sure they come into the road in-excess of 30mph & then accelerate up to the end.

Boopop

Guru
Yes I fully understand that, we live on a cul-de-sac, yet as they have stopped parents parking on the next cul-de-sac up the estate which is outside the school gates, we get mothers (mostly) now screaming up our road, as they are late picking up little Johnny & Tabatha up, I'm sure they come into the road in-excess of 30mph & then accelerate up to the end.
Ugh, that awful :sad:

I remember the street I played in as a teenager. 30 limit. technically a cul-de-sac, but served several residential off-shoots.[just checked the map - we were usually about 400metres from the end]

we played, a car approached, they slowed down, we shifted (usually straight away), repeat: everyone got on with their day. No "Play street" signage needed. No parents worried about us, no injuries.

Boopop

Guru
I remember the street I played in as a teenager. 30 limit. technically a cul-de-sac, but served several residential off-shoots.[just checked the map - we were usually about 400metres from the end]

we played, a car approached, they slowed down, we shifted (usually straight away), repeat: everyone got on with their day. No "Play street" signage needed. No parents worried about us, no injuries.

I suspect a car approaching was a much rarer occurence in years gone by. Modal filters and play streets are the only way to reduce their numbers on residential streets or keep them out of residential streets entirely, respectively. If you tried what you suggested on the average residential road these days there'd either be an accident very quickly or the kids would spend more time waiting for there to be no traffic than actual playtime. There's too many cars.

1617704526239.png

(Source: https://assets.publishing.service.g...ttachment_data/file/8995/vehicles-summary.pdf)

I suspect a car approaching was a much rarer occurence in years gone by. Modal filters and play streets are the only way to reduce their numbers on residential streets or keep them out of residential streets entirely, respectively.
["much rarer" - your graphs suggests 50% rarer (at best). But anyway: ]
the point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't need to keep them out entirely. Live-and-let-live can go a long way.

Although I do agree with you that we have too many cars generally!

Boopop

Guru
["much rarer" - your graphs suggests 50% rarer (at best). But anyway: ]
the point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't need to keep them out entirely. Live-and-let-live can go a long way.

Although I do agree with you that we have too many cars generally!

Well part of the issue back then there was enough capacity on main roads that drivers rarely used residential roads as rat runs. The two options are either build more roads that just encourages more car ownership (see last fifty years), or encourage fewer car journeys. Live and let live (and build more roads) is what we have had since the fifties and it doesn't work...it just reinforces car dominance.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ancient Mr Cox, whose family lived in this house before the war, told of being scolded for breaking a front window whilst playing football in the street. In those days the street was the A30, the main road to the SW.

Top Bottom