Please help with removal of Shimano Hollowtech 1 Arm Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vale82

Hello,

I’d really appreciate some help please!!

I have a Specialized Rockhopper with the old Shimano Hollowtech arms.
I’d really like to remove these arms to put on my other Rockhopper but for the life of me I cannot see how this can be done!!
I’ve added some photo’s, please please can somebody help me!!
Thank you in advance!!
E3C1A784-DAD1-4D70-ACE3-08180C2905E7.jpeg
7F9FEC3F-607A-4DA4-A929-BFB346FB9747.jpeg
7E646A19-5279-4900-BA40-B800EF0A729C.jpeg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They are not Hollowtech, they are square taper.

You need an extractor to pull the cranks from the spindle -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17458504...Tr0wdbGU79dBmmvkPb3l|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

T4tomo

Guru
Well - they are original Hollowtech I which is square taper BB, not Hollowtech II which had its own type of BB, but above is correct - you need a standard square taper crank extractor. plenty of YouTube vids to explain.

If you have a decent bike maintenance kit this extractor will be in there. Many of us don't use it so we forget that it is indeed in the kit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you don't have a collection of bike tools you might like to consider this:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-bike-tool-box/_/R-p-145152
It has the crank extractor you need plus loads of other things you'll find useful in the course of time for working on bikes.

BTW my local bike mechanic hadn't seen a crank extractor before I gave him one, always used a hammer, works every time :okay:

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I had to remove a damaged crank exactly like this Shimano.

+ 1, it's a square taper crank extractor that will work.

I found out that not all square taper cranks have the diamond pattern fitting: some are square to the crank.

Ajax Bay

Guru
they are original Hollowtech I which is square taper BB
Hollowtech 1 was not ST but a flawed design with shallow splines (I have an H1 crankset and BB (bought in error/ignorance which I'll never install). Failed so often Shimano swiftly replaced with its current workmanlike standard: H2.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hollowtech 1 was not ST but a flawed design with shallow splines (I have an H1 crankset and BB (bought in error/ignorance which I'll never install). Failed so often Shimano swiftly replaced with its current workmanlike standard: H2.
In which case there must be two original Hollowtechs, the crank in the OPs picture clearly says Hollowtech. Are you sure you're not not thinking of the splined spindle Octalink which is now discontinued?

simongt

Guru
With a crank extractor, because of the necessarily fine thread, it's essential that the extractor is correctly threaded all the way onto the crank end. Also be sure to keep the extractor threads very clean and well greased. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's a good video. I watched it to make sure that the mechanic mentioned fully retracting the centre part of the crank extractor tool before screwing in the outer part. He DID say that. The reason is because of what @simongt has just posted while I have been typing!

I once made the mistake of screwing the outer part of an extractor in with the centre part extended. I ended up extracting the thread from the crank rather than extracting the crank itself! :laugh:

Mr Celine

Discordian
That's a good video. I watched it to make sure that the mechanic mentioned fully retracting the centre part of the crank extractor tool before screwing in the outer part. He DID say that. The reason is because of what @simongt has just posted while I have been typing!

I once made the mistake of screwing the outer part of an extractor in with the centre part extended. I ended up extracting the thread from the crank rather than extracting the crank itself! :laugh:
Been there, done that. :blush:

Ajax Bay

Guru
In which case there must be two original Hollowtechs, the crank in the OPs picture clearly says Hollowtech. Are you sure you're not not thinking of the splined spindle Octalink which is now discontinued?
Shimano used 'Hollowtech' for their cranks too, as well as their Hollowtech II BB/crankset interface. Hence 'Hollowtech' is part of the crank logo (in OP image).
You're right: I'm confusing this with Octalink 1 and 2 in my comment above.
So what is Hollowtech 1?

With a crank extractor, because of the necessarily fine thread, it's essential that the extractor is correctly threaded all the way onto the crank end. Also be sure to keep the extractor threads very clean and well greased. :okay:
The hard steel tool threads into soft aluminium cranks. If you cross the theads you damage the cranks. Clean the crank threads out with wd40 and a toothbrush ( pref old). As you apply the tool by hand, rotate in the wrong direction until you hear the threads click in place then gently rotate in correct direction by hand.

Top Bottom