1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Make It Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 20 May 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

A major perk of cycle-commuting for me - (apart, of course, from the health benefits; the destressing benefits; the benefit of not looking at silent morose train-commuters; of not being stuck in a traffic jam) is the economic benefit.

Since the Summer I was happy tootling in on a hybrid. Then I got better. So I am now the proud owner of a second (brand new) bike.

Fair enough. I can justify that cost.

But now I am also considering clipless pedals; cycling shoes; track-pump; tights; new helmet; cap(s); new summer and winter goves; new lights; camera (maybe); new waterproof top; shades (?);

WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!!!

Is this what happens when the cycling addiction bug kicks in?

I'm going to take a breather on this. I even woke up at 5 on Sunday am to go out for a tootle. And stopped off at a local LIDL last night on the way home for cycling gear.

Whatever happened to being content with my football socks as mittens; pootling along at 12 mph; in a Tesco's waterproof?

2. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

You haven't been listening to Bonj have you?!xx(:smile:

3. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Bad news, CoG - it never does..... xx(

4. Mac66

Mac66 Senior Member

Ahhh, commuter bling. Love it.

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Crock of Gold, don't fight it just enjoy and remember this can go on for many many years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Worth it for the increased efficiency and for securing your feet when pedalling in the wet, in fact, one could almost say that they're essential.
    Improperly inflated tyres can be dangerous, I think this could be classed as an essential too.
    Just think of the danger you're in from looser clothing catching on traffic and street furniture! These too are essential.
    If you wear one, they do need to be replaced every so often...
    A good choice as a helmet liner or a stand alone item. Obviously they get sweaty, so who wouldn't need more than one?
    Your hands could slip on the bars due to worn out old gloves, also essential.
    Surely no one could begrudge you these crucial pieces of safety equipment?
    What if you caught hypothermia due to your old top letting in rain?
    Essential again - no one would want you careering across the road with your vision impaired by glare.
    As you'll see above, all the things you've outlined are perfectly reasonable, and in most cases, essential to your health and well being. Carry on :biggrin:

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

There will come a time when you will have just about everything you need. It then goes into maintenance mode where you will just be replacing worn out gear or embarking on projects like converting to dynamo hub and lights etc.

8. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

In my mind I've already budgetted for the above. I've spread the cost out over the next three months.

It is all, of course, essential.:biggrin:

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It's good to know you've accepted the inevitable and are enjoying the experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

That's what your "crock of gold" is for isn't it...?;)

11. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Ha. You're not even close to the obsession. You'll be there when you have a four-month-old baby in the house, a broken washing machine, and you buy a new bike before you buy a new washing machine.

Then you'll discover the power of the formula "The number of bikes you need = n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own".

12. monnet

monnet Über Member

When does this happen? I've been waiting years for this moment but fear I must be somehow cursed with never having all the necessary gear.

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

all essentials, or at least core things, buy them and enjoy them, that's what money should be for

Tynan, just ordered his second pairs of mitts, they are championship crochet ones after all

[​IMG]

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Don't forget - there is never bad weather, just bad clothing - so make sure you get prepped up over then next few months.

It doesn't stop, you will save money and learn how to maintain your 'steeds', but there is always something else.....you NEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. dantheman

dantheman New Member

i think the first thing i need is a bigger bank balance!!!