Please Make It Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
User1314 said:
Whatever happened to being content with my football socks as mittens; pootling along at 12 mph; in a Tesco's waterproof?

You haven't been listening to Bonj have you?!xx(:smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
User1314 said:
A major perk of cycle-commuting for me - (apart, of course, from the health benefits; the destressing benefits; the benefit of not looking at silent morose train-commuters; of not being stuck in a traffic jam) is the economic benefit.

Since the Summer I was happy tootling in on a hybrid. Then I got better. So I am now the proud owner of a second (brand new) bike.

Fair enough. I can justify that cost.

But now I am also considering clipless pedals; cycling shoes; track-pump; tights; new helmet; cap(s); new summer and winter goves; new lights; camera (maybe); new waterproof top; shades (?);

WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!!!

Is this what happens when the cycling addiction bug kicks in?

I'm going to take a breather on this. I even woke up at 5 on Sunday am to go out for a tootle. And stopped off at a local LIDL last night on the way home for cycling gear.

Whatever happened to being content with my football socks as mittens; pootling along at 12 mph; in a Tesco's waterproof?

Bad news, CoG - it never does..... xx(

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
But now I am also considering clipless pedals; cycling shoes;
Worth it for the increased efficiency and for securing your feet when pedalling in the wet, in fact, one could almost say that they're essential.
track-pump;
Improperly inflated tyres can be dangerous, I think this could be classed as an essential too.
Just think of the danger you're in from looser clothing catching on traffic and street furniture! These too are essential.
new helmet;
If you wear one, they do need to be replaced every so often...
A good choice as a helmet liner or a stand alone item. Obviously they get sweaty, so who wouldn't need more than one?
new summer and winter goves;
Your hands could slip on the bars due to worn out old gloves, also essential.
new lights; camera
Surely no one could begrudge you these crucial pieces of safety equipment?
new waterproof top;
What if you caught hypothermia due to your old top letting in rain?
Essential again - no one would want you careering across the road with your vision impaired by glare.
WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!!!
As you'll see above, all the things you've outlined are perfectly reasonable, and in most cases, essential to your health and well being. Carry on :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
There will come a time when you will have just about everything you need. It then goes into maintenance mode where you will just be replacing worn out gear or embarking on projects like converting to dynamo hub and lights etc.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's what your "User1314" is for isn't it...?;)

Ha. You're not even close to the obsession. You'll be there when you have a four-month-old baby in the house, a broken washing machine, and you buy a new bike before you buy a new washing machine.

Then you'll discover the power of the formula "The number of bikes you need = n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own".

monnet

Guru
domtyler said:
There will come a time when you will have just about everything you need. It then goes into maintenance mode where you will just be replacing worn out gear or embarking on projects like converting to dynamo hub and lights etc.

When does this happen? I've been waiting years for this moment but fear I must be somehow cursed with never having all the necessary gear.

Tynan

Veteran
all essentials, or at least core things, buy them and enjoy them, that's what money should be for

Tynan, just ordered his second pairs of mitts, they are championship crochet ones after all

20080108_nalini_retro_mitts.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget - there is never bad weather, just bad clothing - so make sure you get prepped up over then next few months.

It doesn't stop, you will save money and learn how to maintain your 'steeds', but there is always something else.....you NEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mootaineer

I got bitten a few years back.
Even though my spending has dropped off, now and again I feel I need to experiment with the latest this or a new version of that to see how it fares compared to my current gear.

It takes a while to find what works for you too and often that costs $$$!

I have made lots of expensive shopping mistakes:
- Endura bibtights (restrict the knees too much). I now use 3/4s instead in winter.
- various portable pumps (the only good ones have been the Quicker Pro and Topeak Road/Mountain Morph). The rest are rubbish. I bought a Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini based on this review: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3120
...and I like the idea of a screw-on rather than press fit pump but it's really hard work to get to high PSIs. My Quicker Pro is so much better. Why did I bother! :wacko:
- a selection of rucksacks. I spent a small fortune trying to find the best rucksack, only to discover panniers and barbags :biggrin:. I still occasionally daydream about getting a courier bag.
- Assos bibshorts (FI Mille). I find the padding too thick. My favourites are the Giordana Tenax now.
- 2 x Endura Hummvee 3/4 baggy shorts. I eventually found that they increased the incidence of saddle sores. They are just on the hanger now in my wardrobe. I like the "courier look" but pure lycra is just so much faster...!
- Adidas T Mobile shorts which I bought on a whim a few years ago while abroad. I'm not really into wearing team kit! :biggrin:
- lycra shorts (non-bib). I just don't find a use for them anymore.
- 2 x the wrong type of chaintug for my singlespeeds
- probably lots more...:eek:

You're not alone...you're definitely not alone...! :sad:

I could sell these items on eBay but if anyone wants to make an offer for anything...let me know! :biggrin:

Top Bottom