please reassure me (clipless pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bogart

Hi, I recently decided to upgrade bike and went from a reliable mountain bike to a racing bike with clips and well.. so far I've only been able to cycle inside my house as I don't feel confident enough.
More than the clip out, my issue seems to be the clip in from still as I loose my balance.
Never had a balance problem on my mountain bike and never used to even put my feet on the floor at the traffic light.
Any suggestions? because it's really frustrating to have a new great bike and have to use the old one..

briank

On a quiet, level road, in a lowish gear, rest your left foot on the kerb and clip your right foot in. Raise right pedal to 2 o'clock and push off. Just let your left foot rest on its pedal - you can keep momentum up using right leg all the way round. When rolling along at a comfortable speed, rest your right foot at the bottom of its stroke and freewheel for a few yards as you try to get you left foot clipped in. You may have to flip the left pedal over.
Don't try it with traffic about!

Hope this helps - and I hope I've not misundertood your post.

Good luck.

bogart

Thank you so much... I just try immediately!

briank said:
On a quiet, level road, in a lowish gear, rest your left foot on the kerb and clip your right foot in. Raise right pedal to 2 o'clock and push off. Just let your left foot rest on its pedal - you can keep momentum up using right leg all the way round. When rolling along at a comfortable speed, rest your right foot at the bottom of its stroke and freewheel for a few yards as you try to get you left foot clipped in. You may have to flip the left pedal over.
Don't try it with traffic about!

Hope this helps - and I hope I've not misundertood your post.

Good luck.

Janeyb

Just gone clipless myself - first commute today - and have the loosest setting possible on my cleats so I know I can get my foot unclipped really quickly. It feels great so just stick with it and hopefully you'll crack it.

Bugner

I am only a recent clipless convert, but as said before it is like driving the car. There is a model known as the unconcisous and conscious competence, but I think the following one is far more realistic.

Bugner

oops, from above......

1. UNCONCIOUS INCONTINENCE

Just like a baby, you wet yourself and you know nothing about it

2. CONSCIOUS INCONTINENCE

Now at toddler stage, you know you are wetting yourself but still can't really stop it

3. CONSCIOUS CONTINENT

Getting older now and you have to think about going to the toilet or asking for the potty, occassional mishaps still happen

4. UNCONSIOUS CONTINENT

You sleep all night, wake up and then have a pee :blush:

Top Bottom