please reassure me (clipless pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I'm worried.

I've recently converted to clipless pedals and am having a few problems. Basically i keep uncliping 30 m before junctions, traffic lights or anywhere else i might have to stop. But I've fallen off twice and both times it's where i've had to stop suddenly and unexpectedly.

My fear now is that i'm not going to be able to unclip 30m early all of the time and i don't want my inability to unclip quickly to cause me to fall in a dangerous place (like in front of a car!)

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

DLB

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What pedals do you have, and do they have an adjuster so you can make freeing your foot easier?

Don't worry about unclipping early, we all do that at first. As you find the right setting for unclipping and get more comfortable with them you will find yourself unclipping later or slow earlier in order to not have to stop and unclip at all.

gavintc

Guru
Practice, practice and confidence. After a time, the twist of the foot at the lights becomes second nature. Indeed, after a short time, you will find yourself doing the twist on flat pedals.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
It is a bit un-nerving when you first go clipless and as you'll read on the forum, everyone has had the odd "clipless moment". From what you say, I reckon you should practice clipping in and out whilst stationary a thousand times if necessary until you can literally do it with your eyes closed. Get yourself positioned next to a wall or similar and support yourself. If the tension is adjustable on your pedals, set it at its slackest for now until you become used to the ritual. You will eventually find you can clip out instantly, and almost as quickly clip in again.

Stick with it as you will never go back to any other system once you are accustomed to clipless.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Not the expert as I think you went clipless before I did!

Why not unclip the left one and lean to the left if you have to stop suddenly in such semi-awkward circumstances? There's the curb, not so much to your left and falling out of the road. If you need to get going/not stop after all you can pedal slightly with the right leg and left not clipped in/whilst trying to? Works for me in busy/slow traffic. I'm better at clipping in with the left leg and lead off with the right though which is why I think it works for me.

Instead of 'twisting your foot' try throwing your leg outward, your foot will follow quite naturally. I almost always clip-out by moving my heel inwards. mainly cos I walk like a duck and find it easier but if I'm in a hurry the leg throw thing works best.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Thanks for the quick replies.

When i try to unclip by moving my heel out i never have a problem. The adjuster is set on the easiest setting on both sides of both pedals. The problem (and fear have) is forgetting how to unclip and falling sideways into a vehicle.

I suppose i could try doing it stationary and that might help. Especially if i do it loads of times.

I have the cheepish shimano pedals from wiggle (about £25) and shimano shoes.

gbb

Legendary Member
Concentration and anticipation.....
I think we all struggle for a few weeks...i did, until i started concentrating and anticipating ahead. I was leaving it till not literally the last moment, but a bit too late to even think about it, let alone actually do it.
Get your mind ready as you approach potential problems, and consciously think about what you're going to do.
I feel much more confident since i started thinking ahead and getting my foot ready to unclip if the need arose.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Your confidence will soon grow. I used to clip early but keep my foot on the pedal and coast. The distance got shorter and shorter and now all i do is coast and move my foot slightly so if i do need to unclip then i just have to push my heel out some more and i'm free. But if you tence up then it wont work that well and you have more of a chance of unclipping i find.
Not confident enough to trackstand whilst clipped in though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
DLB, I found doing it when stationary/very low speed helps but because I have in my mind left foot better at in/out I take that out first incase something goes wrong. I used to trackstand sometimes before SPDs though so I'm not sure how long it'd have taken to get used to it from scratch.

Maz

Guru
How long have you been riding clipless? You don't say.
Anticipation is key, I think.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Gerry Attrick said:
It is a bit un-nerving when you first go clipless and as you'll read on the forum, everyone has had the odd "clipless moment".
I haven't. ;):biggrin:

I have mine (still) set on pretty much the loosest setting allowable as my ankles are not the strongest in the world when it comes to putting rotational pressure on them.

Thinking ahead is the solution... but this obviously doesn't help when the inexpected happens. For the latter case it is just a matter of it becoming second nature. As GavinTC says, you start trying to unclip on flat pedals after a while!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I haven't. :smile::biggrin:

I have mine (still) set on pretty much the loosest setting allowable as my ankles are not the strongest in the world when it comes to putting rotational pressure on them.

Thinking ahead is the solution... but this obviously doesn't help when the inexpected happens. For the latter case it is just a matter of it becoming second nature. As GavinTC says, you start trying to unclip on flat pedals after a while!

Oh foolish, unwise tempter of fate!;)

Top Bottom